• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram 7 Instinctual Subtypes

PimpinMcBoltage

Enneagram
I wrote up my own brand of description that focused mostly on the issues that SX 7's have to face, as the user Cosmic Orgasm requested of him, before he was banned from PerC

The sexual 7 is largely that state of discontentment, or rather in which one is not really attracted to much of anything to be specifically, so they create phantasies in order to amuse themselves. It is mostly related to a psychological state of immense boredom, an innate distaste in the common and other such things you heard about. The sexual 7 can be compared to the 4, but unlike the 4 who searches for the originality, the ethological origin of who they are, the sexual 7 is only really immersed in finding unique experiences, and the embrace the totality of such experience in order to quench the dullness to his life. Another comparison would arguably be to the whole entirety of the perception orientation of JCF, mostly dictated by their own whims and wishes. As such, the sexual 7s neurosis is that of the hollowness of novelty, and the unwillingness to deal with reality. Preferring meaningless fantasy of something instead of the whole truth of another person. In this sense, the holy planning is just the infantile rejection of unpleasantness in general, though the SX 7 might in fact be orientated towards the darker aspects of human nature though, this is sexified to the point where the disgusting, embarrassing contents of their own inner darkness has all but been discarded, merely replaced with a more acceptable version. One free of such things as like incestrious feelings, shitting one's own pants and more of a focus on TOTALLY JUSTIFIED revenge fantasies.

Also for some reason I'd think of the self preservation 7 as being less of some sort of business man and more like a prophet of some sort. The one who shows "the right way", through words or actions. She is always right, and knows what exactly to do. It is a fixation on not being wrong. A point that I associated with the SX 7 instead, though that honestly didn't make much sense.

Starry

I feel confident in my core type, but I think I may have phrased some of those queries in a fairly direct, demanding way - in which case I could see why you picked up an Eight vibe.

(By the way, I very much appreciate your acceptance of the apparent typological abomination that is the INFJ 7. I understand the generalized reluctance that many people share in even entertaining the idea; for most, the solution seems to be, "INFJ 7? Yeah...that's not possible," because it's easier than merging the motivations and desires of a Seven with the cognitive processes of an INFJ. I get it - it's weird!)

Oh whoops, I may have given you the wrong impression. Considering I, myself, test as INFJ every once and a while...and because...of the two iNtuitive descriptions...Ni is the function I consciously experience as the way in which my mind works...I believe you will find me less likely to reject INFJ 7 as being a possibility. It's just that I've never even thought to retype you...and it was that...that is what I was reflecting on. The truth of it is...even if you had an EP type listed under your name...you don't necessarily strike me as e7...I haven't read anything from you that jumps out at me as being what I would personally recognize as part of the e7 *shared experience.* And yet I've never questioned your type because...well...I'm not sure exactly...but I'm assuming it's because on some level I think you're right...or close (8w7)...or I have faith in your enneagram knowledge...or I haven't been able to (subconsciously) place you anywhere else...or...

With regard to wing confusion, however, I have definitely had more trouble. Given my overall readingj on Eight and Six, I have always tended to be more sympathetic toward the Eight perspective (scoring higher there as well on internet Enneagram tests, for whatever that's worth - not necessarily much). I briefly felt more at ease with the 7w6 label after my boyfriend identified as a 7w8. We're eerily similar in many ways, but I'm a little more playful and he's a little more screw you. (Just a little. He picks his battles well.) Might a counterphobic Six also seem aggressive under the right circumstances, in ways that would be reminiscent of the Eight?

7w8 comes in both the 'playful' and 'screw you' varieties...so 'playfulness' would not be a reason to rule-in a 6 wing. It would need to be based on what type's issues you identify with which I'm assuming from what you wrote is 8. I mean, I wasn't quite sure if you were referring to 'cores' or 'wings' with regards to e6cp vs e8...but yes they can often times be difficult to distinguish from one another (made worse by phobic-biased e6 descriptions.) The popular thing to say is 'e6cp is more reactive'...which imo is a rather useless piece of information. I've seen counterphobics 'react' calmly to situations that trigger e6 core issues so that people don't even recognize that the individual is still having a counterphobic response. And I've seen e8s go from 'playful' to *explosion*/over-reaction in under 60 seconds so...

Matters are made more complicated by the fact they often react to the same kinds of things just for different reasons... e6s are more likely to be defending something larger than themselves...so a cause, a group that is being exploited or *what is true*...whereas e8s are often challenging a threat to *individual rights*...this sort of "you may want to back the fuck off and here's why..." There's more of a personal, don't fuck with me and mine...and I won't fuck with you...element to their reactions. Anyway, I consider myself to be counterphobic. 6 was easier to recognize in myself than 7...but fwiw, I personally have not seen anything in you that seems e6 but idk.

I'm curious to learn why you've thought sx/so would be a good fit - seriously, I'm interested (I don't mean to sound...interrogating). For a while, I was still sort of sussing out what the social instinct really meant, and was uncertain of where I stood with that drive in particular; I now feel more solid in my identification with sx/sp, but I'm always excited to learn more.

I wish I could provide you with an educated answer but I can't. I had made this assumption based solely on *vibe theory.* To me you merely register as having channeled sx/so energy.

I think I can identify with the "human condition" sort of broodiness. I'm intrigued by philosophy and psychology, I observe the world around me even when I don't mean to (it's an unconscious, internal thing), and it's a very natural inclination to ponder the resulting deep questions that arise. But I would be hesitant to attach a negative tone to this sort of contemplation, especially the negative flavor that "brooding" implies. Maybe you're referring to something different, something a little darker? I don't really relate to the romanticized lost love though. I once had a crush on a college classmate that lasted for two years. When it became apparent that nothing would happen with him, I sort of chose to force quit...and was over him in forty-eight hours. I don't like to think about past romances, as I generally find them too unpleasant and would rather move forward into more exciting, promising territory. Again, though - maybe I'm telling myself I'm dealing with the pain while not actually dealing with it.

Enneagram professionals generally link e7s inclination to 'force quit' something they don't wish to deal with and move on... to an unhealthy relationship with e5 detachment. And the only reason I'm mentioning this is because...e5 is connected to e7 and e8. And e5 is correlated with Ti and Ni. Again, not saying that INFJ e7 is not possible...just providing you with all of what I do know.

I think Lady X provided you a great explanation as it pertains to 7w6 sx *emo* which resonates with me as well. I may in fact be in an *emo* place but the compulsion is to remain outwardly positive. It's a difficult thing to explain actually...

Luv Deluxe

Step into my office.
MBTI Type
NiSe
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh whoops, I may have given you the wrong impression. Considering I, myself, test as INFJ every once and a while...and because...of the two iNtuitive descriptions...Ni is the function I consciously experience as the way in which my mind works...I believe you will find me less likely to reject INFJ 7 as being a possibility. It's just that I've never even thought to retype you...and it was that...that is what I was reflecting on. The truth of it is...even if you had an EP type listed under your name...you don't necessarily strike me as e7...I haven't read anything from you that jumps out at me as being what I would personally recognize as part of the e7 *shared experience.* And yet I've never questioned your type because...well...I'm not sure exactly...but I'm assuming it's because on some level I think you're right...or close (8w7)...or I have faith in your enneagram knowledge...or I haven't been able to (subconsciously) place you anywhere else...or...

Thanks for the clarification, but no matter the reason, I really am always happy to run into someone who doesn't immediately go, "Hey, you can't exist." Still counts as a vote of confidence in my book.

I'm quite sure of the Seven. I think sometimes I don't do myself any favors by getting bored with this place, ducking out to do a million other things, and then coming back every so often - to the point where I've been a member for a long time and have...well, barely over three hundred posts to my name.

By that, I mean that I can't expect anyone here to give a quick, accurate reading of who I am with so little interaction between us. I write somewhat differently than I behave. Even to me, my text reads far more direct and focused than I feel and act in the real world. I'm not a bubbly socialite, but I'm not necessarily...the way that I might sound here. Of course, we're all probably at least a little bit different in person. I might have to think about how to best explain the dissonance in my behavior and come back again later.

Starry said:
7w8 comes in both the 'playful' and 'screw you' varieties...so 'playfulness' would not be a reason to rule-in a 6 wing. It would need to be based on what type's issues you identify with which I'm assuming from what you wrote is 8. I mean, I wasn't quite sure if you were referring to 'cores' or 'wings' with regards to e6cp vs e8...but yes they can often times be difficult to distinguish from one another (made worse by phobic-biased e6 descriptions.) The popular thing to say is 'e6cp is more reactive'...which imo is a rather useless piece of information. I've seen counterphobics 'react' calmly to situations that trigger e6 core issues so that people don't even recognize that the individual is still having a counterphobic response. And I've seen e8s go from 'playful' to *explosion*/over-reaction in under 60 seconds so...

Matters are made more complicated by the fact they often react to the same kinds of things just for different reasons... e6s are more likely to be defending something larger than themselves...so a cause, a group that is being exploited or *what is true*...whereas e8s are often challenging a threat to *individual rights*...this sort of "you may want to back the fuck off and here's why..." There's more of a personal, don't fuck with me and mine...and I won't fuck with you...element to their reactions. Anyway, I consider myself to be counterphobic. 6 was easier to recognize in myself than 7...but fwiw, I personally have not seen anything in you that seems e6 but idk.

Ah, yeah. Based on this I would go with 7w8. Thanks for your take on things; I've also often felt that Six descriptions in general are typically phobic-biased, which has sort of dissuaded me from wishing to identify. The note of group vs. individual is another interesting point, and if I had to place myself along that scale I'd say that I lean toward independent concerns more than those of social or group-based loyalties. Unless we're talking about my hockey team. Red, white, and black forever, baby.

Starry said:
I wish I could provide you with an educated answer but I can't. I had made this assumption based solely on *vibe theory.* To me you merely register as having channeled sx/so energy.

Fair enough.

Starry said:
Enneagram professionals generally link e7s inclination to 'force quit' something they don't wish to deal with and move on... to an unhealthy relationship with e5 detachment. And the only reason I'm mentioning this is because...e5 is connected to e7 and e8. And e5 is correlated with Ti and Ni. Again, not saying that INFJ e7 is not possible...just providing you with all of what I do know.

I think Lady X provided you a great explanation as it pertains to 7w6 sx *emo* which resonates with me as well. I may in fact be in an *emo* place but the compulsion is to remain outwardly positive. It's a difficult thing to explain actually...

With regard to the force quit option - I suppose that I don't see the point of dwelling on something if it makes me feel gross inside. Why be down when I can be up? As in the example of my college crush, there's sometimes nothing that can be done. I can't make somebody like me if they don't, and the sooner these things are accepted, the happier I am and the easier it is to move on to something better. Of course, even I can admit that it hurts, but that's exactly why I'd rather do something else in order to distract myself from those feelings. More opportunities are always out there, and there is always so much to do; if not College Crush, then I would meet someone better, someone with whom I was supposed to bond. That was kind of my attitude. So, why worry about it? Force quit, reboot, upgrade.

When I first really discovered the Enneagram (about four years ago now)...I actually identified as a type One. I was also very sick. There was something wrong with everything, but most especially myself; my thoughts were all-or-nothing, self-critical, and angry. I developed shades of an eating disorder and eventually wound up in the emergency room. This prompted me to change my circumstances and get help, which allowed me to heal and gradually shift back to the person I've always been. I think I admire Five more than I completely relate to it. My father is a Five. We are similar and get along accordingly, but when it's all said and done we're still different people. I have always been able to learn a lot from him, though, and I feel that an improved version of myself would be a little more like him.

I should probably stop before I completely derail this thread, but thank you for your honest answers.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
As opposed to this here: http://personalitycafe.com/type-7-f...pe-seven-enthusiast-timeless-description.html

Self-Preservation Sevens like to sample the world around them, but they do so cautiously, and tend to involve themselves in things that have survival value. They may be a more serious Seven than other types, and may actually appear to be very Five-like. However, they hop between interests like a Seven does. More likely to be introverted than extroverted, although this is not a rule. They place a special emphasis on activities that emphasize their physical security and health.

Social Sevens direct their energy toward the connections within their social group, meaning that they can easily hop from one group of friends to the next. Many of their interests are oriented around interaction with others. Tends to be extroverted, tends to be Seven with a Six Wing, but this is not set in stone.

Sexual Sevens are thrill-seekers and there is probably a strong correlation between Seven with an Eight Wing and a sexual variant stacking. Tends to be extroverted, tends to be Seven with an Eight wing.

MBTI Type
ENFP
Wow, I'm 7w8 and I try really fucking hard to be the self reserved 7, never the social one...I would just be lying to myself. All I want is to do good to be honest, but I am super impulsive and a MAJOR thrill seeker to the point where it dictates my life. oops. Yeah, i'm sexual 7w8. But the post PimpinMcBoltage wrote really described me dead on. and I'm not ashamed, I just want to know how to not beat myself up as much and not be so much of a thrill seeking sort kinda perfectionist? in some areas?

Cwatson

I really liked this. I relate to so much to the sexual 7. One question I'm stumped on. You mention, the darkest of 7's. Can you clarify what you mean. I don't quite relate to that because I know I have a very postive outlook on life and even people (I know you mentioned we have a positive core.) I guess I'm having trouble understanding how being darkest of 7's and having a positive core coincides with each other.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wrote up my own brand of description that focused mostly on the issues that SX 7's have to face, as the user Cosmic Orgasm requested of him, before he was banned from PerC

The sexual 7 is largely that state of discontentment, or rather in which one is not really attracted to much of anything to be specifically, so they create phantasies in order to amuse themselves. It is mostly related to a psychological state of immense boredom, an innate distaste in the common and other such things you heard about. The sexual 7 can be compared to the 4, but unlike the 4 who searches for the originality, the ethological origin of who they are, the sexual 7 is only really immersed in finding unique experiences, and the embrace the totality of such experience in order to quench the dullness to his life. Another comparison would arguably be to the whole entirety of the perception orientation of JCF, mostly dictated by their own whims and wishes. As such, the sexual 7s neurosis is that of the hollowness of novelty, and the unwillingness to deal with reality. Preferring meaningless fantasy of something instead of the whole truth of another person. In this sense, the holy planning is just the infantile rejection of unpleasantness in general, though the SX 7 might in fact be orientated towards the darker aspects of human nature though, this is sexified to the point where the disgusting, embarrassing contents of their own inner darkness has all but been discarded, merely replaced with a more acceptable version. One free of such things as like incestrious feelings, shitting one's own pants and more of a focus on TOTALLY JUSTIFIED revenge fantasies.

Also for some reason I'd think of the self preservation 7 as being less of some sort of business man and more like a prophet of some sort. The one who shows "the right way", through words or actions. She is always right, and knows what exactly to do. It is a fixation on not being wrong. A point that I associated with the SX 7 instead, though that honestly didn't make much sense.

Are you sure that isn't growing in maturity? I tried for a few years to fix the problems around, me, but now I just focus on trying to keep busy. Most of the things that bother me know are completely beyond my control, so I just try to distract myself from those negative thoughts and feelings with enjoyable experiences. They are oh-so-hollow, however.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As opposed to this here: [Enneagram Type 7] Type Seven: The Enthusiast (Timeless' Description)

Self-Preservation Sevens like to sample the world around them, but they do so cautiously, and tend to involve themselves in things that have survival value. They may be a more serious Seven than other types, and may actually appear to be very Five-like. However, they hop between interests like a Seven does. More likely to be introverted than extroverted, although this is not a rule. They place a special emphasis on activities that emphasize their physical security and health.

Social Sevens direct their energy toward the connections within their social group, meaning that they can easily hop from one group of friends to the next. Many of their interests are oriented around interaction with others. Tends to be extroverted, tends to be Seven with a Six Wing, but this is not set in stone.

Sexual Sevens are thrill-seekers and there is probably a strong correlation between Seven with an Eight Wing and a sexual variant stacking. Tends to be extroverted, tends to be Seven with an Eight wing.

Based on that, Sp/So 7w6 for me...

But what do I do about it?