• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 4] A Serious Question From a 9

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Are there any 4's out here who use indifference as a defense mechanism? And if so, why do you use it as such?

I'm really curious to know, so any comment/opinion is appreciated. Thanks!

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Are there any 4's out here who use indifference as a defense mechanism? And if so, why do you use it as such?

I do that 24/7...people can't hurt your feelings that much, when they think you don't give a shit

Freesia

cool cat
MBTI Type
Meow
Enneagram
:0)
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

I do this all the time. I care very deeply about so many things, and in the past people have used this against me. If they don't know what wounds you, they have a harder time getting to you.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Maybe when I was less healthy, and specifically when pertaining to Envy. If someone wore something I admired I would pointedly ignore them (so as not to get angry, :dry: product of Sx 4) or if everyone loved a certain musician or raved about a specific place I would not even give it a chance. It's almost an elitist style defense mechanism that prevents us from directly expressing envy, but it also could be a reaction (revulsion really) to anything mainstream, commonplace, inauthentic or popular.

Sorry, we can be weird. :)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, and I see some connection to 5 also. I use indifference to demotivate myself from acting, especially when faced with issues of integrity (owning to lack of it when my indulgences have led to self-sabotage or having to face a compromise head-on where it's ideal-self vs desire). Indifference is a lack of emotional drive - it's not caring. I cultivate "not caring" on purpose. I suspect this is more automatic for 5s, so that it's not cultivating anything but just experiencing it, but I still get to the point of really not caring.