• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 4] Why are there so many 4s here?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't notice very many 2s or 3s. Most of the stuff in this section is about 4s. But I'm more curious about the other heart centers.

Alea_iacta_est

It's because of the 4 fixation for self-discovery, they are more attracted to personality indexes like MBTI, Enneagram, and Socionics that tell them about themselves.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Because there are a lot of NFs & 4s are mostly NF. And NFs often like these theories.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Because we're self-obsessed that's why :tongue:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I guess the bigger question is why there are not more 2's and 3's here.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ Same reason there are more introverts than extroverts. 2s & 3s are more often extroverted, although I think there are more 3s here than people think. 2 & 3s are not really identity seeking...being an image type means focus on self-value, value to others, & how you appear, but not necessarily understanding the true self. 4-5-6 at the bottom of the egram are more prone to such introspecting, and there are lots of those here.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
5 and 4 seems to be the most common Enneagram type here. I would say that 7s seem more common than 6, though.

I guess 4 and 5 are very introverted Ennegrams, and therefore more prone to introspection, as you stated. I guess that means that to learn what 2s and 3s are like, I actually have to go out and talk to people. Lame.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I guess 4 and 5 are very introverted Ennegrams, and therefore more prone to introspection, as you stated. I guess that means that to learn what 2s and 3s are like, I actually have to go out and talk to people. Lame.
LOL, I know right!

I have to go live life IRL???

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
A better question is, why are there no 3-wingers?

[MENTION=13646]Haven[/MENTION] and [MENTION=16139]Honor[/MENTION] are both 2w3. :) I'm not entirely sure which one is my dominant wing. I think I picked 1 because I've mistyped as a 1 before...

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Haven and Honor are both 2w3. :) I'm not entirely sure which one is my dominant wing. I think I picked 1 because I've mistyped as a 1 before...
A 2 and a ESFJ! You're the real special snowflake around here :newwink: :D

I wish there were more 2s and 3s here too. I know a lot more about the inner workings of other types but you don't get the same level of discussion about these 2 - except for a lot of sweeping (negative) generalisations that no one challenges because people don't know enough to correct them. :unsure:

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
What can I say? 2w3s are a rare treasure.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I wish there were more 2s and 3s here too. I know a lot more about the inner workings of other types but you don't get the same level of discussion about these 2 - except for a lot of sweeping (negative) generalisations that no one challenges because people don't know enough to correct them. :unsure:

2 sounded annoying, but then I looked at the levels of development, and the things that annoyed me about it seem to really only be true at the lower levels. Looked at in that light, I'm glad we have people who like volunteering and feeding the homeless and stuff like that. Someone should do it. I just don't think it should be me. I'm too grouchy. I don't think kindness is a bad thing, I just have found that I need my boundaries.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
[MENTION=13646]Haven[/MENTION] and [MENTION=16139]Honor[/MENTION] are both 2w3. :) I'm not entirely sure which one is my dominant wing. I think I picked 1 because I've mistyped as a 1 before...

What can I say? 2w3s are a rare treasure.
Yup, I'm a 2w3 really hard :)

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
Well, to spread around some ideas: *Note: I could be wrong about all of this... but it's worth a shot ...I hope*

I used to work with a two who is super in-touch with her need to be loved. She knows why she spends her time loving people and wanting to care for them, and in that sense, she is the most intelligent person I know. Maybe she is an INFP two (because ....stereotypes *cough* only INFPs can be deep and soulful) because she truly does feel intensely. Her feeling-thoughts about humanity are very well thought out (she is an excellent writer because of that, but she'd never believe me ...too hard on herself). She does feel "ostracized" because she really worries about not being loved by others, and she'd come back from her lab feeling so down if she felt like she couldn't connect with people (meaning if people treated her coldly).

I feel like a good fictional two is Tohru (spelling?) Honda from Fruitsbasket

Standuble

A better question is, why are there no 3-wingers?

Good to see you again. I hope you are well.

I think many 4w3 types mistype as 4w5 (I have encountered one theory which states that typings such as 5w4 and 4w5 are impossible and the wing must face the central type in the triad). I myself am very likely to be 4w3 over 4w5 (I've only recently overcome the shame such a possibility presented me) and I think people are typing as 5s because the shortfalls involved are more or less the same as those for introverts - Introverts naturally will guard part of themselves and not interact overly much with the outside world because an overly demanding world will pull them in too many directions which stops them from introspecting and introversion. They don't dread the outside world (but are just aloof to it unless it stops them from enjoying their inner worlds) and don't have an overwhelming desire to gain knowledge to combat that dread.

On the other hand the 4w3 description has an extroverted, superficial flavour wich many won't relate to. The descriptions seem to overlook that a three need only to achieve (and not necessarily impress) and that in theory a 4w3 need only work towards creating a life which they believe has been worth living (even if the world itself pays no attention.)

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=18664]Stansmith[/MENTION] I can't say why others type as 4w5. I do so because I recognize MANY 5ish traits in myself--including knowledge-gathering, a sense that stuff is going to "run out", not responding in the moment, a horrid fascination with the taboo, many of the core fears of the type, as well as being totally oblivious to how I come across to others at times--and feel equally incriminated by both 4 and 5 descriptions. Even after considering the issues deeply, recognizing the ways in which each wing plays a role for me, and reading many well-respected authors, I see no reason to move off my 5-wing. I can't even blame introversion on this, since I'm Ne-dom.

[MENTION=14363]Standuble[/MENTION] I don't get why there's so much shame associated with the 3-wing (my English teacher who taught me the enneagram was a 4w3 who said the same thing). I think so much of three gets pegged as superficial posers who only think of "appearances", but the type, as I've come to understand it, is really more about having grit determination to achieve something (which unfortunately, can dissolve into only measuring goals [i.e., external standards]). The more I learn about type 3, the more I'm glad to have it as an influence. If you're a 3-winger, I think that's awesome--I'd rather NOT be a 5-winger myself and don't like reporting on that aspect of myself.

[MENTION=4660]msg_v2[/MENTION] I'm not sure why there are more 4s than the other image types...it's been this way on every enneagram forum I've visited. I assume it's got something to do with the introspective nature of the 4, combined with a 4ish desire to reach out to those who understand without having to expose themselves.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
knowledge-gathering, a sense that stuff is going to "run out", not responding in the moment, a horrid fascination with the taboo ... as well as being totally oblivious to how I come across to others at times

Ah yes, you are indeed a human being.