• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 4] 4s and the fantasy self

Venus Rose

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
@Tenebris I would say to not bother with it

I don’t understand “only such and such person is authentically 4”...and I’m a 4...I don’t do this lol.

I have always seen people as mostly honest...if I sense deception, I distance myself. I never understood this whole...deal with “calling people out” or whatever. In my eyes it looks like invalidation, like the person is being sincere and honest and they are being stepped on anyway.

i guess if you might have strong pretentious qualities yourself you are more likely to project it onto the rest of the world.

I never saw 4 as an inherently desirable or glamorous type; and I’m skeptical of the idea that many others do.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're making a lot of assumptions based on shit I didn't say so I don't really care if you're offended by it or not. I also find it ludicrous that you think the only reason I could suggest someone is mistyped outside a type me thread is personal antagonism.

Suffering, negativity, envy and feelings of inadequacy are essential to enneagram 4. I'm not saying 4s can never be positive or motivated or happy; I am however saying that your gestalt does not line up with the essential characteristics of a 4.

Did you not catch the part where I said "near implying". To clarify, that's what it sounded like to me. Didn't intend to rustle you.

What is my gestalt? Far as I know, I align perfectly with the 4 core messages.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Here’s my dubious lil stab at the OP...

The nature of a fantasy self has evolved for me over time in terms of confidence that it will come to exist. When I was a kid and teenager, it was a vision of who I would be and what I would accomplish when I got older. And yet as detailed as it was in the imagination, and as necessary as that outcome felt for my survival on a planet I barely felt equipped to live on, I began turning away real life opportunities to move in that direction. In the moment, sometimes I didn’t feel “ready” or confident enough to take an opportunity, but other times, one suddenly felt like it was beneath me. I did not imagine that these choices seriously jeopardized the future - that anything could cancel the inevitable.

Keep brain development in perspective though. At those ages, I still didn’t understand, either, things like that I could seriously hurt other people or that being a good person was a choice rather than a side I was born on. That was where I was at. What a joke.

Now having been out in the world for a while, I know more about why I sabotage myself and about the time, effort and even some luck it takes to break out of that completely within the little time we have. I can imagine many more timelines than just the favorite one that’s (still...) nice to daydream about, and know in my bones how easy it would be to live out my entire life along my quieter patterns instead. I have already made several defining choices that in hindsight are nonsense compared to anything I actually care about - and that’s actually pretty typical. Many, many people die with unrealized dreams - I suspect this could even be most of us. There would be nothing specially tragic or abnormal about ending up as one of the many. It’s normal for the human nature we universally struggle with to be stronger than any individual’s unique potential.

I also question that this fantasy self is even so great. The vision centers on my own significance and own imagined relationships - it’s not about helping anyone. It’s not about advacoting for change in the world. It’s about “actually living” and just sharing what’s inside my head with others. Which is great and all - but is it enough to be good? In some ways, I see more nobility in the sort of more primal dreams I skim over, such as having a family. Also, the distance between me and the ideal is the biggest driver of my overblown fear of mortality - bare-faced vanity right there.

The one belief, though, that I’ve clung to consistently as this has evolved, though, is believing that the actualization of the fantasy self is or at least was possible. This is an assumption that I am aware enough to know that all the code required to build this specific thing was in written in my raw material at birth, whether or not I ever would take the initiative to run that code.

The fantasy self will probably exist as a secret parallel world my entire life. What’s developed on the other side of the parallel is the capacity and the words to articulate that while actualizing it is worth a shot, “who we really are” is our choices, and we know so much less than we think about what even drives those.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Did you not catch the part where I said "near implying". To clarify, that's what it sounded like to me. Didn't intend to rustle you.

What is my gestalt? Far as I know, I align perfectly with the 4 core messages.

You didn't rustle me, in fact, now I have no idea what you're talking about. My point remains that I think you're mistyped. While behaviors aren't perfect proxies for underlying motivations, they do hint at them. The image you have put together for yourself does not seem to have been constructed in a 4ish way. This suggests to me that you're mistyped. I'm pointing it out because I think what you said about a fantasy self being a life goal—and an attainable life goal at that—really doesn't seem to be a 4ish fantasy at all, particularly with regard to what you've already accomplished. So while I respect what you say about your fantasy self, I think it's misleading as far as type 4 is concerned.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have a 4 in my tritype and this has been bothering me. Is it better to try and live up to the fantasy self or let it go? Is the fantasy self your purpose or an illusion? What happens when you live up to the fantasy self? Do you just create another one? What has your experience been?

Huh. Can relate to this, weirdly.

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse
How (un)healthy is it to have a fantasy 'self'? Self between quotation marks since for me personally, when I am not feeling well I don't think about myself but I 'play' the role of someone else (most of the time).

But it makes me wonder... Is this only a characteristic of type four? For a long time I always thought that this was normal. What do other people do all day long..? What do they think about? I suspect that everyone has some fantasies once in a while, but that it's not a 'rule' that everyone makes up stories like this, that it occupies their mind from the second they wake up and until they fall asleep.

An additional question would be; how did you experience this as a kid? (Not only @ people who are type four)
I am also in general curious how other people picture their fantasy self/persona. Where do you get your inspiration from? What does it mean to you? How does it impact your life,...?

Venus Rose

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
no idea whether I have responded to this before or no
point of 4 is that you feel, at your very core, you are so "flawed" in a way that is utterly different from everyone else, which gives rise to envy, jealousy, all of those super painful feelings

the "fantasy self" I guess might be something the 4 "would like to be" though at the same time they are all too attached to their flawed and authentic self image

best way out of this whole cycle is to gently let yourself appreciate the good things about you, and let go of that envy at the core, as much as you can
until, ideally, there's not much of it there anymore

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My fantasy self is basically an exaggerated me. I like to do art sometimes, but what would happen if I was a full fledged artist? I want my overall look to be the same, but what if I was airbrushed a bit? I'm a typology nerd, but what if I was a typology master? I just feel like if all the things that made me me were amped up, that I would have a true identity. This might be more 9 cause they idealize reality, but I have a lot of conversations in my head with people. It might be imagining how things could have gone differently, or what would happen if I met TypoC people.

I create a fantasy self, yet reaching that fantasy self feels odd. Not that I've really ever reached it-I've more lost it than anything. When I was younger, I was that artist. But it's like, if I reached my ideal self, the journey would be over. That even though my flaws make me feel inferior, they are what make me me so it'd feel like a part of me was missing. Logically it feels so weird, the push and pull of things, but that's just who I am.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a 4 in my tritype and this has been bothering me. Is it better to try and live up to the fantasy self or let it go? Is the fantasy self your purpose or an illusion? What happens when you live up to the fantasy self? Do you just create another one? What has your experience been?

I have 4 in my tritype too. I don't think it's possible for me to ever live up to my fantasy self, more like fantasy selves. It changes depending on my mood. For example, a lot of the time, my fantasy self is a handsome and confident man, which I don't think I can even attempt to be. It would be sad if this was my purpose, but sometimes I find myself chasing unattainable ideals and values which just leads to further disappointment in my life.

If I ever achieve something from my fantasies (which rarely ever happens), then I do go ahead and create more fantasies. I also don't celebrate my accomplishments for very long. Whatever I do never feels like it is good enough. I can probably have everything I consider to be perfect, then find something wrong with it and then want to change again. I'm very much a "grass is always greener on the other side" person.