• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 7] 7s - do you get bored?

S

Society

sounds like a silly question, but i'm trying to figure out if i actually am a 7:

i find that for the most part i don't consciously get bored - if i don't have something stimulating me, my brain actively creates it. i don't run away from boredom proactively, it's just that my entire mindset seems to geared against letting me get bored in the first place. the only exceptions are when i am completely energy depleted from doing anything i want to do, which is usually not a good sign.

i've recently being challenged with doing nothing - not just nothing productive but genuinely nothing - for two hours, and i came up with a new railroad system concept. my brain won't let me get bored.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, you are correct. If there is external stimulation lacking, then I will get lost in my own brain. I will start fantasizing about things that i will do in the future, or i will relive situations that happened in the past, dream about would happen if i changed them etc.
I think I dread being bored, so i naturally create strategies against it. The other day i was reading this buddist/zen article that talked about the importance of focusing on one thing at a time...and i had a sort of revelation: i noticed that i'm always thinking ahead about several things: for example as i'm writing this post i'm thinking about calling someone and about searching for information for a job and about looking into a particular website and about getting food and etc. and if i think about stopping that mental activity, it gets kinda scary for a while.
How do you feel about that? I think you're a 7 anyways.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I only get bored when I'm forced to take ADHD medicine.

Or that's what I think…that is my situation most of the time.

I usually immerse myself in future plans about one or more of the following simultaneously:

Planning what I'll write next in my scifi novel.

Reliving the past.

Drawing.

Imagining what the world would be like if a key social rule changed.

Imagining the world in the distant future.

Contemplating my own future.

………

The list would just keep going if I didn't stop here. There is always something to do or think about to stay entertained. That is, of course, my thought are artificially slowed.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah i think you have it right in the op. i am constantly doing something...i mean...i'm not saying i'm super productive always haha i just mean that i very rarely sit doing nothing. like watching tv while being on the computer going back and forth between my 8+ tabs open and texting someone. if i have to be somewhere and wait on anything...i'll read something or play some game or text somebody...i find it hard to just stand and wait.

that's boring i don't know why i typed all that out ha

edit: funny just read this on one of my open tabs

Palmer's Exercise for Type 7s

Find a way to get out of your head and to stop living in your future plans. Do Tai Chi and really be present and feel your body. Or take a walk and feel the air moving in and out of your lungs. Breathe deeply into your belly and into your heart space. Smell the flowers and trees, or the dust. Look at what is around you right now. Be with the experience that you are living right now.

One of the simplest ways to learn to turn off the spinning mind, is also one of the most difficult for sevens, who like to stay in motion. It is called mindfulness meditation: Sit quietly and notice your breath. Notice where your mind goes. Stop the thoughts and focus on your breath. After a time you will learn to turn off the spinning of the mind and be with your present experience.

which i actually used to do when i was in the middle of an anxiety attack. it's like my cure for anxiety was to engage my se...just look around at the trees..feel the wind etc...just make myself feel the experience of being there outside. it is relaxing...must remember to do that more.