• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram 7 Instinctual Subtypes

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=20531]yeghor[/MENTION]
I believe Lindsey Stirling is ??FP 7w6>4w3>9w1 Sx/Sp

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sp 7 seems to fit me, even though the description may be slightly 7w8 and male biased.
even the 7w6 Sp doms can appear 8-ish (they are the more ruthless subtype of 7) and I've known plenty of female Sp 7s who fit this perfectly (your typical rich, career minded woman who spends her free time pampering herself at the spa and going shopping for luxury clothing is similar to Sp 7)

my problem is, I have a hard time finding any good examples of Sx 7w8s

B

brainheart

[MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION], how would you distinguish between a so/sx 6w7 and 7w6 so/sx?
[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION], I agree with the sx/sp 7w6 being similar to 4. I know a lot of the time I feel a strong connection to the sexual 7- impulsive, indulgent, restlessly seeking, scattered on the bad days, excited and ready to move on to something better on the good ones. I know the ocean moonshine description says sx/sp 4 has a seven-like quality and it is for sure the case for me. I would guess the difference would be in the orientation to suffering. The four believes it can't escape it while the seven believes it can. (That's my guess anyway? Tell me if I'm wrong.) Hence Naranjo's sexual seven with the rose colored glasses. Meanwhile the sexual four wears black-bile colored glasses... :dry:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=7140]brainheart[/MENTION]
Social 6s is more paranoid, rules oriented and superego dominated; Social 7 is more carefree

Ozones

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
and I've known plenty of female Sp 7s who fit this perfectly (your typical rich, career minded woman who spends her free time pampering herself at the spa and going shopping for luxury clothing is similar to Sp 7)

This is so me. Or how i want to be. Just add in the model children and hedge fund husband. The problem is Sp paints a picture of someone who doesnt like people and who is withdrawn and reserved. I think 'loud' would be the word that comes to find upon first meeting me. I am the most extroverted, shameless, uninhibited person I know. And i enjoy meeting new people. I am the type of person who 'works the room' at a party.

Halla

yeghor

@<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/member.php?u=20531" target="_blank">yeghor</a>
I believe Lindsey Stirling is ??FP 7w6>4w3>9w1 Sx/Sp

Thanks...I think she's definitely an Extravert...

Do you notice anything "off" in the belowgiven video after the 4 minute mark, especially in the social interaction and the overall atmosphere?

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Russell Brand fits the bill. Flamboyant loudmouth with a history of depression and addiction as a result of trying to escape emotional torment through drug use.

Thing is I'm not sure I see him as a 7w8, I only know that's what he's usually typed as. More sweet, feminine and endearing than aggressive, domineering and assertive. Great example of sexual 7 nonetheless.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Russell Brand fits the bill. Flamboyant loudmouth with a history of depression and addiction as a result of trying to escape emotional torment through drug use.
Thing is I'm not sure I see him as a 7w8, I only know that's what he's usually typed as. More sweet, feminine and endearing than aggressive, domineering and assertive. Great example of sexual 7 nonetheless.

I saw him as 7w6 personally, but you may be right.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I saw him as 7w6 personally, but you may be right.
Lol yes, I meant to say that 7w6 is what I suspect too, but from what I've seen 7w8 is a more common typing.

Iggy Pop might be a more clear cut example of a Sx 7w8. Blunt and confrontational, unabashedly hedonistic and materalistic, strong physical presence (especially compared to Russell Brand who's more a whirlwind of mental energy), yet admittedly more melancholic than you might expect:

Iggy Pop said:
Nobody understands me, I'm really sensitive. Everyone thinks I should be so happy, fucking all these chicks, and all the drugs and being a star. But I hurt. And I'm lonely.

Almost undoubtedly Se-dom. ESFP in my estimation.

yeghor

even the 7w6 Sp doms can appear 8-ish (they are the more ruthless subtype of 7) and I've known plenty of female Sp 7s who fit this perfectly (your typical rich, career minded woman who spends her free time pampering herself at the spa and going shopping for luxury clothing is similar to Sp 7)

How about Freddie Mercury?

Starry

[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION], I agree with the sx/sp 7w6 being similar to 4. I know a lot of the time I feel a strong connection to the sexual 7- impulsive, indulgent, restlessly seeking, scattered on the bad days, excited and ready to move on to something better on the good ones. I know the ocean moonshine description says sx/sp 4 has a seven-like quality and it is for sure the case for me. I would guess the difference would be in the orientation to suffering. The four believes it can't escape it while the seven believes it can. (That's my guess anyway? Tell me if I'm wrong.) Hence Naranjo's sexual seven with the rose colored glasses. Meanwhile the sexual four wears black-bile colored glasses... :dry:

brainheart - thank you so much for this information as I had no idea. I mean, I've read this vague 'will often act like 4s' reference made with regards to sexual 7s quite a few times now (yes, should be limited 7w6 sx/sp)...and yet I've never encountered a meaningful explanation as to why. Nor did it occur to me that this 'strange phenomenon' goes both ways as I've never seen a 7 reference for sexual 4s (probably should be limited to 4w5 sx/sp.)

^^So there's something really going on here haha. I mean, when I've used the word 'connection' when speaking about this *thing* I've often questioned it as if I was getting ahead of myself. It's one thing to resemble another type but the fact this goes both ways...weakening (for 7s) any case that might put the blame entirely on 7 possessing an e5 integration point... really says something to me. And now I want to understand what exactly is going on haha. So...7w6 sx/sp can become *emo* and despairing and write some damn good poetry if I do say so myself... while 4w5 sx/sp can get manic and reckless and people can't get enough of them at the party... but what is actually happening? haha. fyi - I wear black-bile glasses now ever since my rose-colored ones shattered. <-I have always considered myself to be a deep thinking, highly sensitive, highly aware individual with powerful instincts until I recognized how much of life I was embellishing with happy, it's-all-going-to-be-okay fantasy (survival strategy I imagine)... And I believe I will continue to wear them until I can learn how to wear my rose-colored ones without forgetting they're on.

I agree with you with regards to the suffering. What do you think is going on though? If you have an opinion I'd love to hear it.

Starry

I see tons and tons of social in me, a medium amount of Sexual, and just barely a little Self-Pres...

[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION]
[MENTION=18819]five sounds[/MENTION]

whoops...sorry MQ. I have been thinking about this because you had asked me about instinctual variant in another thread... And I had started a response and then got stuck.

Basically, I think you've got it right. I think you are most likely so/sp. My only hesitation is once you get away from your present situation and really start coming into your own...will your behavior and preferences alter as you make new discoveries about yourself? I mean, you've been in a situation where it appears you couldn't really make your own decisions...and focus on what is important to you... <-which may not be enough to hide ENFP and e7...but may be enough to conceal your variant idk.

All I can really say is that you vibe like a social dom...but what does that really tell you? Nothing much if anything at all. If you are relating to social dominance...I say go with it until Life tells you otherwise.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
whoops...sorry MQ. I have been thinking about this because you had asked me about instinctual variant in another thread... And I had started a response and then got stuck.

Basically, I think you've got it right. I think you are most likely so/sp. My only hesitation is once you get away from your present situation and really start coming into your own...will your behavior and preferences alter as you make new discoveries about yourself? I mean, you've been in a situation where it appears you couldn't really make your own decisions...and focus on what is important to you... <-which may not be enough to hide ENFP and e7...but may be enough to conceal your variant idk.

All I can really say is that you vibe like a social dom...but what does that really tell you? Nothing much if anything at all. If you are relating to social dominance...I say go with it until Life tells you otherwise.

ok

B

brainheart

brainheart - thank you so much for this information as I had no idea. I mean, I've read this vague 'will often act like 4s' reference made with regards to sexual 7s quite a few times now (yes, should be limited 7w6 sx/sp)...and yet I've never encountered a meaningful explanation as to why. Nor did it occur to me that this 'strange phenomenon' goes both ways as I've never seen a 7 reference for sexual 4s (probably should be limited to 4w5 sx/sp.)

^^So there's something really going on here haha. I mean, when I've used the word 'connection' when speaking about this *thing* I've often questioned it as if I was getting ahead of myself. It's one thing to resemble another type but the fact this goes both ways...weakening (for 7s) any case that might put the blame entirely on 7 possessing an e5 integration point... really says something to me. And now I want to understand what exactly is going on haha. So...7w6 sx/sp can become *emo* and despairing and write some damn good poetry if I do say so myself... while 4w5 sx/sp can get manic and reckless and people can't get enough of them at the party... but what is actually happening? haha. fyi - I wear black-bile glasses now ever since my rose-colored ones shattered. <-I have always considered myself to be a deep thinking, highly sensitive, highly aware individual with powerful instincts until I recognized how much of life I was embellishing with happy, it's-all-going-to-be-okay fantasy (survival strategy I imagine)... And I believe I will continue to wear them until I can learn how to wear my rose-colored ones without forgetting they're on.

I agree with you with regards to the suffering. What do you think is going on though? If you have an opinion I'd love to hear it.

cool I'm glad that was helpful to you :)

Here's the ocean moonshine descriptions so you can see what I'm referring to (got them off personalitycafe):

Sexual/Self-pres Four

This is a very volatile type. They are driven to form connections but have very high demands of their partners. When their powerful fantasies don’t match reality, they become very restless. They take the fire and passion of the sexual instinct and turn it inward. This can cause both brooding and fiery outbursts. Dramatic mood swings are very likely with this type. This subtype of Four could be considered the most classic Four, because of the way they seem to embody the archetype of the tortured artist, although not all Fours of this subtype are artists. Stereotype aside, this subtype does tend to bring their emotions into focus more readily then the other subtypes of Four. What is under the surface with the self-pres/sexual is now bubbling to the surface. This subtype can resemble type Seven because of their drama, passion for experience and tendency to suffer from frustration when life seems dull. Like type Seven, they can seem to throw themselves into experience.

When healthy, this subtype learns to balance the need for passion with the less obvious need for groundedness which can come from solid and focused relationships with others and with their creative outlets.

Sexual/Self-pres Seven

The energy of the sexual instinct is, in some ways, at odds with the type Seven fixation. The Seven’s focus is future oriented and outward, away from the inner world, while the sexual variant is instinctual and dwells on the inner self as far as relationships and identity are concerned. This combination can make for a Seven that can be Four-like in many ways. They can have a flamboyant style and be very moody and intense. In relationships, there is often a push-pull quality. They are very attracted to the falling in love part. The buzz and high of that is very stimulating to them, almost drug-like for them. Their problems come when that buzz wears off. They want to recreate it again and again, but they also have a way of becoming attached and sometimes very dependent on their romantic partners. On the down side, they can be very clingy but don’t want at the same time to lose their freedom. When unhealthy, they can be very selfish in these relationships, things become one-sided in a way that favors the interests of the Seven.

The sexual/self-pres Seven’s addictive behavior with relationships can extend to other areas, like music, and performing in general. The rock star image and lifestyle can be attractive to the sexual Seven. Many rock stars are sexual Sevens the buzz they experience from music can be similar to what they experience in relationships. Creativity can also function as a release of frustration from the boredom.

I agree that there's something about that line to five, for sure. I think a sx 4w3 might seem more flamboyant, but I think a sx 4w5 will have more of the mental monkey thing going on like a seven. I've found it interesting being on here because there are a number of sexual sevens on here that I really relate to, you being one of them. But I know I'm not a sexual seven.

As far as what is happening, I think a lot of it is both are frustration types so it can play out in similar ways. There are certain enneagram experts who say that the connection lines of four are actually seven and one, and vice versa for seven, so that could be part of it as well. I think it's more likely that sexual types feel the frustration the most.

Luv Deluxe

Step into my office.
MBTI Type
NiSe
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^You're right badger.

I mean, I actually didn't read Elfboy's descriptions...I only looked at the pictures haha. But if Elfboy is using the word 'brooding' for 7 sx... You are right and he is right.

The 7 descriptions are way fucked-up in my opinion. Most of them have a 7w8 bias...but there are a few descriptions floating around that account for a certain anomaly...that I have only ever seen in the 7w6 sx...and yet it is always applied to all of 7 which I totally agree is complete bullshit. I don't fully understand why but 7w6 sx is very connected to 4 in some way...and I'm assuming 4w5 to be specific (as 7 is connected to 5.) And yes, 7w6 sx are known for fits of melancholy like 4s. Not to worry though because most 7w6 sx...are totally mistyped as 4s and 5s anyway.

Elfboy should be able to link you to one of these descriptions... but yah. No way is 7w8 sx brooding.

I've been uncertain of my wing for a long time; 7w6 always feels too soft/romantic, 7w8 too much of an asshole. Lately, I've begun to think I'm wingless. This idea that 7w6 sx individuals are mostly "broody" in a manner resembling 4s...well, if that's the case, chop off my 6-wing. I'll be a flightless bird.

I'm quiet when I first meet people. I'm also casual and confident, but I suppose my initial reticence could be to blame for any suggestion that I'm a broody person. When it comes to the cultivation of negative emotions - which is exactly what I consider "brooding" to be - I don't do it. Sure, I'm not happy all the time, but I strive to be. If I'm feeling down, I want to flush it out of my system as quickly as possible.

I'm an intensity junkie, but for intensely positive experiences. What volume of melancholy constitutes brooding in the case of a 7w6 sx-dom?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION]
@Badger [MENTION=13973]AntiheroComplex[/MENTION]

tbh, I need to reevaluate Sexual 7s in general, so I'll probably rewrite the description at some point

Starry

I've been uncertain of my wing for a long time; 7w6 always feels too soft/romantic, 7w8 too much of an asshole. Lately, I've begun to think I'm wingless. This idea that 7w6 sx individuals are mostly "broody" in a manner resembling 4s...well, if that's the case, chop off my 6-wing. I'll be a flightless bird.

I'm quiet when I first meet people. I'm also casual and confident, but I suppose my initial reticence could be to blame for any suggestion that I'm a broody person. When it comes to the cultivation of negative emotions - which is exactly what I consider "brooding" to be - I don't do it. Sure, I'm not happy all the time, but I strive to be. If I'm feeling down, I want to flush it out of my system as quickly as possible.

I'm an intensity junkie, but for intensely positive experiences. What volume of melancholy constitutes brooding in the case of a 7w6 sx-dom?

^^Why am I getting a 8w7 vibe from you here with what you wrote above? Has that ever been on the table for consideration (8w7...knowing you I'm sure it has.) Not that this means anything to anyone other than me...but the fact I've never even privately attempted to retype you in my mind...tells me how much faith I have in your knowledge, awareness, etc. I've enjoyed interacting with you before and this is the first time I've been hit with a 'hmmm' (and for some reason that registered as 8w7.) I don't know though. Maybe it's merely an inability to imagine how a 6 wing would be experienced by an INFJ sexual 7. And perhaps because I wouldn't have necessarily pegged you as a sx/sp either...I guess I've always thought you were sx/so.

Still, I will say that I do not believe this *brooding* is an automatic to the 7w6 sx. I think that some sexual 7w6s trick themselves into believing they are addressing their pain but what they are truly doing is continuing to avoid their pain by getting wound-up in dramatic, romanticized, artful pains...like the human condition or love lost. I do not believe all sexual 7s (or 7w6 sx/sp) will do this though.

Luv Deluxe

Step into my office.
MBTI Type
NiSe
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^Why am I getting a 8w7 vibe from you here with what you wrote above? Has that ever been on the table for consideration (8w7...knowing you I'm sure it has.) Not that this means anything to anyone other than me...but the fact I've never even privately attempted to retype you in my mind...tells me how much faith I have in your knowledge, awareness, etc. I've enjoyed interacting with you before and this is the first time I've been hit with a 'hmmm' (and for some reason that registered as 8w7.) I don't know though. Maybe it's merely an inability to imagine how a 6 wing would be experienced by an INFJ sexual 7. And perhaps because I wouldn't have necessarily pegged you as a sx/sp either...I guess I've always thought you were sx/so.

Still, I will say that I do not believe this *brooding* is an automatic to the 7w6 sx. I think that some sexual 7w6s trick themselves into believing they are addressing their pain but what they are truly doing is continuing to avoid their pain by getting wound-up in dramatic, romanticized, artful pains...like the human condition or love lost. I do not believe all sexual 7s (or 7w6 sx/sp) will do this though.

I feel confident in my core type, but I think I may have phrased some of those queries in a fairly direct, demanding way - in which case I could see why you picked up an Eight vibe.

(By the way, I very much appreciate your acceptance of the apparent typological abomination that is the INFJ 7. I understand the generalized reluctance that many people share in even entertaining the idea; for most, the solution seems to be, "INFJ 7? Yeah...that's not possible," because it's easier than merging the motivations and desires of a Seven with the cognitive processes of an INFJ. I get it - it's weird!)

With regard to wing confusion, however, I have definitely had more trouble. Given my overall reading on Eight and Six, I have always tended to be more sympathetic toward the Eight perspective (scoring higher there as well on internet Enneagram tests, for whatever that's worth - not necessarily much). I briefly felt more at ease with the 7w6 label after my boyfriend identified as a 7w8. We're eerily similar in many ways, but I'm a little more playful and he's a little more screw you. (Just a little. He picks his battles well.) Might a counterphobic Six also seem aggressive under the right circumstances, in ways that would be reminiscent of the Eight?

I'm curious to learn why you've thought sx/so would be a good fit - seriously, I'm interested (I don't mean to sound...interrogating). For a while, I was still sort of sussing out what the social instinct really meant, and was uncertain of where I stood with that drive in particular; I now feel more solid in my identification with sx/sp, but I'm always excited to learn more.

I think I can identify with the "human condition" sort of broodiness. I'm intrigued by philosophy and psychology, I observe the world around me even when I don't mean to (it's an unconscious, internal thing), and it's a very natural inclination to ponder the resulting deep questions that arise. But I would be hesitant to attach a negative tone to this sort of contemplation, especially the negative flavor that "brooding" implies. Maybe you're referring to something different, something a little darker? I don't really relate to the romanticized lost love though. I once had a crush on a college classmate that lasted for two years. When it became apparent that nothing would happen with him, I sort of chose to force quit...and was over him in forty-eight hours. I don't like to think about past romances, as I generally find them too unpleasant and would rather move forward into more exciting, promising territory. Again, though - maybe I'm telling myself I'm dealing with the pain while not actually dealing with it.

Thanks for responding! :)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

i don't know that i would describe 7w6 as soft and romantic. i think there's a bit of that...maybe...but probably just a part experienced in their head all alone and not experienced by others. idk.

also...this broody thing...i would very much doubt that's something experienced by others about us either. we may experience darker moments...moments of deep disappointment but i'm not so sure how others experience that.