• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 7] Can a 7w8 whom has strong self pres be fairly cautious and not take as many risks?

Qre:us

I'm a 7w8 sp/sx. I do quite a lot of things that may be seen as risky ( am an adrenaline junkie), but my aim is to challenge myself, face my fears, and come out the other side, better/more enlightened for it. And if I get a rush, that's just deliciously added bonus. To be brave, not to be stupid."

In this regard, I get highly irritated and frustrated by others taking, what I consider, stupid risks just to show that they can. Going on a walk, in the park, at 2am, in a shady part of town, is stupid. Is it risky? Hell yes. Is it brave? Hell no. Because it is utterly idiotic to do so. And idiots are not brave, they're just too stupid to know better.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Thanks babe. I think I'm 7w6

Yeah definitely 7w6

I'm a 7w8 sp/sx. I do quite a lot of things that may be seen as risky ( am an adrenaline junkie), but my aim is to challenge myself, face my fears, and come out the other side, better/more enlightened for it. And if I get a rush, that's just deliciously added bonus. To be brave, not to be stupid."

In this regard, I get highly irritated and frustrated by others taking, what I consider, stupid risks just to show that they can. Going on a walk, in the park, at 2am, in a shady part of town, is stupid. Is it risky? Hell yes. Is it brave? Hell no. Because it is utterly idiotic to do so. And idiots are not brave, they're just too stupid to know better.

See now this is actually making me think that my friend may very well be a 7w8. So you take risk but not unnecessary risk just for the hell of it?

See now this is actually making me think that my friend may very well be a 7w8. So you take risk but not unnecessary risk just for the hell of it?

Risk is attached to a reward. "For the hell of it" is not a reward. It basically equates to risk = risk. No payoff, but an added variable introduced, potential for harm. That's incredibly short-sighted and stupid. So, no.

Btw, your thread title is grammatically incorrect. :)

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Risk is attached to a reward. "For the hell of it" is not a reward. It basically equates to risk = risk. No payoff, but an added variable introduced, potential for harm. That's incredibly shortsighted and stupid. So, no.

Btw, your thread title is grammatically incorrect. :)

But do you actually enjoy taking the risk?

badger055

Permabanned
But it looks like you have an 8 fix, though. That's probably why you are so abrasive. What would a 7w8 with a 1w9 fix be like?

Yea I do. That would be a tougher one to pick out. The 1 and 7 would clash and they would probably flip flop from one to the other. 1s tend to have this daddy supervisor approach so look for that and signs of being a critic/perfectionist.

If you want to know if he is a 7w8 don't look at the risky stuff. That isn't how I would define being a 7w8. Just make sure he is a 7 first look for 7 qualities.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Yea I do. That would be a tougher one to pick out. The 1 and 7 would clash and they would probably flip flop from one to the other. 1s tend to have this daddy supervisor approach so look for that and signs of being a critic/perfectionist.

If you want to know if he is a 7w8 don't look at the risky stuff. That isn't how I would define being a 7w8. Just make sure he is a 7 first look for 7 qualities.

He is either a core 7 or a core 3. He seems to feel fairly confident that he's a core 7 though. How would you diagnose the 6 or 7 wing though?

But do you actually enjoy taking the risk?

Scenario: cliff diving. Let's say I've done it before because the the reward of the adrenaline rush was amazing. Then, another opportunity presents itself to do it again. However, this time, my mental faculties were compromised (inebriated and high as a motherfucking kite). My adrenaline rush will not be pure, which is my reward of the whole experience. Thus, I will not jump, whereas others would say that it would make me more prone to making risky decisions, but if I am not in complete control, feel confident in my stone cold sobriety, I will shy away from risks. Because I do not trust my decision-making nor my ability to get the intended outcome out of the situation, and as such, I will refuse to engage in decision-making in favour of potential for high risks, during these times. Self preserving - in essence.

I'm more calculating in my carefree (ness), unlike a 7w6.

The above may or may not be based on a real scenario.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Scenario: cliff diving. Let's say I've done it before because the the reward of the adrenaline rush was amazing. Then, another opportunity presents itself to do it again. However, this time, my mental faculties were compromised (inebriated and high as a motherfucking kite). My adrenaline rush will not be pure, which is my reward of the whole experience. Thus, I will not jump, whereas others would say that it would make me more prone to making risky decisions, but if I am not in complete control, feel confident in my stone cold sobriety, I will shy away from risks. Because I do not trust my decision-making nor my ability to get the intended outcome out of the situation, and as such, I will refuse to engage in decision-making in favour of potential for high risks, during these times. Self preserving - in essence.

I'm more calculating in my carefree (ness), unlike a 7w6.

The above may or may not be based on a real scenario.

So I'm seeing that sp 7w8's tend to weigh pros and cons a a lot.

So in other words, you would almost be like James Bond for instance. You would be the type to go on dangerous missions if they would offer you a lot of money, and if they would provide a good adrenaline rush. However, you wouldn't be the type just to go to a blood neighborhood and wear all blue, just to see if you don't get killed, because their is no final reward for this, and it is just taking risk for no reason?

Also, just like I asked the other guy, "Do you just automatically think things will go right like most 7w8's"? I mean the self pres variant says to a person, "Hey I don't want to get hurt, and I want to be safe". However, what goes on in your 7w8 head that even let's you know that you could possibly get hurt? I mean, it seems to me like most of the 7w8's that I have met don't even consider the possibility of danger before making a crazy decision? Please describe to me how this works.

So I'm seeing that sp 7w8's tend to weigh pros and cons a a lot.

So in other words, you would almost be like James Bond for instance. You would be the type to go on dangerous missions if they would offer you a lot of money, and if they would provide a good adrenaline rush. However, you wouldn't be the type just to go to a blood neighborhood and wear all blue, just to see if you don't get killed, because their is no final reward for this, and it is just taking risk for no reason?

:D when you set it up like that, of course, one would choose the wangster idiot over being likened to Bond, James Bond.

Also, just like I asked the other guy, "Do you just automatically think things will go right like most 7w8's"? I mean the self pres variant says to a person, "Hey I don't want to get hurt, and I want to be safe". However, what goes on in your 7w8 head that even let's you know that you could possibly get hurt? I mean, it seems to me like most of the 7w8's that I have met don't even consider the possibility of danger before making a crazy decision? Please describe to me how this works.

At my core, I am a 7, so, I am impulsive and personally, I am easily influenced by an idea. I also like to really, really, avoid pain. So "getting hurt" is definitely a consideration, but at the same time, I have a curiosity to want to experience EVERYTHING, especially when it is sold as an appealing idea!!! But, I rarely get "analysis paralysis", which I'll say is my 8 wing coming in. If I get to that point, where I need to decide, I'm pretty quick to go through the decision-making, and translate that to an action. My risk-analysis takes place pretty quickly, but if it is at a stalemate, between "to do" or "not to do", I am more likely to say, "Fuck it," and jump. But, if my risk-analysis clearly indicates that this is foolhardy, with no great big payoff, then my decision is firmly a "no".

Either way, whether I say, "Fuck it" and jump, or firmly stand by my "no".....my decision is executed with self-assuredness. There is no hesitation, no anxiety. Once I make my decision, it is made. As a "P", I am very open-ended, such that when it is finally time to make a decision, it must (internally) take a lot for me to get to that stage, so when a decision of mine is made, with a lot of stubbornness against change, it will be executed.

I think what you're seeing is, (1) what you consider risky may be different than what your friend considers risky, (2) "not consider the possibility of danger before making a crazy decision" is likely the manifestation of a 7w8 making a quick decision (internally), which they then execute with seemingly outward bold confidence. So it looks like they got from point A to point B with nary a thought to consequences (which is not true, it just happens quickly and executed with brazenness) - self-preserving would necessitate them to be calculating towards such risks.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
At my core, I am a 7, so, I am impulsive and personally, I am easily influenced by an idea. I also like to really, really, avoid pain. So "getting hurt" is definitely a consideration, but at the same time, I have a curiosity to want to experience EVERYTHING, especially when it is sold as an appealing idea!!! But, I rarely get "analysis paralysis", which I'll say is my 8 wing coming in. If I get to that point, where I need to decide, I'm pretty quick to go through the decision-making, and translate that to an action. My risk-analysis takes place pretty quickly, but if it is at a stalemate, between "to do" or "not to do", I am more likely to say, "Fuck it," and jump. But, if my risk-analysis clearly indicates that this is foolhardy, with no great big payoff, then my decision is firmly a "no".

Either way, whether I say, "Fuck it" and jump, or firmly stand by my "no".....my decision is executed with self-assuredness. There is no hesitation, no anxiety. Once I make my decision, it is made. As a "P", I am very open-ended, such that when it is finally time to make a decision, it must (internally) take a lot for me to get to that stage, so when a decision of mine is made, with a lot of stubbornness against change, it will be executed.

I think what you're seeing is, (1) what you consider risky may be different than what your friend considers risky, (2) "not consider the possibility of danger before making a crazy decision" is likely the manifestation of a 7w8 making a quick decision (internally), which they then execute with seemingly outward bold confidence. So it looks like they got from point A to point B with nary a thought to consequences (which is not true, it just happens quickly and executed with brazenness) - self-preserving would necessitate them to be calculating towards such risks.

So what I am gathering from this, is that 7w8's make decisions fast. However, with self-pres added to the mix, it tends to make the 7w8 much more aware of the possibility of getting hurt from making the decision. However, the big difference between the 7w8 and the 7w6 is that the 7w6 will kind of have that 6 wing constantly saying to itself, "Wait should I do this or do this"? So in other words, the 7w6's tend to make slower decisions because they constantly have the questioning 6 wing, whereas the 8 wingers don't really have that. But the 7w8's on the other hand, will make a fast decision and just go for it? Is this correct?

So what I am gathering from this, is that 7w8's make decisions fast. However, with self-pres added to the mix, it tends to make the 7w8 much more aware of the possibility of getting hurt from making the decision. However, the big difference between the 7w8 and the 7w6 is that the 7w6 will kind of have that 6 wing constantly saying to itself, "Wait should I do this or do this"? So in other words, the 7w6's tend to make slower decisions because they constantly have the questioning 6 wing, whereas the 8 wingers don't really have that. But the 7w8's on the other hand, will make a fast decision and just go for it? Is this correct?

No idea, just sharing my thought process. You may need a sample size greater than 1.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
No idea, just sharing my thought process. You may need a sample size greater than 1.

Well [MENTION=16476]badger055[/MENTION] :

Do you agree with what this poster is saying? Do you do this too?

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

But that might make things confusing if they aren't like you. :(

badger055

Permabanned
Well [MENTION=16476]badger055[/MENTION] :

Do you agree with what this poster is saying? Do you do this too?

Yea I agree with it. When it comes to risks that don't interest me though I won't do it and I can seem very safe. Also sometimes I can get stuck with big decisions that look equally good and then I get thrown through a loop. I really don't like it when that happens. So not always easy to make decisions but yea I'm more likely to say fuck it and just choose one then correct it after the fact. I would describe it as a bold independent mentality.

7w8s are the badboy/badgirl side of seven. They don't feel a need to "check in" with others. Their eight wing makes them less openly vulnerable. They relate to others from a position of strength as opposed to establishing solidarity. They assume people don't like them until they do so they don't need validation. Misconceptions of what a seven is don't really bother them personally. They don't care about how they are seen like their six-winged siblings. They value freedom more and are much more independent. They want the strings attached between them and others kept to a minimum. Their eight wing makes them more even-keeled. It takes more to excite them or make them depressed. They are more insensitive and have more of a "shocking" sense of humor and tend to be funny characters more than they have funny material.

You hear that guys I'm not a troll I'm a bad boy .

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's quite the conundrum. What with me being a special snowflake, and all.

Screw it. I think the world is ready for a Udog Temperament Indicator (UTI). It'll have 7.13 billion different personality types, and you can take the test via an online streaming service to find out which type you're in.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=16476]badger055[/MENTION]

So are you saying that you make fast decisions for the most part, but with some really important decisions you tend to take a step back and analyze?

badger055

Permabanned
[MENTION=16476]badger055[/MENTION]

So are you saying that you make fast decisions for the most part, but with some really important decisions you tend to take a step back and analyze?

Yea. Well I tend to analyze everything but its done on the fly. Think Iron Man.