• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 9] Slothless-ness

A

Anew Leaf

This is spot on. I came to this realization about 2-2.5 years ago, when I put a chunk of my self-help books on my bed and took a picture of them all.

I won't say that I didn't change anything, but my focus on self-help and awareness was a distraction from actually making changes.

LOL... I have this belief that if I possess a tome of knowledge whether it be through some gigantic encyclopedic massive creation that bends light and gravity because its that massive or a magazine pamphlet... that somehow just possessing this item near me means that I am making changes.

A

Anew Leaf

This is spot on. I came to this realization about 2-2.5 years ago, when I put a chunk of my self-help books on my bed and took a picture of them all.

I won't say that I didn't change anything, but my focus on self-help and awareness was a distraction from actually making changes.

LOL... I have this belief that if I possess a tome of knowledge whether it be through some gigantic encyclopedic massive creation that bends light and gravity because its that massive or a magazine pamphlet... that somehow just possessing this item near me means that I am making changes.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

It's kind of like buying an encyclopedia set and then saying you know the ways of the world.

Knowledge... knowledge is easy. Applied knowledge... That's hard.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks for this, an interesting read:

Nine: Hyperactivity
The passion of Nines is sloth and the counterpassion is a caricature of the virtue of activity. Nines are then hyperactive, perpetually agitated and overloaded with tasks. Although they often produce quantities of work effectively, idleness is still present: these activities are practical but have the effect that the more Nines do, the more they forget themselves. This counterpassion is one of the first we observed, and we interpreted it at the time that these Nines use work and activities as a means of narcotisation (their principal defense mechanism).
An even more subtle form of Nine's counterpassion is a hyperactive pursuit personal development. Such Nines devour books, workshops, therapists, and gurus. They profess to thirst after self-knowledge; however, they end up spinning their wheels, changing nothing.​

This is very interesting. I know a 9w8 that does this. He's very introspective and has an excellent understanding of what he need to do but does very little in the way of consistently putting it into practice. It's almost like he gets fired up but then slowly smolders back out over time...a cycle of this. It's too bad...he'd be pretty freaking formidable if he could keep his fire lit.

Dannik

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
I find my slothfulness re-enforcing my core beliefs, -
I have the habit of carefully selecting only the information which re-enforces what i already believe, and forget the the rest........

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's kind of like buying an encyclopedia set and then saying you know the ways of the world.

Knowledge... knowledge is easy. Applied knowledge... That's hard.

Couldn't agree more with this statement :)

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
[MENTION=17134]PimpinMcBoltage[/MENTION]

I think I agree with your statement that there can be nines who don't truly invest in friends. I know one nine (but I think she is SP) who finds it intrusive that someone would call her a BFF or whatever. It's not that she isn't appreciative of it... but that puts too much pressure on her. I sort of feel the same even though I am not a nine (at least not core).