• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 9] Type Nines - Do you Try to Eat your emotions Away?

L

LadyLazarus

Oh yeah, all the time, as we speak I am in the process of trying to ingest my laptop.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hmmm, I am 9w8sp/sx I think. I can get really active when stressed. Cleaning, exercising, etc. I don't tend to do the food thing though, I do like to drink though. I don't do it for stress though. If I drink stressed I become a stressed drunk. And a stressed out drunk is no fun.

Exercise is nearly as good as booze :D and a longer lasting stress relief fo sure.

Just to be clear, I am not suggesting that all Sp 9s would have this issue, and with how healthy you are I would have been surprised if you did, just that if a 9 has an issue that focuses on food (not as a flow on effect from something else, but with food as the central issue) then they are most likely a Sp.

wolfy

awsm
Exercise is nearly as good as booze :D and a longer lasting stress relief fo sure.

Just to be clear, I am not suggesting that all Sp 9s would have this issue, and with how healthy you are I would have been surprised if you did, just that if a 9 has an issue that focuses on food (not as a flow on effect from something else, but with food as the central issue) then they are most likely a Sp.

Makes sense. And, booze and exercise are good. And make for a fun combination.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I thought "eat" in the thread title was a metaphorical term and it sounded interesting and I wanted to read the explanation for it.

I could be 9. I have a small appetite.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
No. I do not. When I am upset, lonely, concerned, etc., I am less likely to eat. I go for long walks or workout/train, meditate and pray to clear my head.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hardly. My preferred method for dealing with my emotions is isolation, I need to think my way out of their ensnarement. Food is the last thing on my mind.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to, but now it's more common for me to enhance happy feelings and numb discomfort through other, more effective but ultimately even unhealthier means.

If I'm merely bored or mildly upset, I am sometimes tempted to eat to distract myself, but my self-control (with regards to food) is strong enough that I usually don't overeat. If I'm seriously upset, eating doesn't help much so I'm not even tempted. In fact, I basically have to force-feed myself, and I occasionally turn to worse habits like drinking too much alcohol to temporarily lift my mood. If I couldn't drink, something else would replace alcohol as my temporary distraction, maybe food again.

I have read that unhealthy sp Nines are likely to either have problems with overconsumption (food, substances, etc.) to try to disengage from their feelings, or with being addicted to a feeling of self-control and being too obsessively rigid about what and how much they consume (more likely for w1s than w8s). I've been to both extremes and in both cases it was a means to distract myself from essentials - what I really needed to be doing, feeling/processing, and thinking about.