• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 4] need for ego boosts: Do all 4's take offense to this?

B

brainheart

The E4 I work with seems to take other peoples' actions personally.

Such as another person making the company look bad

Or

A supervisor needing an ego boost or taking credit where it's not deserved

Actually she takes that personally the most....when other people take credit for things they may not have done...

(I mean I guess that petty shit used to bother me when I had a soul

But after working retail...your soul disappears...)j/k lol

I never took it THAT seriously though...And I don't even notice it now...I've got way too much shit going on to care....

Why does she care so much?

This sounds more like stuff my social 6 husband gets upset about, not me.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This sounds more like stuff my social 6 husband gets upset about, not me.

hmm, I'm pretty sure she's a 4. She really indentifies with it...

I think she's also an ENFP...

But I never looked at her instincts. Maybe she's so dom.

Maybe that has something to do with it.

I have had a hard time typing her in general cause she's all over the place. She's definately go Ne going on.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
She cares about things such as a person throwing out a their title in a conversation.( as if it's an ego boost or something.) Like random people will call us up and they have to give their name....and she notices when people give their "title"....Where I don't even notice...and it offends her...she thinks they're trying to 1 up her or something when they say they are doctor so and so...or I have a PHD in blah blah blah....

I just barely notice that stuff.

Also an example of making the company look bad is that there is this guy named mike that is...well aggressive when dealing with customers. He trys very hard to get their money...well cause...their money means he's going to get money...So he is upfront and in their face trying to be aggressively friendly to get tips and shit.

She hates this. She thinks it looks bad on the company.

I have a much different perspective. I think he's just doing his job, and as long as the customers don't think he looks greedy then I don't care. We have some people that do that job that barely help the customers when they actually need it. ugh. I get more upset when someone is NOT doing their job than when someone is aggressively doing their job. :mad:

So really I would not like if Mike broke a rule....but in my eyes he hasn't really. He maybe could be a little bit more tactful...

But she thinks is looks bad for the whole company...and takes it like it's looking bad on her. She takes the other person's actions personally. And I would say that's indirect action.

I get annoyed when people break a rule...and even then...it's only when it's a rule I care about.

But she's upset cause she thinks he looks like a money grubbing A-hole

Thanks for clarifying that...again...I keep looking at the situations and I don't see that it's HER taking credit for someone else's work....nor is the person taking HER work for credit.

I just wasn't seeing why SHE was being inauthentic...but now I see that SHE doesn't necessarily have to be the person in the equation to be offended.

This is probably throwing a monkey-wrench in things, but these two specific behaviors are problems with manners, as I see it. It's bad manners to be obvious about money in any way, and it's bad manners to refer to yourself as Doctor when you're not a medical doctor (or some such; honestly I don't know the particulars, I have just heard people talk about it). The reason she's offended is that it's bad manners; it shows a breach of social protocols. That's why it would make the company look bad. You don't want people thinking you're a bunch of ill-bred, vulgar people.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When I was younger I used to get my feelings hurt a lot, but it was partly because I didn't know how to connect or function socially, so I was just shy and distant. For years I would just find some creative way to internalize any negativity I encountered. I always thought other people must be tragically hurt deep down or they would never act mean or arrogant. It was like there was still unresolved negativity even though I excused others, so I would allow my self-esteem to drop over anything. I think I actually did feel angry, was afraid that the moment I directed it outward I'd find out the person was in terrible suffering and so I just took it out on myself because I figured I could handle it or something like that. Definitely not a rational process. I was the youngest in a vulnerable family and so tended to feel protective towards them, and I think I resolved that imbalance in a child-like way that was just reactionary and not reasoned.

I will turn anger outward if it is to defend someone I care about, and can feel ferocious doing that, which also is likely related to protecting my family. Anyway, this is only peripherally related, but I identify as a "4", and the internalizing anything could be related to taking things "personally" although it is a different flavor of such a thing. I also have a way of taking nothing personally because I have this boundary of the unknown regarding why a person behaves as they do. There is always a reason, although their reason may not be compelling in a sympathetic way.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As an Fi-person, I approve of this message :nice:

Im less offended by the world nowadays, though in my darker moments, it still gets to me. Yes, it is tiring to live in a world that non-stop disappoints you. I think one of the curses of being a 4 is...well, you see the emotional side of things, as well as the creative potential the world holds. For the longest time, before I understood that not everyone experiences the world the way I do, I could not for the life of me fathom why people would hurt each other non-stop as it made me cringe even when I wasn't the perpetrator or victim. It's about the world 'feeling' wrong because the potential for beauty it holds gets non-stop ruined by everyone in it. And that beauty ideal is in essence a golden ratio for the planet.

It took realising other people had other priorities and often weren't aware of the emotional impact they are having on others, as well as understanding the effect overwhelming dark emotions can have on people that aren't even aware of that effect to understand that..well we are in a continual creation process. Non-stop editing. The first draft of a novel is often unreadable. But since people are non-stop being born and subjected to their 'first draft' of life, the world will forever be in an editing phase so to speak. And it is the process, the flaws, the things we learn along the way that make this world vibrant, dynamic and in its own way beautiful.

On top of that, I discovered that they in their own way are often doing their own editing and maximising of what they prioritise in the world, that my pov was just a piece of the puzzle.

I still strive to minimise the (senseless) suffering of any living being, to do as much editing as I can in this world while I'm here. But I'm no longer looking for it to be a perfect product - it never will be finished. It is perfect in the way that it is dynamic.
Beautifully spoken. This is in line with my philosophy.

As for myself, since I'm quoting someone and commenting in the thread, I care about these things somewhat, but I only get upset if it's an injustice to someone or people are being treated unfairly. And cruelty bothers me a lot. It's more like what fia said about everyone being in this together, so we need to be conscious of our actions and try to work toward something positive and productive.

And your friend's reactions do seem like those of an Fe dominant.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is it possible for someone to be offended at another person's bad manners and for that offense to arise from Fi and not Fe? If you internalize your culture's values to the point that they are your own, couldn't you still take offence at bad manners because it offends your personal values?