• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 5] When down in the dumps, do you retreat entirely inside your head?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've noticed when I feel shitty, I tend to really withdraw into my head. I ignore my physical environment, and become even more of a slob then I am already. I lose my appetite. I keep everything outside my head as far away as possible. Am I alone with this?
Same here, except I don't so much become a slob as just super spacey. I'm mostly there right now.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can identify with the not eating part. Isolate myself, moping, dragging my feet. Sleeping in the shower, sleeping for hours in the bed. Disconnect from the world. I guess with my Te I express it to myself in private and figure things out through that way.

idkman24

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It depends on what kind of "down" I am. If, say, I get a letter of denial from a company I interviewed for and wanted to work for, I'd get down and, unfortunately, booze is my release.

If I'm "down" on life in general, I try to sleep through it. I also purchased some St. John's Wort that I take the powder out of the capsules and make tea. It helps quite a lot.

CubeWuerfel

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Yes, and I'll spend too much time in my head too and feel even more so disconnected to the physical world than I already am, when I was younger to the point that I experienced the world as threatening and/or overwhelming to my self. It's gotten much better though and I usually turn to others now to have them complete the information I have, which can temporarily make me feel safe again. When I feel bad I also often get the idea that I in fact don't understand anything, I start to doubt everything I once claimed to know and feel miserable and uncapable.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Most definately, but at the same time I get really creative and obsessed with my daydreams during this time as well. To the point I feel a strong desire to channel it into writing and forget about my life for a while. I do forget to eat, but I also turn to alcohol as well.

My head becomes a fortress of broodatude. Don’t bother knocking. It was way worse when I was younger. Friends and family tried but no one could really reach me and the more you tried, the further entrenched I made myself. I’m like that with most things though. Tell me I can’t do something and I’ll do it to spite you. Demand of me what I was willing to give and you’ll get nothing. I’m beyond stubborn at times.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Down in the dumps... Sadness, not stress, yes?

Yes, to a horrifyingly high degree. Usually, virtually no one knows what's going on, because I only 'reach out' if I need advice on fixing something.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My 5 husband is the same way. He just checks out when he's feeling down. It's hard to stand by and watch when all I want to do is help.

Out of curiosity, can you describe the kind of help you try provide?

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Yes, but I'm actually kinda this way anyway. I do not like to let people inside of my world. Humor is basically my only connection to anyone besides my closest intimates, and even there, it's relatively sparse or at least guarded/aloof in waves.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I’m not sure I actively seek to address the actual issues, or I use strategies to escape those issues. Either intent, the go-to is the same, I tend to return to my external, more physical and sensory enjoyments...but, in a detached way, internal way. I might go to my favorite spot on the beach and sit there alone, maybe watch other people on the beach, but I’m never really all that active in the environment I seek out. I can’t say for sure if I pursue these tried and true methods, which seemingly tap into a part of my mind that has the ability to calm and slow it for a minute, a sort of meditation, in order to sit with those feelings and to ponder them more...or is it just simply escape by means of temporarily wiping my slate clean until the next time my inner, emotional balance becomes disturbed? Maybe it’s both.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I already answered, and I always get spacey, but I also have a history of responding to emotional distress by not being able to eat and walking obsessively. It makes me lose like 20 pounds in a month sometimes. That usually happens to me during breakups. There is this intense nervous energy that forces me to keep moving my body and walking.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
When at my lowest points, I seek sanctuary in my own head and withdraw from the physical realm -- I generally want to be alone to sort through my emotions, mentally, without dusruption. I've been told by many people that when I'm in that sort of emotional space, while I'll most likely never verbalize what's bother me, my body language makes it very apparent how I'm feeling.

When in this mind state, a long drive by myself to nowhere in particular or a long walk, as fitting mood music plays in the background, feels quite cathartic.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't feel down in the dumps. More likely to get irritated or angry. (note I did get depressed once but that was an anomoly)

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When I'm down in the dumps, often I'll retreat inside of your head. Maybe that's just because I'm a 4w5 not a 5w4.

I tend to close myself off and introspect alone in an empty space, usually my room. I find it incredibly difficult to express my feelings with other people and prefer to keep everything to myself. In general, I find it very draining to be around other people for a certain length of time, but it is even more amplified than usual when I'm down in the dumps/stressed out. Thus my propensity for escapism, with daydreaming while listening to music and making art being my chosen form of it. However, this is something I often do anyway out of necessity. Also, depending on the severity of it, there is a pretty high likelihood that I'd become deeply engaged in maladaptive daydreaming, so I need to keep a watchful eye to make sure I don't completely lose myself in fantasy.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If situationally down in the dumps, I do just want to be on my own and will just want comforts, will want to crawl into bed earlier, sleep, and so on.

If existentially down in the dumps, which usually also includes stress, it's less about comforts and more just... things seem really bleak or I'm anxious about what to do or how to improve things. I'll still probably want to be on my own but also it's somewhat more of a 'familiar' land for me, so it's not as impactful as it was in my 20's. It just is - and it translates into my just being 'meh' and 'bleh' about life in general and the world, but I'll still go about stuff. I can interact or do things with close friends though and maybe talk about it a bit.

The issue though is that since when in these negative spaces I ideally just need to be on my own to ride them out, life does go on and it's the element of having to put on an act at work that completely drains me, gives me headaches, and I think is the reason irritability and anger and judgment come into the picture -- because if I'm feeling bleak inside but have to carry on with customers and try to put on a good face the energy it takes just depletes me and it all transfers into irritability with everyone I'm having to interact with. Forced extroversion? I become resentful and it's very taxing. So when I have to be around people and interact I then am as quiet as possible saying as little as possible since the forced engagement makes me really crabby on top of everything else. I think this is a lot of what goes on and why, at least.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I don't feel down in the dumps. More likely to get irritated or angry. (note I did get depressed once but that was an anomoly)

This. Other than some post-partum, I've never felt down in the dumps. Annoyed/irritated/angry - yes.