• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Enneatypes] Spacing out and having no idea what I'm thinking

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I thought this was normal and everybody did it. I sometimes go wait, what? then move on. I mean often forget things mid sentence, i'll be talking trail off mid sentence because i totally forget the rest of my thought. But everyone does this.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It's a relatively universal thing, we pay less attention when doing repetitive tasks as the body goes into automatic. The way it relates to 9s specifically is that it's indicative of how we pay attention to most things, not fully paying attention to what we're doing, only half in the conversation, just enough so that other people don't realise we're not paying full attention, if you're not fully paying attention then the chances of forgetting are greater as it's not really sinking in.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's a relatively universal thing, we pay less attention when doing repetitive tasks as the body goes into automatic. The way it relates to 9s specifically is that it's indicative of how we pay attention to most things, not fully paying attention to what we're doing, only half in the conversation, just enough so that other people don't realise we're not paying full attention, if you're not fully paying attention then the chances of forgetting are greater as it's not really sinking in.

This is worth repeating. The example in the OP is pretty universal - it was called "highway hypnosis" during driving school and is actually one of the major dangers of driving on highways. Us 9s are special because we can tend to do that for most things, and our climb up the Enneagram health levels is learning how to be more present and engaged.

As Bruce Banner would say: That's my secret, I'm always spaced out.

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
I do this all the time, although my ennegram usually tests as 5w4 (but I've got 9w1 on occassion).

It can be dangerous when driving. I almost killed myself once when I approached a basic two lane highway from a minor paved road. My half daydreaming brain seemed to process the intersection as a 4 way stop so I pulled out in front of dangerously close oncoming traffic. A high speed near miss ensued. Just about crapped my pants when I snapped to full awareness of what was happening.

Stop signs on highways seem to snap me into full focus ever since. Funny how traumatic experiences stick with even the most absent minded persona.

G

Glycerine

It's called dissociation. Everyone has it to some degree ranging from daydreaming to dissociative identity disorder.

Aspie aspiring

Oh, man, is this true! There is this sense that I'm not truly connected to my body, that my mind and body are separate entities. And we disconnect a lot of the time, too. So a lot of stuff doesn't sink in, as you mentioned.

lemurgavel

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can always start to feel myself spacing out whenever I'm doing homework, and I usually have to take a break and do something else to get myself back on track. Usually just taking a little break is enough to get myself back into focus.

Concur_Withall

MBTI Type
NFJ
I often get told I'm "staring off into space".

Some people tell me to stop staring at them, when in actual fact I'm just staring into space (please don't hurt me).

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I often get told I'm "staring off into space".

Some people tell me to stop staring at them, when in actual fact I'm just staring into space (please don't hurt me).

:laugh: This has been such an issue for me growing up! I'm always staring at people when I go to La La Land and has caused many awkward situations.
Dude: Hey girl, I noticed you were staring.
Me: I was?
Dude: You've been looking at me for the last 5 minutes, would you like some company?
Me: Oh! I'm so sorry, I just spaced out and your face must have been where my eyes rested.

Now I look like a jerk. All because I like visiting other places in my mind. :dry:

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
spacing out during conversation, driving, watching a movie...

Isn't that painful? To miss out on things. :eek:

I only do it when I'm not being active / involved with anything

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was just driving home and realized that I had been completely spacing out for the last few miles (had no idea what cars I'd past or what songs had played) but I also couldn't remember what I had been thinking about, like when you wake up and can't remember what you were dreaming about (and no, I didn't fall asleep at the wheel). I'm wondering if this is a type 9 thing, INTP thing, or just a me thing. This ever happen to any of you?

This ALWAYS happens to me! And then I get frustrated trying to think about what exactly it was I had been thinking/dreaming about, because it could have made a great story idea.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm a 100% sure this happens to everyone regardless of type. Hell it happens to me several times a day.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a 100% sure this happens to everyone regardless of type. Hell it happens to me several times a day.

You mean spacing out *during* activity? No, it doesn't happen to everyone as often.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
You mean spacing out *during* activity? No, it doesn't happen to everyone as often.

yes like i'll be talking and i'll totally forget my thought mid sentence and either stop talking or just switch the topic. which I think it happens to more people than they claim, because like talking to yourself (which happens to everyone) people won't admit it because they don't want to be viewed as crazy

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Isn't that painful? To miss out on things. :eek:

I only do it when I'm not being active / involved with anything

To miss out on things would only be painful if I am informed of what I missed out on. Otherwise it would be business as usual.

How often do you find yourself not involved with anything?

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's a rational function thing, and probably of the introverted variant - Ti/Fi

Why rational?

Yes, but some more than others.

Anyone who says it doesn't happen to them is probably lying.

Also happens to me several times a day.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yes like i'll be talking and i'll totally forget my thought mid sentence and either stop talking or just switch the topic. which I think it happens to more people than they claim, because like talking to yourself (which happens to everyone) people won't admit it because they don't want to be viewed as crazy

No, it doesn't happen to me. I think I would be quite upset if it did. I prefer to be fully engaged.

As for talking to myself, that does happen at times when I'm in the mood for it, and I'm fine with it. I don't view it as "crazy". (I do it inside my head, btw, not out loud, but it still counts as talking to myself, right?)

Nor do I view it crazy if someone tunes out like you do, that is, during an activity, I just would hate it if I was doing it myself

To miss out on things would only be painful if I am informed of what I missed out on. Otherwise it would be business as usual.

How often do you find yourself not involved with anything?

Well, when I'm asleep I'm not involved with anything lol

There are other times during the day too, here and there, e.g. waiting in line somewhere. It's usually under such circumstances, that is, where I don't really have much of a choice

(well sure, you could say there is always a choice, e.g. when waiting in line, I could start talking to someone but I'm not *that* sociable ...I'm okay with someone else starting a convo with me though)

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, but some more than others.

Anyone who says it doesn't happen to them is probably lying.

Also happens to me several times a day.

How the hell can you be so sure that someone's lying just because they are different from you?

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How the hell can you be so sure that someone's lying just because they are different from you?

as an Se-dom, do you feel you don't space out very often, and find it more natural to live "in the moment"?