• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 1] E1 "Self-Erasure"

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Found this description today and it resonated a lot with me:

enneagramcentral.com said:
SELF-ERASURE LEADS TO OVERIDENTIFICATION WITH A TRADITION

Social Ones speak for the moral tradition. Their identification with the social tradition is their psychological compensation for their loss of self-awareness, what many writers and teachers call letting the self go to sleep, so they don't see any difference between what they think and what the tradition teaches. There is no "self" opinion, there is only the correct teaching of the tradition. This has a tendency to lead to self-righteousness because it is not the individual who is right, it is the tradition that is right.

I'd mentioned other times on the forum that, while E1 rule-evangelism can come across as arrogant, that it really isn't, and has nothing to do with us as individuals. No one ever seemed convinced, so this description was validating.

Questions for other 1s (just to begin discussion):

1) Do you relate?
2) If not, how would you describe the experience of rule-evangelism (or whatever else you'd call it)?
3) Is this 1 in general, instead of just social 1? (because that was my instinct (ha ha) upon reading it)

Things I'm also wondering:

1) how this self-erasure relates to that of, let's say, type 9
2) how and why type 1, apparently a self-erasure type, disintegrates to 4, which has an opposite relationship with the self (building an ideal one)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Really interesting. Only tangentially related, but I think Social 6 can operate in a very similar way. Perhaps this is part of the 6-1 "Prussian" link. There is an objective focus on the subject matter (tradition) and a lack of focus on subjective interpretation. For 6 I believe this occurs because of the lack of confidence that we can decide or interpret for ourselves, so we fill that hole with objective subject matter. That is how the 6 self-erases. How does the 1 self-erase... What drives a 1 to self-erase?

I will talk to my 9w1 about this and get back to you if he has any feedback from the 9 POV.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION] what did your 9w1 think?

--------------

Also summoning some other 1s in here: [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] [MENTION=7111]fidelia[/MENTION] [MENTION=15246]SD45T-2[/MENTION]

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Some other thoughts about this, now that I'm returning to the subject:

- Average and unhealthy E1s tend to blame others before blaming themselves, and tend to not be very self-aware (in the sense that they don't dwell a lot on why they do what they do -- except "because it's the right thing to do" and "because I don't want to do the wrong thing")
- When E1s do introspect a lot, it's because they're disintegrating to 4, so it's the really bad kind of introspection -- the kind that would make you not want to introspect again
- When E1 integrates to E7, that leads to even more avoidance of painful things, and with the E4 disintegration thing, introspection would be one of those painful things(?)

So maybe E1 self-erasure comes from the idea that the self, as it exists separately from ideal-following, is inherently evil, and the only way to escape that evil is by superimposing this other self onto your human self, to make it above human criticism? Thereby making the E1 just a tiny speck of good in an evil world -- but also no longer a "person" as we understand it. Or at least a person in denial.

The more I try to analyze it, the more depressing it is. :laugh:

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So maybe E1 self-erasure comes from the idea that the self, as it exists separately from ideal-following, is inherently evil, and the only way to escape that evil is by superimposing this other self onto your human self, to make it above human criticism? Thereby making the E1 just a tiny speck of good in an evil world -- but also no longer a "person" as we understand it. Or at least a person in denial.

(As you already know) I'm not e1, and it actually falls pretty low on my enneagram totem pole, but I thought I'd throw this out there- I'm pretty sure recently I read the Fauvres expressing the opinion that there isn't really a 'disintegration' point and an 'integration' point so much as there are two other points towards which a particular type both disintegrates and integrates? IOW: as an e5, 'growth' means supposedly integrating the positive aspects of both 7 and 8 and the negative aspects of both 7 and 8 will show up for disintegration. (There's a thread on this somewhere, started rather recently by highlander- and I tried looking for it but hot damn does highlander start a lot of threads...I opened up a bunch of tabs for threads I'd missed, which he'd started, while searching for the one I'm talking about...)

Anyway, my point here is that maybe think about the positive qualities of e4 as part of e1 integration?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
(As you already know) I'm not e1, and it actually falls pretty low on my enneagram totem pole, but I thought I'd throw this out there- I'm pretty sure recently I read the Fauvres expressing the opinion that there isn't really a 'disintegration' point and an 'integration' point so much as there are two other points towards which a particular type both disintegrates and integrates? IOW: as an e5, 'growth' means supposedly integrating the positive aspects of both 7 and 8 and the negative aspects of both 7 and 8 will show up for disintegration. (There's a thread on this somewhere, started rather recently by highlander- and I tried looking for it but hot damn does highlander start a lot of threads...I opened up a bunch of tabs for threads I'd missed, which he'd started, while searching for the one I'm talking about...)

Anyway, my point here is that maybe think about the positive qualities of e4 as part of e1 integration?
Which would mean:

- All the introspection and internal analysis that I do now, that I didn't used to do, are not a total MBTI/Enneagram fluke like I thought they were, but are instead integration to 4
- E1 integration includes an acceptance of one's uniqueness, and the validity of their individual needs, since that's part of what it means to be a healthy 4 (?)

Very interesting!

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You know, I don't even really have a thorough grasp of e4. I bet [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] would be able to read the op and tell you how the positive aspects of e4 integration might apply here. (And probably some other people, but she's the first one that comes to mind for me.)

eta:
- E1 integration includes an acceptance of one's uniqueness, and the validity of their individual needs, since that's part of what it means to be a healthy 4 (?)

I'm guessing this would be part of it, though.

á´…eparted

passages
I don't really relate to the way it explains things. While I do sort of "turn off" when under high stress and go on autopilot, I don't really lose my sense of self per-say. I was very introspective when I was younger (to the point of it being a problem) but that's largely due to Ni, and I did it because I felt I should. Which, in an ironic turn, is this exact E1 issue: I'll get fixated on doing things that I should do. Not necessarily because it's a tradition, but simply because it's what I've or others have determined to be the right thing, or expected thing. I had assumed this identity where I had to be introspective all the time, or I wasn't sticking true to who I should have been, so I forced myself. I didn't even realize that is what I was doing either! I was convinced it was who I was (which is a problem of Fe, it has issues with knowing it's "true self" because it's self is so much based on the external world).

When I get on an issue (rules or not) Ican be like a dog on a bone and I will. not. drop. it. Not until some ground is given or something is done with/about it. Though, I never really lose sight of why it's an issue, at least I don't think I do. I have had moments where I would not bend on a rule before because everyone else around me wanted to bend it or reinterpret it. I actually am fine with bending rules if the ends justify the means. In these cases though, they did not so I refused to allow it. Others were telling me that I was being myopic about it and not seeing the point (self-erasure?), but I refused to budge because I was interpreting things as literal and exact as they were.

I'm an sp-1 so ultimately I don't fully relate to it, but I do relate to it on some levels if it's reworded from a slightly different prospective.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] thanks for replying. Interesting to read the non-social-first 1 perspective -- and that some of it definitely has to do with being social first.

I was very introspective when I was younger (to the point of it being a problem) but that's largely due to Ni, and I did it because I felt I should. Which, in an ironic turn, is this exact E1 issue: I'll get fixated on doing things that I should do. Not necessarily because it's a tradition, but simply because it's what I've or others have determined to be the right thing, or expected thing. I had assumed this identity where I had to be introspective all the time, or I wasn't sticking true to who I should have been, so I forced myself. I didn't even realize that is what I was doing either! I was convinced it was who I was (which is a problem of Fe, it has issues with knowing it's "true self" because it's self is so much based on the external world)
This seems similar to what I was describing -- putting on a "good" self and denying your real one, because your real one is too imperfect to exist.

In comparison/contrast: I'm pretty Fe-deficient, but still have behaviors that I've picked up because they were the "right" thing, even though they don't come naturally to me. For example, constantly seeking out compromise and interpersonal harmony. Detaching in the presence of domineering people, to let them take the lead and avoid conflict. It's taken me years to figure out that I'm not really afraid of conflict, as much as I'm afraid of disapproval, because letting conflict happen is bad and will lead to disapproval. So I've been trying to find a balance, where I can drop some of those learned behaviors/tendencies and just act naturally.

At the same time: the reaction, when I told someone a while back about what I see as a contrast between these learned behaviors and "the real me", was that they're both me and I need to find middle ground. So it's very possible that I'm out of touch with myself to the point that I can't tell the real me from the impossible ideal that I WANT to be me. (For example: what if I really AM afraid of conflict, but am manufacturing this narrative of not being afraid of conflict because I don't want to be the sort of person who's afraid of conflict?)

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Despite my lack of insight into the matter (particularly in typological terms), I find this a very interesting topic. I will be following it, even if I don't post much later on.

From a 6ish point of view (or just a personal one, not sure), I relate. I don't necessarily meld with traditions, but I undervalue my subjective judgement, and look outside myself for an authority to tell me what I should believe and value. For example, I am a sucker for those guides that tell you what you SHOULD read, to be properly well-read (I also never see a film without reading certain critics reviews). And I end up hating myself, when I don't like the "right" books. Also, I have a propensity for discipleship if I find someone who is very wise, I will sometimes twist my own subjective experiences to fit the judgements and ideas of these sometimes dubious authorities. I am very picky about who I trust, but once I trust them, I have a tendency to be a bit slavish about it.

So when I'm correcting someone (let's say they're reading the wrong books), I don't think I'm better than them, I just think they're contradicting the laws of the authority I have put my trust in (which is practically as fundamental as the laws of physics). Nonetheless, people take it as snobbery, when from my point of view, it's almost like stating a fact of life. I am working on this.

Connecting the e1's self-erasure to my own, helps me understand the e1's in my life now a bit better. I definitely thought of their "tradition-thumping" as stubbornness and arrogance. Say what you want about the flaws of personality theory, but this stuff gets me thinking about how others see the world.

á´…eparted

passages
[MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] thanks for replying. Interesting to read the non-social-first 1 perspective -- and that some of it definitely has to do with being social first.

This seems similar to what I was describing -- putting on a "good" self and denying your real one, because your real one is too imperfect to exist.

In comparison/contrast: I'm pretty Fe-deficient, but still have behaviors that I've picked up because they were the "right" thing, even though they don't come naturally to me. For example, constantly seeking out compromise and interpersonal harmony. Detaching in the presence of domineering people, to let them take the lead and avoid conflict. It's taken me years to figure out that I'm not really afraid of conflict, as much as I'm afraid of disapproval, because letting conflict happen is bad and will lead to disapproval. So I've been trying to find a balance, where I can drop some of those learned behaviors/tendencies and just act naturally.

At the same time: the reaction, when I told someone a while back about what I see as a contrast between these learned behaviors and "the real me", was that they're both me and I need to find middle ground. So it's very possible that I'm out of touch with myself to the point that I can't tell the real me from the impossible ideal that I WANT to be me. (For example: what if I really AM afraid of conflict, but am manufacturing this narrative of not being afraid of conflict because I don't want to be the sort of person who's afraid of conflict?)

When I put on my good self, it's not so much that I think my real self is to perfect to exist, it's that I just have an image I want to have seen. I guess that is the same thing though just worded in a slightly different manner. I also totally relate to the conflict bit (I think we've talked about this before), I am not afraid of it, I just don't want to make a mistake by doing it because if you're wrong you look pretty bad. For years though I saw myself as super conflict adverse, but with time I realized I was not, for the reasons you've mentioned. When push comes to shove, I am one the better people out there to stand ground for myself or others. I just need the authority/reason to do so. I'm now rules head for HvZ and the primary reason I got the position is because if needed I have to call players who are breaking rules on their BS, and very few mods want or are able to do that.

Honestly? I have given up trying to "find myself" and figure out the "real me". It's such a waste of time. My dad has told me for years and years that I put WAY too much effort into it. Turns out he was right to a degree. Ultimately, I am just going to do what I do. When there is reason to self-analyze and find out what I really am, then go for it, but outside of it, who cares? It won't change much.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I've been kind of mulling this thing over all day. I think I'm fairly aware of the distinction between what I want and what I feel is the right thing to do. However, I'm not sure it erases my sense of self so much as tempers it. Sometimes I'd rather stay home and do nothing. On the other hand, having experienced what it's like to have no one to volunteer or call on myself, I'll often go anyhow. It's not that I'm denying that I have needs for rest, solitude, time to do my own work, Eric, but that one principle trumps another in that instance.

As far as rule evangelism, I'm not sure exactly what is meant, but I assume it means that I feel there are objective right or wrong ways to act that we all should follow? I think for me, it depends on the issue. Nothing bothers me as much as people being uncommunicative or sulky, not to communicate displeasure, but just because they are generally tired, moody, irritable, etc. To me, it seems like imposing your moods on everyone around you, even if you swear you don't expect anyone to do something to amend whatever is wrong. In those instances, I guess I get kind of vocal about it. I think there are a few issues like that I am kind of rigid about and even if I can understand another perspective from a logical perspective, I have a harder time validating it from a social or emotional perspective. Don't know if that is any help or not...

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've been kind of mulling this thing over all day. I think I'm fairly aware of the distinction between what I want and what I feel is the right thing to do. However, I'm not sure it erases my sense of self so much as tempers it. Sometimes I'd rather stay home and do nothing. On the other hand, having experienced what it's like to have no one to volunteer or call on myself, I'll often go anyhow. It's not that I'm denying that I have needs for rest, solitude, time to do my own work, Eric, but that one principle trumps another in that instance.
Was there ever a time in your life when you had less of a boundary between what you want to do and what you "should" do? Does guilt ever rear its ugly head?

As far as rule evangelism, I'm not sure exactly what is meant, but I assume it means that I feel there are objective right or wrong ways to act that we all should follow? I think for me, it depends on the issue. Nothing bothers me as much as people being uncommunicative or sulky, not to communicate displeasure, but just because they are generally tired, moody, irritable, etc. To me, it seems like imposing your moods on everyone around you, even if you swear you don't expect anyone to do something to amend whatever is wrong. In those instances, I guess I get kind of vocal about it. I think there are a few issues like that I am kind of rigid about and even if I can understand another perspective from a logical perspective, I have a harder time validating it from a social or emotional perspective. Don't know if that is any help or not...
I guess that makes sense. My mom is a social-first INFJ 1 and she doesn't usually evangelize the rules -- though rule-breaking REALLY pisses her off, so she usually finds a way to step in behind the scenes and make things right. There are right ways and wrong ways to do 99% of things, in her mind. Then again she's not as chill as you. Strikes me as more rigid, and like she gets a lot of satisfaction from holding onto anger and being a martyr for her cause. (Not something I relate to, btw.)

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I think I generally do try to do some behind the scenes rule encouraging/enforcing, but I know that I can also over-assume that people are intentionally breaking what seem like obvious rules to me (eg when there are only two of you there, the other person is required to respond in some way, as long as the person talking is being somewhat sensitive to the other person's mood and interests). When that happens, I either get resentful, until some incident makes me talk about it, or else if the person is younger, I may explain how their response is being interpreted by me. I think as I've gotten older, I'm improving at communicating more directly and saying something sooner, although I don't have it mastered.

Certainly I feel guilt. I think that Fe and being a social first also can muddy the waters for me of what is a reasonable expectation/want for me to have, and what is me being affected by other people's wishes or expectations or what I believe I should do/feel. Sometimes I need some reliable people (or some time) to sort out which it is. Sometimes there is not always a clear principle to follow that would guide the course of action. This summer, it has been incredibly validating to have my ENFJ friend who has been part of our family for years see the quirks that come out when my mum is under emotional stress and confirm that it is indeed her and not me, because my ENFJ mum is very convincing and is often right on the money for how she sees things, as well as being pretty duty-oriented, selfless and thoughtful.

However, under stress, she rarely will back down even when she is wrong, and particularly under times of stress can be sort of dismissive or contrary. For example, I clearly told her before I left on my trips that I would be doing a music camp for three days on the last week of August. We talked about it more than once, and I explained that the main family I was doing it for would be busy the third week. She went ahead and told my brother that I was busy the third week and free the fourth week so he should book his visit for then, and then even as she explained it to him and to someone else this week, told them that I had been "ambivalent" about the camp (not true - I made loose arrangements with the family, if others can come fine, but this family was going to be too busy till today to even know what days of the week would work best, so we said we'd talk about it the next day!), and also that I had thought I had told her one thing but hadn't. My friend overheard and started laughing and said, "No, you just told her a different answer than she had decided in her head. She'd make a great salesperson - get them to the yes!". Part of it is that what looks like her to ambivalence (lack of immediate action), is that I have reasons for how I'm doing things, and also that I have it planned in a workable way and have made necessary arrangements, or else the issue is very low stakes and doesn't matter.

Anyway, I think as I've gotten older, I've become more aware that just because someone makes a pronouncement, it doesn't necessarily mean it's true, even though I have a hard time not being affected emotionally, particularly by people whose regard I value.

Right now, I am totally burned out and tired and another busy year is looming before me, without there having been any real break. While I enjoyed both of the trips I had this summer, I was very much in the position of planning, teaching, and parenting, rather than just being a peer enjoying our time together. I recognize that I need some time alone to recharge and to plan, yet there are still a lot of pressing needs of my brother's kids that can't be addressed at any other time. To me, that trumps my need for recharging, but I have decided to take off the first two weeks of September so that I do get some time to feel that I can hit the ground running, rather than feeling behind, even though it means less money at a time when my resources have been a bit depleted.

Sometimes I find that I'm not really aware of why I'm reacting with certain emotions until I have some time to really think about it on my own and sort out the root causes. I don't think I tend to bury a lot of stuff, but feeling unpleasant towards people is a stage I usually wish to move through fairly quickly. It's not usually an unawareness of something being awry, but usually an underestimation of how much it is impacting me. Usually when I find out, it is when I am either flooded with a rush of emotion unreasonable to the severity of a particular incident/situation or else when I cry/get upset in someone else's presence when I hadn't even realized I was that upset, which I find terribly embarrassing (and it doesn't happen all that often, but I hate it when it does).