• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 8] changes during adolescence

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
my parents seem to think I changed when I hit adolescence. when I was a kid I was fun loving and easy going.

Apparently when I hit adoescence I became intense angry and stopped smiling. my parents seem to think there is something wrong with me from how I changed as I got older.

has any other 8 experienced a similar change before their family? is this 8 related? or should I continue to believe they are all fucking retards? My dad seems to think I randomly decided to reenact "rebel without a cause."

there was some kind of mood shift. I spoke to girls for the first time and started to harden up my emotions, but Its hard for me to understand how I came off during this time.

Alea_iacta_est

I'm not entirely an 8, but I do have an 8 fix, and something definitely happened during adolescence. I think in my early childhood the 8 was buried underneath my core 5, but I started noticing myself get way more angry than I use to around adolescence. When my 8 fix started showing, I started getting way more self-confident in myself than previously and I also became much less fearful, and way more hostile and opinionated as well. I also developed a habit of suppressing my emotions so I couldn't be called out for being emotionally weak, so whenever I got truly angry, I suppressed all of my emotions except for hatred and anger really, and that scared the shit out of my parents and friends. However, since I'm a core 5, I didn't want to be seen as emotionally imbalanced, I sort of developed as a counter-passion 8 with more emphasis on passive-aggressive anger than explosive anger. Unlike a 9 however, I would go into this state and become inflexible and hostile to those that still dare press on unless I deemed the argument to be more trouble than it was worth, in which I would simply tell them to leave me the fuck alone.

You talk about how you would get explosively angry with your parents, I realized I didn't want to go through the pointless trouble of a scream-fest so I usually just told them "alright, sorry" and desperately held back the urge to scream profanities and throw things.

I've grown to realize that explosive anger doesn't really get you anywhere, as people sort of expect it nowadays. People are always afraid of the passive-aggressives, we give off a more intimidating aura.

5w4 - 8w9 - 4w3 btw

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
passive aggressives are scary because they will slash your tires then smile at you the next day and you cant really do much about it.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
hmm... i need to ask them for observations and not judgements.

Alea_iacta_est

passive aggressives are scary because they will slash your tires then smile at you the next day and you cant really do much about it.

Yep, I'm that guy. I've done some pretty clever shit to people before. I remember one time in middle school some guy pissed me off (complete dick totally deserved it) so I weaved a story that he was racist and started spreading the rumor throughout my mostly African-American school. Fun times.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I think they also take it very personally that I would only show a girlfriend affection and not them.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Just curious...what kind of people are your parents? I mean what do they value? How do they treat you? Those kinds of things. Also, what kinds of personalities do they have? Why would they take it personally? Hope you don't mind me asking but this could prove to be a learning experience in the study of personalities.

badger055

Permabanned
That's just your brain developing probably more Se related. I knew two ESTPs who were dorks all through school until they graduated and turned into typical ESTP party animals. My Ti kicked in around the same time too.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not Se, and I'm not a core 8, but I did experience a very similar phenomenon.

As a kid, I was sort of this miserable little hypersensitive reject, creative social-4 type. I was also willful and stubborn and always had this thing about not showing pain or weakness to others...but I basically wanted people to be my friend and felt sad that they were mean to me.

Around the age of 13 I suddenly became hostile to my peers, starting thinking of life as "war", and basically stopped caring if they rejected me or not (or at least I was able to convince myself of that, lol). I wasn't openly aggressive or anything, but there was a distinct shift in mentality. I was an angry teen at home, too; my stepfather was--and is to this day--convinced I'm "criminally insane" (he's a 9w1, 925, so he's forgiven).

I've heard similar reports from other 8s and parents of 8s, as well as some cp6s. Those are both my fixes, lol, so I guess it's just inevitable.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
my parents seem to think I changed when I hit adolescence. when I was a kid I was fun loving and easy going.

Apparently when I hit adoescence I became intense angry and stopped smiling. my parents seem to think there is something wrong with me from how I changed as I got older.

has any other 8 experienced a similar change before their family? is this 8 related? or should I continue to believe they are all fucking retards? My dad seems to think I randomly decided to reenact "rebel without a cause."

there was some kind of mood shift. I spoke to girls for the first time and started to harden up my emotions, but Its hard for me to understand how I came off during this time.

I think I'm 8w7 > 7w8 atm.

Yes when I was a kid I was more fun loving & easy going. At 13, I changed by first becoming more social - see below in my comment to the other post - but that backfired for me really fast. End result was me becoming more isolated and introverted in behaviour. Though I was always introverted in behaviour as a kid before I turned 13: I did readily make contact in one-to-one situations (in my own rough way) but I didn't care about people otherwise... it was 13 when I started to care about people in general. That conflict has stayed with me since then. In certain periods, it was more of a conflict and that did make me more angry and stuff. At other times I reacted by withdrawing, making myself isolated. (Am I describing typical 8 disintegration shit now?) And what you say about certain emotions "hardening up" yeah, that's a result of that too.

None of this was family related though. I didn't start to play "rebel without a cause" at all. I didn't do the typical teenager rebel thing. For two reasons, 1) I didn't become social with my peers after all, 2) Family was never a true issue for me, I knew how to get my way or how to get through a situation otherwise :) Pretty much always felt in control at home, unlike with those social groups.

I'm not Se, and I'm not a core 8, but I did experience a very similar phenomenon.

As a kid, I was sort of this miserable little hypersensitive reject, creative social-4 type. I was also willful and stubborn and always had this thing about not showing pain or weakness to others...but I basically wanted people to be my friend and felt sad that they were mean to me.

Around the age of 13 I suddenly became hostile to my peers, starting thinking of life as "war", and basically stopped caring if they rejected me or not (or at least I was able to convince myself of that, lol). I wasn't openly aggressive or anything, but there was a distinct shift in mentality. I was an angry teen at home, too; my stepfather was--and is to this day--convinced I'm "criminally insane" (he's a 9w1, 925, so he's forgiven).

I've heard similar reports from other 8s and parents of 8s, as well as some cp6s. Those are both my fixes, lol, so I guess it's just inevitable.

I was also 13 when I changed but it was the exact opposite for me. I was more hostile to peers before, actually not exactly hostile by default, just could seem that way to an observer because my way of making contact with people was pretty rough; I was also more of a loner, didn't care if I was rejected, etc etc. At 13, I suddenly started to develop a social streak. It didn't end too well back then, but a shift in my mentality stayed, and I can't say it's entirely for the better, as I feel much better with the typical unhealthy 8 behaviour. Healthy 8 feels fine too but that's just not what I do at times. :p

Anyway, yes it seems like it's common to get some change around that age, I'm chalking it up to some hormonal change