• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 4] Why are Sunglasses so popular among Fours?

S

Stansmith

I've noticed 80% of the type 4s I see on a day-to-day basis wear sunglasses, walk REALLY fast and have a somewhat angry, unapproachable look on their face. Sunglasses (even indoors!) and those weird, colored-frames are pretty popular among 4-celebrities too.

Any idea why so many 4s like covering their eyes so much? Can any of you guys relate to how I've described IRL Fours at all? Lol. I wouldn't be surprised if all those "4s" I'm seeing are just Counterphobic-6 hipsters (most young white people in Brooklyn are gonna dress/look like that).

JohnnyDeppApr2011.jpg

esq-jarvis-cocker-042711-lg.jpg

Ray-Ban-3025-Aviator-Michael-Jackson-2-big.jpg

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Big dark glasses hide a multitude of sins.

S

Stansmith

I'm going off on a tangent here, but I've also noticed that older 4s tend to look really dreamy and tend to dress exotically for their age. Instead of wearing grandpa pants the women will probably wear drapes (more 4w5) or something, while the men will probably wear an opened up buttoned shirt with some sort of exotic necklace under it (more 4w3). Lots of darker hues in general compared to other people their age..

Morrissey.jpg

david-lynch_784x0.jpg

They seem to maintain this sort of youthful or sexual (more-so in men) spirit as they age.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Fuck sunglasses. Why is black nail polish so popular among 4w5's?

E

Epiphany

The eyes are the gateway to the soul. It's like wearing a socially acceptable mask so people can't read you. I'm not very emotionally expressive, but my eyes convey my mood.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've noticed 80% of the type 4s I see on a day-to-day basis wear sunglasses, walk REALLY fast and have a somewhat angry, unapproachable look on their face. Sunglasses (even indoors!) and those weird, colored-frames are pretty popular among 4-celebrities too.

I own one pair of sunglasses, and I wear them only when my eyes are bothered by the sun-- so I can't relate there. I have been told that I walk purposefully or forcefully (but not "fast"), and have definitely been accused of being unapproachable.

I wouldn't be surprised if all those "4s" I'm seeing are just Counterphobic-6 hipsters (most young white people in Brooklyn are gonna dress/look like that).

Agreed.

Fuck sunglasses. Why is black nail polish so popular among 4w5's?

I haven't worn black nail polish in years, though I often wear gray, plum and other dark hues in the winter. I do have a 6w7 friend who sports black nail polish though. :shrug:

The eyes are the gateway to the soul. It's like wearing a socially acceptable mask so people can't read you. I'm not very emotionally expressive, but my eyes convey my mood.

Huh, that's interesting-- that's exactly why I don't wear them unless it's sunny, and hate talking to people who are wearing sunglasses. I also express a great deal with my eyes, which to me is a reason not to unnecessarily wear sunglasses.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I like wearing dark sunglasses so I can people watch surreptitiously. :ninja: :peepwall:

And [MENTION=18664]Stansmith[/MENTION], I'm pretty sure Michael Jackson was a 9.

B

brainheart

And [MENTION=18664]Stansmith[/MENTION], I'm pretty sure Michael Jackson was a 9.

Finally someone says this! I totally agree. 9w1 so/sx. Same with David Lynch, except he's 9w1 sp/sx.

I wear sunglasses because of the sun. Sometimes when I'm overly depressed I wear them because I don't want people seeing the despair in my eyes and trying to 'help'. But I don't think of myself as being more of a sunglass wearer than others. A lot of the times I don't wear them because it puts this barrier between me and whatever or whomever grabs me. I like eye contact with the ones that matter.

B

brainheart

Any idea why so many 4s like covering their eyes so much? Can any of you guys relate to how I've described IRL Fours at all? Lol. I wouldn't be surprised if all those "4s" I'm seeing are just Counterphobic-6 hipsters (most young white people in Brooklyn are gonna dress/look like that).

Bingo.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I like sunglasses and I'm a 7. And my 2w3 friend never stops wearing them. I'm sure it's not THAT connected to 4. Everyone from California would be a 4 otherwise. ;)

Sunny Ghost

I'm not big on a lot of sunglasses. Mostly, I have a face that doesn't suit them very well. :(

I DO like black nail polish. And dark reds, grey's, plums.

My new favorite polish is very bright blue though. It's called, "Watercolor." :smile:

Hope you're right about the aging thing. I do have this sense of only getting better, as I get older.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I live in Southern California... so I wear them outside because it's often very sunny & bright. I actually don't like how they feel on my face though. I do own like 5 pairs because I am a novelty junkie and don't like to wear the same thing all the time.

Anyway...perhaps it's to hide being "liquid-eyed", "languorous" & "forlorn". Or maybe it's just an image thing - one more way to play with your visual identity (and sunglasses are one of few commonly worn accessories for men).

I do tend to wear a sour puss face. I would not go so far as to call it "angry", but 4s may run the gamut from a listless kind of sad (often seen on some 9s too!) to a more seething bitterness. I tend to see this as a sx last to sx first gamut.
Anyhow, people ask me what is wrong a lot, as if I always look upset. This used to irritate me, but now I just try to adjust if conscious of it. My neutral face is "sad" though, and sometimes "hateful" if more sx-y.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i don't really make this observation alongside you.

i'd rather wildly and absurdly speculate on the e4 --> I.B.S. / digestive issues --> magnesium deficiency story i just made up. so, light sensitivity.

additional point of note: most of your seratonin is made and exchanged in your gut. perhaps we may discover that e4s often have pronounced sleep quality issues too (apart from the more anxiety driven, disconnecting from your body experience of head type energies).

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

i'd rather wildly and absurdly speculate on the e4 --> I.B.S. / digestive issues --> magnesium deficiency story i just made up. so, light sensitivity.

additional point of note: most of your seratonin is made and exchanged in your gut. perhaps we may discover that e4s often have pronounced sleep quality issues too (apart from the more anxiety driven, disconnecting from your body experience of head type energies).

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

e4 Morrissey has Barrett's esophagus, often developed after years of severe GERD.

I know another INFP e4 with rather severe GERD that led to asthma. I have GERD rather bad when stressed & have so much pain in my esophagus & swelling in the throat that I can't eat much.

It's only 3 people, but when I read about 4s & digestive problems (we're most disconnected from our gut figuratively also), it was a strange coincidence. I think it has to do with internalizing so much melodramatic feeling. The 4 kind of embodies the state of unsure or tragic romance - infatuation, unrequited love, heartbreak. These are all associated with appetite problems and sour tummies.

Of course GERD is very, very common, but not usually that severe. Most get heartburn and pop a tums and they're fine.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I do tend to wear a sour puss face. I would not go so far as to call it "angry", but 4s may run the gamut from a listless kind of sad (often seen on some 9s too!) to a more seething bitterness. I tend to see this as a sx last to sx first gamut.
Anyhow, people ask me what is wrong a lot, as if I always look upset. This used to irritate me, but now I just try to adjust if conscious of it. My neutral face is "sad" though, and sometimes "hateful" if more sx-y.

B

brainheart

My face/ personal situation is more like this:

That said, apparently I have a look that terrifies people. I guess that must be the angry look.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
e4 Morrissey has Barrett's esophagus, often developed after years of severe GERD.

I know another INFP e4 with rather severe GERD that led to asthma. I have GERD rather bad when stressed & have so much pain in my esophagus & swelling in the throat that I can't eat much.

It's only 3 people, but when I read about 4s & digestive problems (we're most disconnected from our gut figuratively also), it was a strange coincidence. I think it has to do with internalizing so much melodramatic feeling. The 4 kind of embodies the state of unsure or tragic romance - infatuation, unrequited love, heartbreak. These are all associated with appetite problems and sour tummies.

Of course GERD is very, very common, but not usually that severe. Most get heartburn and pop a tums and they're fine.

i know multiple 4s and w4s that have severe digestive health issues. i could see the personality traits and the digestive health being co-conspirators. from my own experience, as far as impulses go, i think eating for grounding from anxiety, eating for a feeling of satiation to numb discomfort, and eating for extended malnutrition make sense. i don't have experience being at the point where the digestive health is so bad that eating cons outweigh the pros, but my digestive system has always been poorly balanced. maybe there is also a difference in the instincts too, as sx to me has a binge-worthy quality, and i'm more likely to make poor food decisions based on overeating rather than under (ya know, want rather than need).

there's a kind of contentment that one gets from feeling well-nourished but a difficulty in knowing the difference between well-nourished and just full. i wouldn't be surprised if a huge aspect of our emotional interpretations arise out of the grounding of that originary system. that the 4 lack of self-trust is in part a lack of trusting in one's own nourishment and ability to nourish oneself and opportunity to receive nourishment from others. and how easy it is to have an unconscious feedbacking process between mind and body, again and again and again. part of me wants to speculate about breastfeeding success, but that's a sample of one. so many other related elements, too, especially oxytocin, to consider, as a hormonal bridge between nervous system and raw dietary strength. maybe there is a kind of starvation adaptation, that glacial, cold weather, northern, winter wheat, stark eyed e4 quality.

if you're interested, i really like some of the food principles of tcm and ayurveda. they stress balancing tastes. eating live, naturally fermented, sour foods, and bitters (like bitter greens and many vegetables). bitter is said to have a tonifying, cooling, cleansing affect (like cucumber, celery, etc) and really helps balance the digestive system, especially in a culture of processed food seeding a wildly out of balance bacterial environment within the stomach lining, and causing us especially in a meat-centric culture to basically burn our way through foods rather than allowing a proper food chain of digestion in which we support the ecosystem to work of its own accord. ayurveda also divides bitter into a second category that is, as i interpret it, based on astringency, like tannin, coffee, woody roastedness, etc. spices and condiments are really helpful too. for severe stomach pain/digestive lining issues, making bone broths is supposed to be one of the best things you can do.