• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Enneatypes] Authenticity

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
What do my fellow image triaders think about authenticity?

I'm interested in hearing some perspectives on being authentic *cough* 4s *cough*, so I'm looking to this board for some insight.

What does authenticity mean to you? How important is it to you? Do you consider yourself to be a very authentic person compared to others (or is comparing yourself to others not authentic?) What do you see as not authentic? Do you think there are times when authenticity is or is not important?

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I will try to answer to the best of my self-knowledge.

What does authenticity mean to you?

I would say it means being real in your self-expression. Expressing sincere emotions. Expressing yourself artistically in ways which reflect your real inner state and experiences.

How important is it to you?

Very important.

Do you consider yourself to be a very authentic person compared to others (or is comparing yourself to others not authentic?)

It depends. I see many people who are as authentic as me, and a few who, in my opinion, should care about it more. It really bugs me when people I know are inauthentic, though I try and tell myself that they dont get it because they aerent fours like me. I try to forgive them for it, but I also feel its my responsibilty to criticise them for it. Not that they listen...

What do you see as not authentic?

Personal values that have no root, that aerent value systems in themselves, but rather, that are the result of manipulation by an outside force. IOW, "values" dictated by the agendas of polticians to control populations are not authentic.
Do you think there are times when authenticity is or is not important?

I think so, but I dont think those situations interest me, so I cant name any.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I will try to answer to the best of my self-knowledge.
Excellent, thank you. sorry for the slow response.

I would say it means being real in your self-expression. Expressing sincere emotions. Expressing yourself artistically in ways which reflect your real inner state and experiences.
So you are saying it is directly tied to self-expression. I suppose there are many ways to express yourself, even harmful and offensive ways, but honesty of expression is the defining thing here.

Also, in order to be authentic, you must express yourself. No sitting on the sidelines is allowed here.

Very important.

I'd be interested in hearing about just how important. it's a 2 thing. but no worries, maybe this could be it's own thread.

It depends. I see many people who are as authentic as me, and a few who, in my opinion, should care about it more. It really bugs me when people I know are inauthentic, though I try and tell myself that they dont get it because they aerent fours like me. I try to forgive them for it, but I also feel its my responsibilty to criticise them for it. Not that they listen...
Truth is the first casualty in many situations.
Personal values that have no root, that aerent value systems in themselves, but rather, that are the result of manipulation by an outside force. IOW, "values" dictated by the agendas of polticians to control populations are not authentic.
True, many values have no root, but are used as tools to manipulate instead of help people. This could also be it's own thread.
I think so, but I dont think those situations interest me, so I cant name any.

This is fun to talk about

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Trying to falsely impress others in an attempt to improve their impression of you is not being authentic (but rather, fake.)

Falsely bonding with another person and giving them the impression that you are "tight" and they won't betray you- but they do- is not being authentic.

So it's doing the opposite of the above. Being your true self. As long as your true self is not harmful to others in some way, it shows you as your pure self and not something made up. I would rather be around those who are crude and true than great and fake.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There's nothing I dislike more than phoniness, whether in others or in myself.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
What do my fellow image triaders think about authenticity?

I'm interested in hearing some perspectives on being authentic *cough* 4s *cough*, so I'm looking to this board for some insight.

What does authenticity mean to you? How important is it to you? Do you consider yourself to be a very authentic person compared to others (or is comparing yourself to others not authentic?) What do you see as not authentic? Do you think there are times when authenticity is or is not important?

I guess I would say authenticity is being true to yourself. I value internal authenticity highly and outward authenticity not as much. I most cases don't mind if other people think that my thoughts/opinions are different than what they are. And sometimes I pretend to be something different from my authentic self to avoid having to deal with people. I it's not a situation where I can effect any change I generally do need people to know my position. It's hard to say how authentic I am in comparison to others. I think adhere to fewer traditional rules but I think my ideal self is more radical than other people's. I have a friend whose very traditional but that I think is her authentic desire. I'm also not sure what I want and I don't think I really have an ideal self so many what's more in my way then others is my own lack of self-definition. I think a lack of authenticity would be conciously crossing against what you feel is good. Still complicated though as the various values of your life present different instances of good I.e valuing pleasing you family as something you authentically care about but also wanting to break their traditions.
I'd say authenticity is important when protecting others, truth and areas where you are in control. I don't think it's necessarily important to assert your personality at all times.