• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 7] 7's & positive thinking

S

Society

stolen from here:
Sevens also use positive thinking — or more accurately, abolish all negative thinking — to keep their demons at bay, which means they don't like anything that makes them feel sad, bad, or angry. Sevens are often willing to do whatever it takes to suppress, deny, or sublimate any problems or hurtful feelings by thinking about something else or keeping themselves frenetically busy until you let it drop.

is this sort of "think positive!" attitude an integral part of being a 7?
do you relate to that at all? have you always being like that?
are there any reasons that a particular 7 might not be?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i relate to that yes but it's not as tho we don't have moments of being pissed off and rant in our heads about it or to someone else if there's someone nearby

i don't know if it's a 7 thing...but i have a quick temper. i can be all raaaawwrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and then...deep breath...rationalize...intellectualize... empathize...spin positive...feel better.

tanstaafl28

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so
Lady X,

Are you a 7w8 by any chance? That would definitely explain the quick temper.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lady X,

no...i don't think so. i'm too 6 ish and not enough 8ish. haha

and really...i don't think anyone other than my bf or exhusband would ever see that quick temper...so i'm not sure it's as significant as it may have sounded.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=15291]Mane[/MENTION]
this sounds accurate. I initially didn't think I was positive outlook because I associated it with the kumbaya/"yay! let's all be a big happy family! :D" line of thinking more common in 2s and 9w1s. 7's positive outlook is more about framing and ignoring that which is inconvenient, mundane or painful (physically or psychologically)

Lady X,
both subtypes of 7 are fairly aggressive in pursuing their needs/desires and putting a stop to anything in the way of their freedom or well being.
in the case of [MENTION=5418]Lady X[/MENTION], it's likely Sx dom (most Sx doms are pretty fiery and intense) + the 9w8 fix (sudden flashes of intense anger which dissipates quickly)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
oh yeah the sxness...fiery..thats a better description maybe. i'm also a fire dragon rawwrrr haha

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=16595]tanstaafl28[/MENTION] theoretically you express both wings (6 and 8). even if one may be more expressed than the other... so it makes sense for her...

S

Society

7's positive outlook is more about framing and ignoring that which is inconvenient, mundane or painful (physically or psychologically)

hmm... somewhat problematic for my self-typing: i generally tend to face that head's on most of the time, delving into it, sometimes focusing on it, getting what i can form it. i can even have quite the emo side (though it's often strongly tempered with "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" approach).

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hmm... somewhat problematic for my self-typing: i generally tend to face that head's on most of the time, delving into it, sometimes focusing on it, getting what i can form it. i can even have quite the emo side (though it's often strongly tempered with "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" approach).

you don't vibe all the 7 to me but i'm not sure we've talked much either.

maybe 8w7?

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I definitely run away from bad feelings. I'll put on some loud music, fill my schedule up with fun stuff, zone out on the computer, or do whatever I need to fill myself up with something else. Even when I do get down or angry, I try to make that an 'experience' too. Maybe angry or sad music, a bath, burn incense, kind of wallowing in an optimally pleasurable environment.

[MENTION=5418]Lady X[/MENTION] What you said about flare-ups just in front of those closest to you is definitely true. I usually maintain my optimistic demeanor with others, but my poor husband has to listen to me getting fired up sometimes. In those cases, it's exactly how you described. I get it out, think about it, calm down and try to discuss it and understand my feelings, then try to look forward in a positive way.

S

Society

maybe 8w7?

i figured 8s conflict with that sentiment almost more-so than 7s since they try to create a facade (to convince themselves and others) that they don't have any vulnerabilities - with me emotional scars are almost an identity-forming element, it's part of why i identified with the 4 early on.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i figured 8s conflict with that sentiment almost more-so than 7s since they try to create a facade (to convince themselves and others) that they don't have any vulnerabilities - with me emotional scars are almost an identity-forming element, it's part of why i identified with the 4 early on.

oh i'm sorry. i was being a terrible listener. i'll go back and re read the op.

eta: what? i don't get what sentiment. you relate to the positive thinking that 7's do...or you don't? i'm confused.

S

Society

you relate to the positive thinking that 7's do...or you don't? i'm confused.
nope - no i don't.

eta: what? i don't get what sentiment.

the sentiment of delving into pain, fears, emotional scars, etc':
it conflicts with 7s because they supposedly pretend it isn't there and deny it's existence.
it conflicts with 8s because they try to generate a facade of invulnerability and that they can't get hurt in the first place.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
nope - no i don't.

the sentiment of delving into pain, fears, emotional scars, etc':
it conflicts with 7s because they supposedly pretend it isn't there and deny it's existence.
it conflicts with 8s because they try to generate a facade of invulnerability and that they can't get hurt in the first place.

oh right...sorry i'm slow today. yeah that doesn't sound very 7. sounds more 4 ish

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you don't vibe all the 7 to me but i'm not sure we've talked much either.
maybe 8w7?

[MENTION=15291]Mane[/MENTION] is too gentle/romantic to be 8w7. I could see him as a 9w8

S

Stansmith

I don't get it. So if a 7 is sentenced to prison he's just gonna be like "yay! This is like a 2 year summer camp"? Where is the line drawn? I don't think it's realistic to think somebody can be a positive thinker 24/7, and I doubt 7s act on all of their impulses.

I'm guessing an average 7 would think "hmm, that's probably not a good idea, but here's something else I can do!" Or "hmm, this person doesn't like me, I'll go find someone better"

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't get it. So if a 7 is sentenced to prison he's just gonna be like "yay! This is like a 2 year summer camp"? Where is the line drawn? I don't think it's realistic to think somebody can be a positive thinker 24/7, and I doubt 7s act on all of their impulses.

I'm guessing an average 7 would think "hmm, that's probably not a good idea, but here's something else I can do!" Or "hmm, this person doesn't like me, I'll go find someone better"

If I were sentences to 2 years in prison, I of course, would be very upset. I do see myself trying to make the most out of the experience though. Taking advantage of the free gym, learning some valuable skills, trying to get in with some unscary and hopefully cool people. Maybe taking time to reflect. If you can't change the situation, you might as well make the best of it.

S

Stansmith

If I were sentences to 2 years in prison, I of course, would be very upset. I do see myself trying to make the most out of the experience though. Taking advantage of the free gym, learning some valuable skills, trying to get in with some unscary and hopefully cool people. Maybe taking time to reflect. If you can't change the situation, you might as well make the best of it.

I could see a healthy 7 going 5-ish in prison, reading books in his cell and what not.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

the rosy colored outlook doesn't last forever. what it really is, in my opinion, is a delayed response of negative emotions. to be honest, if I were going to prison, for the first day or so I would be thinking "yay! this is just like all those prison documentaries I watched! :D ".....but reality does eventually sink in, and which point we become jaded and disintegrate to 1 as our perfect world falls in shambles before us. at this point, we become bitch, critical of others, narcissistic and aggressive, determined to get back what we "deserve" at all costs