• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 6] Being present, engaging, etc.

Evil Otter

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Enneagram institute has a couple of pointers for Type 9 growth but they all seem to either boil down to just common sense (like exercise is good) or this idea that we as 9's just blend into everything rather than being assertive. The following point is one that seems to summarize this notion:

"Exert yourself. Force yourself to pay attention to what is going on. Do not drift off or tune out people, or daydream. Work on focusing your attention to become an active participant in the world around you. Try to become more mentally and emotionally engaged."

My response to this was, "Great! And how exactly am I suppose to do that?" The problems I see are that 1) I really don't have a preference and therefore have nothing to exert, 2) I've gotten to the point where I can daydream and still maintain a simple conversation, 3) "what is going on" is something completely idiotic (like a morale meeting) and my preference is to "tune out", and/or 4) even if I am fully aware of my emotions, the expression of my emotions, on whichever side of the spectrum they fall, always seems to come across as being excessive and therefore, generally not well received giving me further cause to contain them or ignore them out of existence.

So my question is: Has anyone figured out how to actually be more engaged, particularly emotionally, without seeming like you just opened the flood gates?

Having not actually figured it out yet, it seems like this is very much connected with discovering one's passion(s). Something that also seems to be a mystery (at least for me, maybe for all type 9's). If what you are passionate about is what you are most emotionally invested in, then how can a person that buries these emotion be passionate about anything? This is all very frustrating.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I dunno. I'm generally pretty chill, but I'm passionate about social justice and I engage when it comes to that. As I've gotten older, I've gotten a bit more assertive, especially when someone is 'damaging my calm.' Which is kinda funny, because it's usually someone attempting to make me engage with them when I don't want to that annoys me enough to be confrontational. I can come out of my natural pleasant haze to tell them to go die in a fire and go back to my natural pleasant haze as soon as I calm down again.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
"Exert yourself. Force yourself to pay attention to what is going on. Do not drift off or tune out people, or daydream. Work on focusing your attention to become an active participant in the world around you. Try to become more mentally and emotionally engaged."

Interesting. I used to zone out like that constantly. Usually cuz I was bored as fack. I heard 8's do the same thing.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

My response to this was, "Great! And how exactly am I suppose to do that?" The problems I see are that 1) I really don't have a preference and therefore have nothing to exert, 2) I've gotten to the point where I can daydream and still maintain a simple conversation, 3) "what is going on" is something completely idiotic (like a morale meeting) and my preference is to "tune out", and/or 4) even if I am fully aware of my emotions, the expression of my emotions, on whichever side of the spectrum they fall, always seems to come across as being excessive and therefore, generally not well received giving me further cause to contain them or ignore them out of existence.

So my question is: Has anyone figured out how to actually be more engaged, particularly emotionally, without seeming like you just opened the flood gates?

Having not actually figured it out yet, it seems like this is very much connected with discovering one's passion(s). Something that also seems to be a mystery (at least for me, maybe for all type 9's). If what you are passionate about is what you are most emotionally invested in, then how can a person that buries these emotion be passionate about anything? This is all very frustrating.

You are asking some great questions, and unfortunately, the answers are rarely easy for us 9s. Expect to put in some time to figure this out... There's a reason why "Full-engagement" sits at the very top of the health levels of a 9!

There's a book called the "Power of Full Engagement" that offers a lot of ideas behind what exactly goes into being fully engaged. One point to consider is that we need to deliberately and consciously choose to engage, and then choose to disengage so we can recover. Think of it like going to the gym... You work out, but then you need to rest and recover afterward. The recovery is as important as the workout, and without recovery, you'll burn yourself out quickly. So that's one secret: Don't strive to always be engaged. Pick times to choose to be engaged, and then deliberately disengage so you can recover.

Also, you are on to something with engagement being related to "discovering our passion", although "passion" is a bit nebulous, which I think leads to some of your frustration. It's easier to start off with picking values that are important to you. Things like courage, integrity, health, industry, humility, order, curiosity, strength, compassion, decisiveness, empathy, balance, creativity, expression, etc. (That's far from an all inclusive list, and yours may include few, if any, of those.) What are 5 or so values that drive you? Values are raw ingredients for passions.

Values in action then become virtues. We inherently will engage more when we are acting on a value. (See cafe's example about being engaged when she's involved in her passion of social justice.) A virtuous life tends to be a passionate one, because we are living in accordance to what is most important to us.

Finally, if I'm honest, I found emotion to be of little use in the beginning when I started figuring this out for myself. However, the deeper I get, the more useful it is becoming, especially as feedback as to whether I'm getting "warmer" or "colder".

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You are asking some great questions, and unfortunately, the answers are rarely easy for us 9s. Expect to put in some time to figure this out... There's a reason why "Full-engagement" sits at the very top of the health levels of a 9!

There's a book called the "Power of Full Engagement" that offers a lot of ideas behind what exactly goes into being fully engaged. One point to consider is that we need to deliberately and consciously choose to engage, and then choose to disengage so we can recover. Think of it like going to the gym... You work out, but then you need to rest and recover afterward. The recovery is as important as the workout, and without recovery, you'll burn yourself out quickly. So that's one secret: Don't strive to always be engaged. Pick times to choose to be engaged, and then deliberately disengage so you can recover.

Also, you are on to something with engagement being related to "discovering our passion", although "passion" is a bit nebulous, which I think leads to some of your frustration. It's easier to start off with picking values that are important to you. Things like courage, integrity, health, industry, humility, order, curiosity, strength, compassion, decisiveness, empathy, balance, creativity, expression, etc. (That's far from an all inclusive list, and yours may include few, if any, of those.) What are 5 or so values that drive you? Values are raw ingredients for passions.

Values in action then become virtues. We inherently will engage more when we are acting on a value. (See cafe's example about being engaged when she's involved in her passion of social justice.) A virtuous life tends to be a passionate one, because we are living in accordance to what is most important to us.

Finally, if I'm honest, I found emotion to be of little use in the beginning when I started figuring this out for myself. However, the deeper I get, the more useful it is becoming, especially as feedback as to whether I'm getting "warmer" or "colder".

This an amazing post :shock:

You give awesome advice! :)

I'll have talk to my E 9 friends about some of these points

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This an amazing post :shock:

You give awesome advice! :)

I'll have talk to my E 9 friends about some of these points

Thanks. And good luck with your friends! Us E9s can be very stubborn, in our own peacefully accommodating kind of way. :D

gromit

likes this
Similar to what [MENTION=4722]Udog[/MENTION] was saying about finding your passions... at one point earlier in my life I realized I was being particularly wishy-washy and feeling kind of dull in general, so I just decided I needed to be more determined. If there was something I enjoyed doing, I would make sure to pursue it more, follow that "trail" so to speak. If I was in a group setting with at least one other person and we were making a decision, if I had an opinion, even if it was only a slightly meh opinion, I would be sure to say how I felt. It was weird, at first, being like "I WANT THE SOUR CREAM AND ONION POTATO CHIPS!!!" It felt like making a big deal out of nothing, but doing it enough it makes you feel ok to be saying things like "my feelings are hurt" or whatever.

I think the beauty and weakness of 9 is that we are so flexible and adaptable to so many different circumstances. But when it comes time, we have to be able to say YES or NO to what is important.

"what is going on" is something completely idiotic (like a morale meeting) and my preference is to "tune out"

Pretty sure this is not unique to e9s :alttongue:

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would be sure to say how I felt. It was weird, at first, being like "I WANT THE SOUR CREAM AND ONION POTATO CHIPS!!!"

LOL, that's exactly what it was like at first, too!

But seriously, nobody betta mess with my sour cream and onion potato chips.

I think it's a copout to say you don't really have preferences. I used to say this all the time and I really did believe it was true but the fact is, I do have my own preferences even for minor things, just like other people ... it's just that I also have an overwhelmingly strong preference for not making decisions or wanting to let other people have their way because it makes them happy. When I get my way, sure, I'm happy, but I also have all these niggling doubts that I'm imposing my preferences on other people and that makes it difficult to enjoy.

Like gromit said, it's useful to start asserting those minor preferences though ... if only because it will allow you to state preferences you do actually feel strongly about clearly instead of repressing them out of habit and feeling resentful about it.

As for the "in the moment" stuff, I feel like I'm already pretty in the moment. I'm attuned to beauty and aesthetics in my environment and I get a lot of satisfaction out of just the small constant rhythms of everyday life. I think it's more a matter of learning to focus on the really important stuff that might make you uncomfortable as opposed to the trivialities that are comforting but not really that important. I have a lot of just really instinctive mental maps in my head with areas labeled "do not touch" which I don't think about ... but they're worth resolving even if they do temporarily shatter my tranquility. So yeah.

Anyway, the sour cream and onion chips are good but I think I like the garden tomato and basil ones even more though. Can we have those too? :puppy_dog_eyes:

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Try using the ability to blend in towards sympathizing with yourself. For example, wiggling your toes and how simple, silly, and fun that can be. Or breathing in a good aroma and how much you enjoy that. Then hold that in one hand, and see the things outside of yourself and hold them in the same regard. Doing so doubles your pleasure.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anyway, the sour cream and onion chips are good but I think I like the garden tomato and basil ones even more though. Can we have those too? :puppy_dog_eyes:

I didn't even know they were a thing! Man, potato chip technology has come a long way...

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Loving this thread! Thanks for all of your wise words.

gromit

likes this

Nope. (what are you gonna say to that, NINE?)

I didn't even know they were a thing! Man, potato chip technology has come a long way...

I know, me neither. senza, those actually sound pretty great to me :)

Evil Otter

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Try using the ability to blend in towards sympathizing with yourself. For example, wiggling your toes and how simple, silly, and fun that can be. Or breathing in a good aroma and how much you enjoy that. Then hold that in one hand, and see the things outside of yourself and hold them in the same regard. Doing so doubles your pleasure.

I'm not sure what this means.

I'm going to try this, but I wonder if these are meant to be universal values or simply preferential values. For instance I value honesty but also value deception when used to uphold justice.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm going to try this, but I wonder if these are meant to be universal values or simply preferential values. For instance I value honesty but also value deception when used to uphold justice.

When do you value honesty? Sounds like it's not honesty nor deception you really value, but justice.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In short, I use my ability to empathize on myself so that I'm acutely aware of my own body and the sensations I feel. Once that is done, I engage others. The results are spellbinding.

gromit

likes this
In short, I use my ability to empathize on myself so that I'm acutely aware of my own body and the sensations I feel. Once that is done, I engage others. The results are spellbinding.

Put on own life mask before assisting others?