• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 8] Why is 8 correlated with Thinking types?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
To apply Big Five dimensions, feelers correlate to agreeableness where thinkers correlate to egocentricity.

This is why I question feeler 8s. They strike me more as CP sixes or threes.

What is "peace at any cost?"

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd just like to point out that a great many "INFJ's" are actually ENFJ's who think they're introverts because they stay indoors a lot. In my increasing understanding of actual INFJ's, I'm starting to see 8 as an impossibility. One of the very things that make INFJs what they are is the fact that they look like a weak victim who needs protection. This victim appearance is what drives their ESTP duals to feel compassion. However, the "fear of being harmed" is in line with INFJ behavior. But I haven't met one who I'm convinced wasn't actually an ENFJ.

What makes you convinced they're ENFJs? Care to elaborate?

Actually, all it takes to be an INFJ is Ni+Fe. I'm not sure the "weak victims" comparison is accurate--I know one heavily 8-fixed 4 INFJ who's resisted being a weak victim all her life and was similarly put off by all the "touchy-feely, hypersensitive" descriptions of that type. Some people do act counter to MBTI type.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To apply Big Five dimensions, feelers correlate to agreeableness where thinkers correlate to egocentricity.
I can see this ringing true for FJs, but not for FPs. Introverted Feeling is very egocentric (albeit seldom expressed with the bravado of, say, an egotistical Se dom) and doesn't consider many people in the equation when making a decision.

This is why I question feeler 8s. They strike me more as CP sixes or threes.
most 8s in general strike me as mistyped cp6s or 7s, regardless of MBTI type (been there myself lol)
[MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION]
I would expound upon this and say that many people who are indeed feelers mistake themselves as thinkers for protective measures like this one.
yeah.
Feeling does not equal warm, cuddly, people oriented and social. many Feelers are much more guarded and logical (albeit their logic is more subjective/intuitive most of the time)

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
there isn't one, but if you're interested in variants, this thread might be a good place to start
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/enneagram/62941-elfboy-s-instinctual-variant-test.html

thank you! After I sent that, I scoured and found one http://enneagramquiz.com/quiz.html
That's how I came up with the numbers in my signature. I do think they describe me.
As for the variants- those I've always known.
Thanks much! And I will read through the thread you posted!

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
What makes you convinced they're ENFJs? Care to elaborate?

Actually, all it takes to be an INFJ is Ni+Fe. I'm not sure the "weak victims" comparison is accurate--I know one heavily 8-fixed 4 INFJ who's resisted being a weak victim all her life and was similarly put off by all the "touchy-feely, hypersensitive" descriptions of that type. Some people do act counter to MBTI type.

I clarified myself when I said its impossible to be IEI and E8 as opposed to INFJ and 8. But there's no use convincing people that socionics and mbti are the same thing. It takes experience before you start to see the correlations.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Though, thinking and reflecting on it. I think this thread, and the attempt to meld together T/F from MBTI and the motivation connections of Enneagram really does a service exposing the stereotypes and how easily people fall prey to them.

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I clarified myself when I said its impossible to be IEI and E8 as opposed to INFJ and 8. But there's no use convincing people that socionics and mbti are the same thing. It takes experience before you start to see the correlations.

Yes, I am not convinced they are the same myself.

But that still doesn't explain why you see those 8s as ENFJ. I'm just wondering what you observed or learned that convinced you they were Fe-doms as opposed to Ni-doms.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Yes, I am not convinced they are the same myself.

But that still doesn't explain why you see those 8s as ENFJ. I'm just wondering what you observed or learned that convinced you they were Fe-doms as opposed to Ni-doms.

in order to be an Fe dom, you need to have Fi ignoring. The ability to steamroll and ignore any subjective emotional ethics and see only the emotions that are in front of you. (ask any XXTP how ESTJ's treat them and you'll understand how the ignoring function works).

Meanwhile, Fe auxillary types will have Fi demonstrative, which means they openly demonstrate a soft and vulnerable Fi, all the while mocking it. ENFJ's tend to have a much more haughty, serious, sometimes venemous appearance, compared to INFJ's who are much more openly vulnerable in a superficial kind of way. Their wall has more to do with keeping things superficial with people and not letting anyone into their core.

here's a quote from an article about socionics SeTi (SLE) and NiFe (IEI) duality:
It may seem that this dyad is distinguished by sadomasochistic tendencies. In actuality, the soft, soulful and sentimental TE (IEI) has a relaxing effect on FL (SLE) and, to a certain extent, suppresses his aggressive tendencies. In the case of a quarrel, the emotional reaction of TE (IEI) can be so original and unpredictable, that it forces his dual, who poorly orients in feelings, to soften and seek compromise. The image of a "victim" has a stronger effect on FL (SLE) than an equal and invincible enemy, who does not evoke compassion.

Basically, SeTi's are inherently aggressive and destroy all of their sex partners, and thus ordinarily search for a partner who will not break. Someone who is strong willed and indestructible, when in actuality the SeTi needs to search for someone who is the complete opposite of that, NiFe, someone who already looks like a victim and already looks like he/she will break under pressure, and thus forces the SeTi to feel compassion.

What defines INFJ's is a facade of weakness fronting a core of strength. (the same actually applies to INTJ's).

FeNi's on the other hand, usually put up a facade of strength, prestige, success, etc.

If I judged introversion/extroversion by the number of times I went outside to play with friends, I'd be an ISTP 8w7, but my primary function is external to myself, and I employ thinkers to do my thinking for me. The same concept applies to FeNi. Extroversion is marked by a primary lifestyle external to oneself, while introversion is marked by a more self centered approach to life, remaining internal.

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One of the key factors that makes an 8 what it is, is the ability to ignore its own pain, either through denial or by raising the cognitive threshold for physical pain.

If we look at socionics, any function placement that has to do with emotion or physical sensation, is either ignored, or actively avoided. By this logic, the most common enneagram 8's will be (according to a theory I just now pulled out of my ass):

ENTP (Fi vulnerable)
ESTP (Fi Vulnerable Si Ignoring)
ENTJ (Si vulnerable)
ENFJ (Si Vulnerable, Fi ignoring)
ESFJ (Fi ignoring)
ISTJ (Fe vulnerable, Se ignoring)
INTJ (Fe vulnerable)
ISFJ (yes I've met some beastly ISFJ's, Se ignoring).

edit: then again... e8's fear being controlled. which could make Ti vulnerable an option as well, which opens up ESFP and ENFP

Cool beans. So, what do you think an Fi-dom 8-fixed 4 would be like according to your models?

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Cool beans. So, what do you think an Fi-dom 8-fixed 4 would be like according to your models?

Well, I don't have an answer to that, but I could pull something highly likely out of my ass.

An E4 with an 8 fix would probably be rather crude and enjoy trash talking other people compared to most other 4's.

You wouldn't happen to be a socionics IEI would you?

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, I don't have an answer to that, but I could pull something highly likely out of my ass.

An E4 with an 8 fix would probably be rather crude and enjoy trash talking other people compared to most other 4's.

You wouldn't happen to be a socionics IEI would you?
I'm just curious what you'd come up with, since you seem to have built a model of the systems in your mind. If you could pull something out of your ass, that's fine too, since I'm convinced that most of us do that on these forums anyway.

As to my socionics, I'm not quite sure...I've been suggested as IEI, SLE, and ILI. According to MBTI, though, I'm somewhere on the Ne/Si axis, for sure. If you'd like to make a suggestion at any time, I will gladly hear you out.

B

brainheart

[MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION]

I've been wondering this myself. 8 seems very Fi-ish--screw what society says, do it your own way. Justice. War vs Peace.

When I start talking about how I experience my 8-fix, others have told me it really sounds "more Fi"--Justice. War vs Peace. Screw society. Lol.

It's possible that many 8s mistype as Thinkers, for one thing. I personally type strongly on Sensing/Thinking, and I'm 99% sure it's the 8-fix that influences that.

I am capable of being--
- blunt and insensitive
- more concerned with justice and fairness than interpersonal considerations
- outwardly cold and unfeeling
- strategic
- value my ability to think logically and clearly (could be 5ish)
- see most emotional displays as "sentimental" and therefore "weak"
- avoid expressing feelings due to vulnerability/inherent aversion to doing so
- and I could probably list all the criteria of "Thinking"

It was really hard for me to accept I was more likely a "Feeler". I'm "obviously" a Thinker, lol.

So, that may be one reason there's a dearth of Feeling 8s--simple mistyping! I know that ExFP 8s do exist, and I've heard reports of INFJ 8s as well.

That's Fi + sexual four encased in a five shell. We can be some hard-assed mofos at times. That's where Naranjo's whole sexual four 'more eight than eight' comment comes from.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
I'm an 8-fixed 4, mistyped at 8 for a long time. What do you want to know?

I'm not a Fi-dom, but I have strong Fi... ENFP

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm an 8-fixed 4, mistyped at 8 for a long time. What do you want to know?

I'm not a Fi-dom, but I have strong Fi... ENFP

no worries, animal. We've talked about this one before :)

actually, my question was directed at DJ--I was interested in hearing his thoughts on this. But, feel free to tell the world about your 4 difficulties--more people should hear this.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
no worries, animal. We've talked about this one before :)

actually, my question was directed at DJ--I was interested in hearing his thoughts on this. But, feel free to tell the world about your 4 difficulties--more people should hear this.
I'm not sure I'd call it 'difficulties' - it's a defense pattern like any other. :) But, my life has been full of difficulties. I don't even know where to begin. I've had the kind of life where I lost everything through no fault of my own, fought for my life and survived, was driven to the bottom of the darkest parts of my psyche, got a taste of what it feels like to live for many years with absolutely nothing to lose and thus no fear, no shame and no sense of regret until I started building myself back up again. When asked about my personal difficulties, I could easily write a novel.

As long as I feel like a human, an animal, and a symbol at once, I feel alive. I am being true to myself. Every shower is so carnal it's spiritual; every motion connects my body with the cosmos; I am true to my instincts. I embrace my tumultuous emotions; they are fuel for my work and my purpose. My body is my canvas, my clothes are my paintbrush. Everything I own, wear, and do is an expression of self. I am a vessel through which music, art, stories and messages emerge.

This is always the case, regardless of my state of health. But just being me isn't enough. I need to stand for something, to express something; my battle against the odds, my rise from the ashes. Even my dedication to expression in and of itself is something to stand for. Having something to express, a passion and a purpose which means something to me, gives me a sense that I am living rather than surviving. But regardless of the shape or meaning of my expression, strength comes from only one source: integrity. As long as I have my integrity I'm living; without it I am surviving. The loss of integrity is the only loss that is truly devastating. As long as my expression, my purpose, my existence, my friendships, and my choices are connected to my sense of integrity, I am whole. To me, integrity is, simply, being true to myself. The world can take my assets... my health, my work, my money, my hair, my friends... but if it wants to take my passion and integrity, it will have to kill me.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
[MENTION=17911]Animal[/MENTION]

you write like an sx/so. ever considered that as your instinctual variant?

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
[MENTION=17911]Animal[/MENTION]

you write like an sx/so. ever considered that as your instinctual variant?

Interesting! I have considered it actually, though there are strong arguments throughout my life for Sp... for instance, saving up lots of money and extreme career-focus even at a young age, being very frugal with money, extremely self-preservational when it comes to health, and a clear conflict in romantic relationships.. because I chase after then and then retract, wanting time to myself. But, I'm interested in your perspective because in fact I have considered the possibility. Can you elaborate?

I should mention I relate quite strongly to Naranjo's SP-4, to the point where (you will laugh) I actually considered it could be my first variant. The idea of martyrdom and 'silent suffering' is a theme throughout my life.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Interesting! I have considered it actually, though there are strong arguments throughout my life for Sp... for instance, saving up lots of money and extreme career-focus even at a young age, being very frugal with money, extremely self-preservational when it comes to health, and a clear conflict in romantic relationships.. because I chase after then and then retract, wanting time to myself. But, I'm interested in your perspective because in fact I have considered the possibility. Can you elaborate?

I should mention I relate quite strongly to Naranjo's SP-4, to the point where (you will laugh) I actually considered it could be my first variant. The idea of martyrdom and 'silent suffering' is a theme throughout my life.

I also save up lots of money. I was saving up for a car since I was 12, then bought my car when I was 20. I'm extremely frugal as well. I attribute these traits to being a socionics "yielding" dichotomy moreso than enneagram Sp. Don't touch my food, don't touch my things, don't touch my money.

As I engage in these things I also tend to ignore when I'm hungry, I go to the bathroom at the absolute last possible minute, and I tend to hide the fact that I'm in pain at all and don't ask for help until after I gave myself a slip disk from lifting something heavy. Not because I'm stubborn and prideful, but because I legitimately think I can do it myself, and asking for help just doesn't even occur to me.

I'm also a capricorn and my most prominent trait in the big 5 was stability. So its hard to understand why I'm an Sx/So at all, considering Sp is the most grounded instinct. Though many of the exhibitionistic tendencies within Sx/So still remain, although they tend to bug some people so I've had to mute them. Its said that the instinct merely AMPLIFIES traits of your enneagram, so in this case, my "everyone look at me" is pretty high, along with my lust for intensity, which I often have to ignore altogether because it drives me nuts sometimes. Also, I don't personally enjoy much of anything anymore. up until I was about 15 I was all about the self driven independent stimulation seeking. But over time I've learned that seeing others be happy or seeing others fall in love with my visions, are the most rewarding aspects of my life.

I'm not the best when it comes to instincts but I do relate to sx/so personalities more than sx/sp. My analogy for identifying the two is akin to angels vs demons. the sx/so's are aloft in the clouds and the sx/sp's are writhing in the lake of fire.