• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 6] Being present, engaging, etc.

Evil Otter

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
When do you value honesty? Sounds like it's not honesty nor deception you really value, but justice.

After writing some stuff down and just thinking about it, I definitely hold justice in high regard but even more than that I value logic/rationality which I think is the foundation of justice. The more I've thought about this I've realized that generally when I get into a heated debate it's because I view the person with whom I'm having the discussion as being irrational. Similarly when justice is being violated, I view the offender(s) as being irrational, or else they would know better. This is probably why I got my B.S. in philosophy.

But despite the value I place in logic, it doesn't seem like it would equate to the passion that an artist, athlete, or a scientist possesses for his/her particular form or field. And maybe the key to this is that these individuals at least feel like they have something to add to the conversation, whether that be a new piece, new record, or new discovery. While these individuals may not be fully engaged 100% of the time (an unrealistic goal in my opinion), they are completely emotionally, physically, and mentally engaged when it comes to their passion; when they are in their element. That's what I envy, the complete and utter devotion that these men and women possess for their passions and the enjoyment that they receive from these passions in turn.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
After writing some stuff down and just thinking about it, I definitely hold justice in high regard but even more than that I value logic/rationality which I think is the foundation of justice. The more I've thought about this I've realized that generally when I get into a heated debate it's because I view the person with whom I'm having the discussion as being irrational. Similarly when justice is being violated, I view the offender(s) as being irrational, or else they would know better. This is probably why I got my B.S. in philosophy.

That's definitely a good start. Now... what other values / principles, besides reason, do you hold in high regard? What makes you unique isn't just how you use reason, but how you combine reason with the other things you find important and are skilled at.

Here's a list of Benjamin Franklin's (ENTP, I strongly suspect) 13 virtues if you desire some inspiration, although don't limit yourself to just this list:
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2008/06/01/the-virtuous-life-wrap-up/

But despite the value I place in logic, it doesn't seem like it would equate to the passion that an artist, athlete, or a scientist possesses for his/her particular form or field. And maybe the key to this is that these individuals at least feel like they have something to add to the conversation, whether that be a new piece, new record, or new discovery. While these individuals may not be fully engaged 100% of the time (an unrealistic goal in my opinion), they are completely emotionally, physically, and mentally engaged when it comes to their passion; when they are in their element. That's what I envy, the complete and utter devotion that these men and women possess for their passions and the enjoyment that they receive from these passions in turn.

The state of physical, emotional and mental passion you are referring to is commonly referred to as "flow". (Clicky: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)) You are absolutely right; flow can't be maintained indefinitely. But after reading your post, I 100% believe it's a state you are capable of achieving. (I don't think you'd recognize and envy others who reach such a state if it wasn't inherently part of your mental makeup. You can learn a lot about yourself by what you notice in others.)

If a mathematician can engage in flow and passion while solving a challenging proof, surely you can do something similar with reason. The hard part is figuring out what part of the "conversation" you wish to contribute to. That, for a 9, can be challenging, especially when you spend more time focusing on what others are saying instead of finding your own voice first.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
that unhealthy 9 doesn't look good.