• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 7] As a 7 how did you handle subjects you deemed un fun?

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I fail the class.

/100% serious

/sp-last

/"who needs money?"

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Same. I just instinctively try to make things fun. So if I have to clean the house I like to make really good coffee and turn on great music really loud and if I can think of a new way to arrange stuff or maybe I buy flowers or a new candle or whatever. I just try to get all into the whole thing like its a fun creative project.

Boring paperwork or editing/computer work I may get snacks or coffee (I love coffee) and find something good on tv and enjoy the whole process of getting to do it while sitting on my couch with yummy coffee maybe wearing pj bottoms.

I think what naturally occurs is just the type 7 way of reframing stuff to be enjoyable. It's appreciating all the lil details that we do have control over. The things we do like about it.

I do the same thing.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What [MENTION=857]FDG[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13377]pinkgraffiti[/MENTION] definitely works. It's gotten better/easier as I've gotten older. I have a lot more will-power to get things done (ha...the inner nagging voices get louder as I age!) and for longer periods. I've also learned to anticipate and enjoy the feeling I get from finishing some mind-numbing, tedious task...an excuse to celebrate!

Oh something else, I find it immensely helpful to have everything I need right there at my side. If I have to get up and fetch anything, it's really hard not to go flitting off in search of something more stimulating and before I know it, I've wasted a huge chunk of work time. Music is good but nothing too stimulating. The TV being on or having other people around is okay but again. The background stimulation helps keep me anchored but too much and I will abandon what I'm doing.

I think it's funny how several of us have mentioned 'talk to others' breaks. I do this, too. :blush:

lol, i know!

W

WhoCares

As a type 5 I feel eminently qualified to tell you what I do as it will bear absolutey no relationship to what will work for you. I learn in 30min increments only. So once a day I sit down for my 30mins of intensive. Focused verynintensely for that period of time on the task at hand, then cheerfully put it away again for tomorrow. It's the bandaid ripping principle, short, sharp and to the point. No faffing around or making it worse than it needs to be.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As a type 5 I feel eminently qualified to tell you what I do as it will bear absolutey no relationship to what will work for you. I learn in 30min increments only. So once a day I sit down for my 30mins of intensive. Focused verynintensely for that period of time on the task at hand, then cheerfully put it away again for tomorrow. It's the bandaid ripping principle, short, sharp and to the point. No faffing around or making it worse than it needs to be.

that is genius!

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Same. I just instinctively try to make things fun. So if I have to clean the house I like to make really good coffee and turn on great music really loud and if I can think of a new way to arrange stuff or maybe I buy flowers or a new candle or whatever. I just try to get all into the whole thing like its a fun creative project.

Boring paperwork or editing/computer work I may get snacks or coffee (I love coffee) and find something good on tv and enjoy the whole process of getting to do it while sitting on my couch with yummy coffee maybe wearing pj bottoms.

I think what naturally occurs is just the type 7 way of reframing stuff to be enjoyable. It's appreciating all the lil details that we do have control over. The things we do like about it.

+100

:solidarity:

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So if I have to clean the house I like to make really good coffee and turn on great music really loud

Oh yes...the bathroom would never be cleaned, meals left unprepared and clothes left in the dryer if not for this!

Drudgery housecleaning playlist! :rock:

Rosie Drew

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Maybe 7s will integrate and be able to this...:wubbie: (Wishful thinking.)

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I think the best way to deal with tasks such as those is to form habits. To form habits form routines. A simple habit would be: studying/doing homework for two hours everyday. To form a routine-habit would be: separating 2 hours from 7 to 9 etc for studying/doing homework and never change this time unless inevitable. The good thing about habits are they are addictive whether good or bad.

I really agree with what [MENTION=6164]Riva[/MENTION] is saying here. The only way I've been able to get a handle on such things is by using my Te to create good habits for myself. For example, I check my email (an onerous task for me) at two preordained times everyday. When I first instituted this routine, I felt overwhelmed. But after a couple of weeks the feeling of being overwhelmed subsided as it became a habit. Now I don't even think about it. I just do it twice a day every day.

I think the reason this strategy works is that once an activity becomes ingrained as a habit, it becomes non-conscious and thus avoids all of my conscious angst that I - as a 7 - have about such tasks.

My advice to [MENTION=20579]Rosie Drew[/MENTION] and other 7s: Use your Te to make a weekly schedule for yourself in which you do all of your onerous, but necessary, chores like studying. Make sure you go to the trouble to actually write your schedule down. (This helps keep you accountable for following it, and also makes it easier for you to tweak it as you find out what works and what doesn't.) Stick to your schedule for a month. Then reevaluate and see if it's easier for you to get sh*t done that you need to do. It won't be easy at first, but just imagine how much more awesome your life will be if you can get a handle not avoiding onerous tasks!