• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 7] As a 7 how did you handle subjects you deemed un fun?

Rosie Drew

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I want to find away to deal with subjects like studying and homework but in order too I want all your experiences how did you deal with it please tell me.:smile:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm not a core 7, but I find that it helps me to surround myself with a pleasant atmosphere and to focus on the long-term reason I want to accomplish that task. I like making lists where I can check off accomplishments, too. I essentially create an environment full of external rewards to help motivate me to do something I'm not very intrinsically interested in. I think I also reach a point at which I confront an especially loathsome task like a challenge to be overcome and focus on my determination and the "fight" to succeed.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
- Break it down in smaller, more manageable tasks. You'll often find that they're less "unfun" to complete, because you'll gain confidence as you go by.
- Place a specific reward either at the end of the largest task (if the expected time to completion is sufficiently short), or after a given number of "chunks". That'll keep you motivated when you go past the 1/2 mark.
- If I have to complete an extremely dreadful task, I'll try to go and have a chat with some colleagues / friends / whatever to get a bit of emotional "charge".

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
- Break it down in smaller, more manageable tasks. You'll often find that they're less "unfun" to complete, because you'll gain confidence as you go by.
- Place a specific reward either at the end of the largest task (if the expected time to completion is sufficiently short), or after a given number of "chunks". That'll keep you motivated when you go past the 1/2 mark.
- If I have to complete an extremely dreadful task, I'll try to go and have a chat with some colleagues / friends / whatever to get a bit of emotional "charge".

THIS. It's all perfect. But I suspect it's because FDG leads with Te. Which is exactly what I turn on when I need to do boring stuff - I organize - I break goals in smaller parts, divide my time, award small rewards to myself etc. And definitely, talking with other people when I'm losing enthusiasm helps fuel Ne and bring back the challenge. But I guess FDG is more comfortable on doing this for along period of time. I'd be tired if I had to do it for more than a few days/week.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do whatever I can to make boring things fun. Music helps a lot. So does multi tasking. Something about switching back and forth rapidly between tasks helps keep my energy up. And so does doing anything while rocking out to music. Aside from that, I've been known to do paperwork with a really good pen that feels awesome to write with, and then do weird things like play with the way I make certain letters or other little games like that with myself.

All this said, I still suck at doing these kinds of tasks consistently and well.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
My number 1 rule is to not do things I don't feel like doing.

Yeah, but then you'll have to pay someone else to do it.

But I guess FDG is more comfortable on doing this for along period of time. I'd be tired if I had to do it for more than a few days/week.

I can plow through for a fairly long time, but that doesn't mean I like it - I get progressively grumpier.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=857]FDG[/MENTION], what [MENTION=13377]pinkgraffiti[/MENTION] said is right on. Te-dominance probably helps you a lot in this arena. It's draining for me to stay in that mode for very log, and my performance on said tasks sees a real decline over time.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
THIS. It's all perfect. But I suspect it's because FDG leads with Te. Which is exactly what I turn on when I need to do boring stuff - I organize - I break goals in smaller parts, divide my time, award small rewards to myself etc. And definitely, talking with other people when I'm losing enthusiasm helps fuel Ne and bring back the challenge. But I guess FDG is more comfortable on doing this for along period of time. I'd be tired if I had to do it for more than a few days/week.

that makes three of us (though I'm considerably younger than both of you, so I'm not very good at this yet)
Edit: guess that makes four of us

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do whatever I can to make boring things fun. Music helps a lot. So does multi tasking. Something about switching back and forth rapidly between tasks helps keep my energy up. And so does doing anything while rocking out to music. Aside from that, I've been known to do paperwork with a really good pen that feels awesome to write with, and then do weird things like play with the way I make certain letters or other little games like that with myself.

All this said, I still suck at doing these kinds of tasks consistently and well.

Same. I just instinctively try to make things fun. So if I have to clean the house I like to make really good coffee and turn on great music really loud and if I can think of a new way to arrange stuff or maybe I buy flowers or a new candle or whatever. I just try to get all into the whole thing like its a fun creative project.

Boring paperwork or editing/computer work I may get snacks or coffee (I love coffee) and find something good on tv and enjoy the whole process of getting to do it while sitting on my couch with yummy coffee maybe wearing pj bottoms.

I think what naturally occurs is just the type 7 way of reframing stuff to be enjoyable. It's appreciating all the lil details that we do have control over. The things we do like about it.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What [MENTION=857]FDG[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13377]pinkgraffiti[/MENTION] definitely works. It's gotten better/easier as I've gotten older. I have a lot more will-power to get things done (ha...the inner nagging voices get louder as I age!) and for longer periods. I've also learned to anticipate and enjoy the feeling I get from finishing some mind-numbing, tedious task...an excuse to celebrate!

Oh something else, I find it immensely helpful to have everything I need right there at my side. If I have to get up and fetch anything, it's really hard not to go flitting off in search of something more stimulating and before I know it, I've wasted a huge chunk of work time. Music is good but nothing too stimulating. The TV being on or having other people around is okay but again. The background stimulation helps keep me anchored but too much and I will abandon what I'm doing.

I think it's funny how several of us have mentioned 'talk to others' breaks. I do this, too. :blush:

Qre:us

Leave it until the last minute, so that it becomes challenging enough, like a game, where you race against time to beat the clock. Then, do it.

Or, not.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Yea or you know it just doesn't get done. Welcome to my world where everything can go fuck itself and nothing matters.

Except when they cut off electricty or you barely have money to get food :alttongue:

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
it's death.

It's horrible.

I develop and redevelop the same habits, and have to remind myself of the fate of people wo don't do a or b.

R

Riva

I think the best way to deal with tasks such as those is to form habits. To form habits form routines. A simple habit would be: studying/doing homework for two hours everyday. To form a routine-habit would be: separating 2 hours from 7 to 9 etc for studying/doing homework and never change this time unless inevitable. The good thing about habits are they are addictive whether good or bad.

Summons [MENTION=9335]Maddy[/MENTION] to give us losers some tips.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I think the best way to deal with tasks such as those is to form habits. To form habits form routines. A simple habit would be: studying/doing homework for two hours everyday. To form a routine-habit would be: separating 2 hours from 7 to 9 etc for studying/doing homework and never change this time unless inevitable. The good thing about habits are they are addictive whether good or bad.

The problem here is that adult life can sometimes be an endless string of those types of tasks, thus this strategy (which I used to follow) may not be effective when you have to execute "unpleasant tasks" for the whole day.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The problem here is that adult life can sometimes be an endless string of those types of tasks, thus this strategy (which I used to follow) may not be effective when you have to execute "unpleasant tasks" for the whole day.
This is the problem with adult life. It's too much.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

same here