• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 8] Why is 8 correlated with Thinking types?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION]

I'm still not seeing many feeling dom 8w7's.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

apart from what has already been said (Fe and 8 don't fit together well, 8s are rare, Fi doms are also rare) that's largely because most 8w7s are extroverts (with an occasional ISTP or INTJ). I?FP 8w9 I don't see being that much of a stretch though.

PS: I think [MENTION=17805]Anima[/MENTION]l is an INFP 8w7. you may want to talk to her

mcgooglian

MBTI Type
ISTP
8s are assholes and don't care about peoples feelings and neither do Ts. Simple as that. :tongue10:

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=18820]Dancing_Queen[/MENTION]

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
One 8 problem is building an outer protective "shell" and distancing themselves from allowing others to get through to them and impact them deeply, thereby protecting themselves from ever being threatened or limited by others. That shell may be somewhat inhibitory for Feelers, who often tend to use personal impact as a measuring stick for value-based judgment. Hence 8 being less common amongst Fs, perhaps.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
apart from what has already been said (Fe and 8 don't fit together well, 8s are rare, Fi doms are also rare) that's largely because most 8w7s are extroverts (with an occasional ISTP or INTJ). I?FP 8w9 I don't see being that much of a stretch though.

PS: I think [MENTION=17805]Anima[/MENTION]l is an INFP 8w7. you may want to talk to her

I agree with most of this, but I just don't see the Fi dom 8's in real life or online. Oh and I can tell the difference between an ISFP 8 and an ISTP 8 very easily. To me, Jango unchained was a clear ISTP 8w7 and Katness was a clear 8w9 ISFP. You can see that Fi vs. Ti if you look for it.

8s are assholes and don't care about peoples feelings and neither do Ts. Simple as that. :tongue10:

Yeah I agree with this.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Because thinkers are better at objective thinking.

Type 8s are no better at objective thinking than feelers or thinkers. And thinkers are not outstanding at it at all. If we're talking generalities, they just REALLY focus on making sure they don't follow the 'emotional appeal' fallacy to the point of thinking there is a hierarchy for fallacies.. Which is, in and of itself, a fallacy.

If your theory is correct then why do we see so few feeling type 8's on the forum?

I think a combination of type 8 feelers being uninterested in this particular forum, mistypings, and the fact that I don't feel 8 is at all the most abundant type out there by any means. Correlation is not causation though.

I don't even think we've studied the forum to find out if there are more type 8 thinkers vs feelers in general, so I don't know if we can make that assumption outright. But even if it were the case, that does not mean that this forum is an overall accurate representation of population. (Most of the population is ISTJ according to some, and yet we lack them severely.)

You're getting oddly specific now. The question was posed about feelers.. and now we're getting into tertiary functions vs type 8 to try to continue to make a point?

I would disagree with that entirely.

One 8 problem is building an outer protective "shell" and distancing themselves from allowing others to get through to them and impact them deeply, thereby protecting themselves from ever being threatened or limited by others. That shell may be somewhat inhibitory for Feelers, who often tend to use personal impact as a measuring stick for value-based judgment. Hence 8 being less common amongst Fs, perhaps.

I would expound upon this and say that many people who are indeed feelers mistake themselves as thinkers for protective measures like this one. The ability to use Te does not make you a thinker at all--nor does it make you any type that uses tertiary Te. Everyone uses every function to some extent. Enneagram and MBTI are not linked together, they were not made to be part of the same system, and neither completely encompasses the whole picture of a person. Which is why so many people decide they are a different type years later. Something clicks, and they realize that x situation was causing a y reaction which showed up as ISFP somehow. Or type 7, when they were actually type 3.

People see what they want to see. Type 8s look like total assholes, or total superheroes, however people end up writing about them. Since most people do not relate to that, and certainly feelers tend to not, it is easy to steer away from the type on simple grounds of inappropriate stereotypes and write-ups sans in depth research. Which, might I add, most of us don't want to do on here.. (myself included in this.)

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I've been wondering this myself. 8 seems very Fi-ish--screw what society says, do it your own way. Justice. War vs Peace.

When I start talking about how I experience my 8-fix, others have told me it really sounds "more Fi"--Justice. War vs Peace. Screw society. Lol.

It's possible that many 8s mistype as Thinkers, for one thing. I personally type strongly on Sensing/Thinking, and I'm 99% sure it's the 8-fix that influences that.

I am capable of being--
- blunt and insensitive
- more concerned with justice and fairness than interpersonal considerations
- outwardly cold and unfeeling
- strategic
- value my ability to think logically and clearly (could be 5ish)
- see most emotional displays as "sentimental" and therefore "weak"
- avoid expressing feelings due to vulnerability/inherent aversion to doing so
- and I could probably list all the criteria of "Thinking"

It was really hard for me to accept I was more likely a "Feeler". I'm "obviously" a Thinker, lol.

So, that may be one reason there's a dearth of Feeling 8s--simple mistyping! I know that ExFP 8s do exist, and I've heard reports of INFJ 8s as well.

rav3n

To apply Big Five dimensions, feelers correlate to agreeableness where thinkers correlate to egocentricity.

This is why I question feeler 8s. They strike me more as CP sixes or threes.

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
many 8s are intelligent and strategic thinkers, but a read of any decent 8 description should make clear that 8 is not a fundamentally rational type, but an instinctual, temperamental and "go with what feels right" type. yes, you have you NTJ 8 "take over the world" types (usually 5 fixed and Sp dom), but these are the exception, not the rule.

if anything, the type that comes to my mind when reading most 8 descriptions is ESFP. when I think Thinking types, I think more along the lines of 1, 5 and 6w5

Do you have a good (and free!) online Ennagram test you can recommend? I know I"m a 7- but beyond that --- I just dunno. :( Thanks!

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7

I've been wondering this myself. 8 seems very Fi-ish--screw what society says, do it your own way. Justice. War vs Peace.

When I start talking about how I experience my 8-fix, others have told me it really sounds "more Fi"--Justice. War vs Peace. Screw society. Lol.

It's possible that many 8s mistype as Thinkers, for one thing. I personally type strongly on Sensing/Thinking, and I'm 99% sure it's the 8-fix that influences that.

I am capable of being--
- blunt and insensitive
- more concerned with justice and fairness than interpersonal considerations
- outwardly cold and unfeeling
- strategic
- value my ability to think logically and clearly (could be 5ish)
- see most emotional displays as "sentimental" and therefore "weak"
- avoid expressing feelings due to vulnerability/inherent aversion to doing so
- and I could probably list all the criteria of "Thinking"

It was really hard for me to accept I was more likely a "Feeler". I'm "obviously" a Thinker, lol.

So, that may be one reason there's a dearth of Feeling 8s--simple mistyping! I know that ExFP 8s do exist, and I've heard reports of INFJ 8s as well.

I'd just like to point out that a great many "INFJ's" are actually ENFJ's who think they're introverts because they stay indoors a lot. In my increasing understanding of actual INFJ's, I'm starting to see 8 as an impossibility. One of the very things that make INFJs what they are is the fact that they look like a weak victim who needs protection. This victim appearance is what drives their ESTP duals to feel compassion. However, the "fear of being harmed" is in line with INFJ behavior. But I haven't met one who I'm convinced wasn't actually an ENFJ.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
To apply Big Five dimensions, feelers correlate to agreeableness where thinkers correlate to egocentricity.

This is why I question feeler 8s. They strike me more as CP sixes or threes.

I feel this way too. Part of being an 8 is learning to ignore your own emotions and feel no pain. It doesn't really compute with being a feeler, unless you take the socionics ignoring function into account, which allows for ESFJ and ENFJ to be 8's as well (Fi ignoring). I know an ESFJ who I suspect is either 8w7 or CP6, but the guy is really aggressive. He introduced himself to me by tickling me shortly after making eye contact. :eeep: He also says things that hint E6 to me, like for example, there was a cargo net hanging above a large drop in my gym. He looks at it, looks down, then just jumps on the cargo net and swings around and almost kicks me in the face on the way back. He then hands me the cargo net and says "Its time to face your fears Jay." I laugh because I don't do that shit. When I'm scared of something I just don't do it, lmao.

Though I'm pretty certain Bruce Campbell (and my uncle who is nearly identical) is an ESFJ 8w7. My uncle got angry at my family because they didn't support me after I left the navy, so he went to each one of my parents and grandparents, and shouted at them. haha.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
many 8s are intelligent and strategic thinkers, but a read of any decent 8 description should make clear that 8 is not a fundamentally rational type, but an instinctual, temperamental and "go with what feels right" type. yes, you have you NTJ 8 "take over the world" types (usually 5 fixed and Sp dom), but these are the exception, not the rule.

if anything, the type that comes to my mind when reading most 8 descriptions is ESFP. when I think Thinking types, I think more along the lines of 1, 5 and 6w5

I think that it's because Type 8 is insensitive, when it's entranced. They just focuse on their own interest and pleasure and their own strength and power without taking other people's feelings into account. In stressful situations they disintegrate in 5 and become even more insensitive and cerebral, while their feeling side is what appears when they integrate in 2, and it's not their usual, basic way of life.

So it's correlated with T.

Of course, Fi and Fe judgements can furnish justifications for such behavior, and so the 8 can be an F, but it may be less usual, and be the typical Thinkers's way to use feeling functions.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd just like to point out that a great many "INFJ's" are actually ENFJ's who think they're introverts because they stay indoors a lot. In my increasing understanding of actual INFJ's, I'm starting to see 8 as an impossibility. One of the very things that make INFJs what they are is the fact that they look like a weak victim who needs protection. This victim appearance is what drives their ESTP duals to feel compassion. However, the "fear of being harmed" is in line with INFJ behavior. But I haven't met one who I'm convinced wasn't actually an ENFJ.

Al Pacino and Alejandro Jodorowsky are 8s, and they are probably INFJs.

Anyway, I don't think INFJs look like victim at all! Many of them look like this, of course. But some of them release something tough, strong, that's thoses who are in connection with their ESTP shadow of course.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
hmm, jodorowsky seems like an INFP to me, and usually "INFP 8's" are E1's. And I suspect al pacino is ENFJ 3. I know a guy who's mannerisms and behaviors are just like him in real life. huge one upper.

The only intimidating INFJ I can think of would be an E5, or an E4. For example, my avatar. And even then, that's a posed picture.

edit: let me clarify.

Enneagram 8 and socionics IEI (NiFe) is impossible.