• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 8] Why is 8 correlated with Thinking types?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
many 8s are intelligent and strategic thinkers, but a read of any decent 8 description should make clear that 8 is not a fundamentally rational type, but an instinctual, temperamental and "go with what feels right" type. yes, you have you NTJ 8 "take over the world" types (usually 5 fixed and Sp dom), but these are the exception, not the rule.

if anything, the type that comes to my mind when reading most 8 descriptions is ESFP. when I think Thinking types, I think more along the lines of 1, 5 and 6w5

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If your theory is correct then why do we see so few feeling type 8's on the forum?

simple:
1) many Thinkers mistype as 8s
2) many Feeling 8s mistype as other types
3) fewer 8s are interested in typology

your ESFP 8w7 manager that we talked about is a good example. I'm pretty sure that guy would not type as a Feeler

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
simple:
1) many Thinkers mistype as 8s
2) many Feeling 8s mistype as other types
3) fewer 8s are interested in typology

your ESFP 8w7 manager that we talked about is a good example. I'm pretty sure that guy would not type as a Feeler

But because he was type 8 he had strong Te. Another good question that I have to ask you to refute this theory, is that if thinking functions don't correlate with type 8, then why is it that you almost never see a feeling dom whom is a type 8? If you think about it, the people that are indeed feelers that are type 8's are almost always people with a strong thinking tertiary functions.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But because he was type 8 he had strong Te. Another good question that I have to ask you to refute this theory, is that if thinking functions don't correlate with type 8, then why is it that you almost never see a feeling dom whom is a type 8? If you think about it, the people that are indeed feelers that are type 8's are almost always people with a strong thinking tertiary functions.

well:
EFJ: dom/aux Fe is rather antithetical to 8 (I should have clarified I was talking more about FPs)

IFP: IFP 8 doesn't seem too bizarre to me, though they wouldn't look stereotypically 8. two good examples are:
1) Sean Penn: INFP 8w7 Sx/Sp
2) Johnny Cash: ISFP 8w9 Sx/Sp

the 8w9(sw9w1) in particular I could easily see as being Fi dom. other potential Fi dom 8s
Arya Stark (Game of Thrones: ISFP 8w7(sw7w6) Sx/Sp (could be 7w8 and/or ESFP)
Nightmare (Soul Calibur): I?FP 8w9(sw9w1) Sx/Sp
Katniss Everdeen (The Hunger Games): ISFP 8w9(sw9w1) Sp/Sx

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It could be an Se thing? Given that 7w8 is common among ESPs and 9w8 is very common among ISPs. NFJs could also disintegrate to 8 if they were 2s, which parallels the idea that people use their lower functions (in this case, Se and Ti) when faced with stress.

:thinking:

S

Stansmith

ESFP is the only non-thinker type that's likely to be one. Throw in a few ENFJs and that's pretty much it (unless you wanna start bringing up INTP 4s).

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure 8's are correlated with T. I had an ENFJ manager for awhile who acted very much like an 8 in just that "instinctual, temperamental and 'go with what feels right'" way.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
It could be an Se thing? Given that 7w8 is common among ESPs and 9w8 is very common among ISPs. NFJs could also disintegrate to 8 if they were 2s, which parallels the idea that people use their lower functions (in this case, Se and Ti) when faced with stress.

:thinking:

It's not an Se thing, it's the tertiary Te.

ESFP is the only non-thinker type that's likely to be one. Throw in a few ENFJs and that's pretty much it (unless you wanna start bringing up INTP 4s).

I think that there's a fare share of ENFP 8's as well, but again they almost always have strong Te.
[MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION]

Dude pretty much every piece of enneagram data ever correlates thinkers with enneagram 8. It's just weird for feelers to be type 8.

Personalitycafe enneagram + mbti correlation

9types.com mbti + enneagram correlation

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it doesn't seem thinkerly to me really. just sort of te bossy

eta: oh right yeah what the great one said...yep.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=15607]The Great One[/MENTION]
1) I'm not saying the majority of 8s aren't Thinkers (I think it's about a 60/40 T/F split), but I don't think it's because 8 is correlated with Thinking as much as it is correlated against dom/aux Extroverted Feeling (a subtle distinction I know, but an important one imo). I think there are plenty of FP 8s running around out there.
2) feel free to present any evidence you wish, but you will have to justify it's validity because, for the reasons I've already stated, it's not likely to be.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think the reason my ex who self typed as enfp but is an 8 seemed t ish

S

Stansmith

8 is basically any type with a thinking function as their Dom, Aux or Tertiary.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Tertiary Te? In STPs? :blink: If it's Te, then why would 9w8 be "very common" among ISFPs who have inferior Te?

If an ISFP is a 9w8, they are almost always a 9w8(sw1w9), which is still a very docile type. When thinking of this type, think of the drug dealer guy with the monkey from "Grandma's Boy". They don't look like a core 8 at all.

[MENTION=15607]The Great One[/MENTION]
1) I'm not saying the majority of 8s aren't Thinkers (I think it's about a 60/40 T/F split), but I don't think it's because 8 is correlated with Thinking as much as it is correlated against dom/aux Extroverted Feeling (a subtle distinction I know, but an important one imo). I think there are plenty of FP 8s running around out there.
2) feel free to present any evidence you wish, but you will have to justify it's validity because, for the reasons I've already stated, it's not likely to be.

how many IxFJ and INTP 8s do you know?

You have a point. Personally I think that core 8's are correlated more with "Take Charge" types than any thing else. Take charge types are ESTP, ESTJ, ENTJ, and ENFJ.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If an ISFP is a 9w8, they are almost always a 9w8(sw1w9), which is still a very docile type. When thinking of this type, think of the drug dealer guy with the monkey from "Grandma's Boy". They don't look like a core 8 at all.
I've met plenty of ISFP 9w8sw8w7s

You have a point. Personally I think that core 8's are correlated more with "Take Charge" types than any thing else. Take charge types are ESTP, ESTJ, ENTJ, and ENFJ.
eh, I don't really like that dichotomy. I've seen plenty of ENFP, ESFP and ENTP personalities who were very Take Charge. all three of these types I see being more likely to be 8s than an ENFJ (dom Fe and 8 don't mix well)