• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 8] Questions for E8's

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
As the E8 fear is "fear of being harmed or controlled,"

1. How does this play out in your daily life? What kind of steps have you personally taken to compensate for this?
2. What sorts of things trigger your fear?
3. What do you think it means to be controlled?
4. what do you think it means to be harmed?

danke

ps: I tried putting questions into quotes to make it easier to copy paste but for some reason it didn't work. meh.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I'll begin:

1. How does this play out in your daily life? What kind of steps have you personally taken to compensate for this?

I work out, took martial arts, and for a little while I tried learning dominating handshakes as a show of force so the more testy personalities wouldn't have to test me. To me, in matters of business, I take excessive measures to ensure all facets of transaction are written down and taken into consideration so nothing is left up to "trust," only the system set in place. I'm also very aware of safety in nearly all situations that are dangerous. I've broken a bone once in my life because some other idiot fell on my foot when I wasn't looking. I learn psychology to know how everyone is thinking at all times so I can pre-empt threats from crazy people, jealous people, and manipulators.

I find the things I'm most scared of are knives and any weapons in the hands of others because I can't trust most people to wield them responsibly. I'm also scared and suspicious of people who are overly friendly and charming because they've almost always stabbed me in the back shortly after. I find its difficult to meet meet someone who is nice who at the same time tells me where I stand with them.

Manipulation, or put into a situation where my free will is eliminated.

Physically, mentally, emotionally abused or neglected.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I certainly got strong 8 tendencies due to my fix so I'll respond too:

It plays out as a fear of exposing myself too much because exposure means risk of being harmed. I need to "act tough" and never let my guard down and allow myself to be vulnerable. By vulnerable I mean emotionally vulnerable, showing attachment and emotion to other people, to show that I care and so on. When you show attachment, there's a risk people will betray you or stab you in the back in some way or simply not reciprocate your feelings at all, causing a sense of rejection. Rejection simply proves what you already know - people cannot be trusted and you cannot let your guard down because they will just screw you over.

I haven't taken any specific counter-measures to deal with this more than trying to learn to be more trusting of people and realize that the world is not always there to simply fuck you over and people do not always possess ill intentions, not in a conscious way, but simply because human nature is like that. So mostly just realizing that the world isn't operating on a dog-eat-dog mentality and that by learning to trust people and open up yourself more you can feel more personally satisfied and fulfilled as a person since we all desire connection even if we may deny this.

Fear of betrayal and fear of rejection or people harming those I care about because once I care, it's like you become an extension of myself. Harming those people is thus akin to harming me and there are few acts as depicable as trying to get to others through their friends/family.

In retrospect I also realized how this is a good example of why 8s are considered a rejection/detachment type as well, because if you do not attach yourself to anyone, no friends and no family, there is no way others can take advantage of you ever. 8s live in a world of chosen loneliness because if you are alone you only got yourself to deal with and you have this absolute control of the environment since the numbers of factors of how the world can hurt you are practically non-existent. You're the lone wolf in a dog-eat-dog world and your job is to simply ensure that you become the top dog so no one else can control you.

That people have power over you and can get what they want because you fear what they can do to you out of fear of being harmed and/or hurt.

Betrayed, emotionally hurt and estranged, left alone to rot in the gutter after you open up and expose yourself and people decide to shit on you because people are shit. People taking advantage of you in some way.