• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 7] 7w8 vs. 7w6: the Roman Empire vs. Mongolian horde?

S

Society

twice now my wing has being brought into question:

so i figured i'll bring it up for a check:
what are the differences between a 7w8 & a 7w6?

this is what i have so far:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
At least IMO, you do seem 7w8ish on the internet because you don't seem to mind stirring up shit, perhaps even do it for entertainment. That's not to say you are in real life, just that I understand why people would say that.

I see 7w6 as more FUN and 7w8 as more FREEDOM.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
At least IMO, you do seem 7w8ish on the internet because you don't seem to mind stirring up shit, perhaps even do it for entertainment. That's not to say you are in real life, just that I understand why people would say that.
I see 7w6 as more FUN and 7w8 as more FREEDOM.
^this misconception is why I typed as 7w8 for a year
7s in general are pretty ruthlessly freedom seeking.
[MENTION=15291]Mane[/MENTION]
I see you as more 7w6. you seem much more self critical and cautious than a 7w8. 7w8s are more impulsive and tend to feel invincible.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not confrontational enough to deserve a w8 wing, sorry bro.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^this misconception is why I typed as 7w8 for a year

:shrug: It's just an impression. The definite 7s I know are mostly female, so that could be influenced by gender expression. All I'm saying is that Mane seems more like the headstrong 7w8s I know than the flighty 7w6s.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:shrug: It's just an impression. The definite 7s I know are mostly female, so that could be influenced by gender expression. All I'm saying is that Mane seems more like the headstrong 7w8s I know than the flighty 7w6s.

7w6s aren't generally flighty.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hmm, I can't see a wing in you honestly, you don't seem swayed by anxiety or need for control (strongly) though I can see aspects of both slightly. Take a cerebral approach of the 7w6 without being nervous or overly thoughtful, but also have a specific way that you would *like* to see the world and things around you in a way as well. I honestly think you may be a wingless.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
7w6's tend to be more ingratiating and anxious while 7w8's tend to be more forceful and overwhelming when it comes to asserting their personal needs.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
7w6s aren't generally flighty.

Geez, I know two who are practically the embodiment of the word. One's ESFP 7w6 sx/so and the other ENFP 7w6 so/sx. The 7 keeps them moving forward and the 6 anxiety makes them skittish, I think. They're always on the move... bantery... very warm, engaging, inclusive... they both have a kind of nervous quality about them.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Geez, I know two who are practically the embodiment of the word. One's ESFP 7w6 sx/so and the other ENFP 7w6 so/sx. The 7 keeps them moving forward and the 6 anxiety makes them skittish, I think. They're always on the move... bantery... very warm, engaging, inclusive... they both have a kind of nervous quality about them.

maybe we're talking about the difference between 7w6sw8w7 and 7w6sw6w5
7w6sw6w5~The Entertainer/The Comedian
- jittery
- anxious
- endearing
- entertaining
- high energy

think Conan O'Brien, Robin Williams, Martin Short, Jim Carey or Michael J. Fox

song representation

7w6sw8w7~The Trickster/The Adventurer
- spunky
- adventurous
- vivacious
- fox-like trickster
- grandiose

think Antonio Banderas, Captain Jack Sparrow, Michelle Rodriguez, Peter Pan or

song representation

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
7w6's tend to be more ingratiating and anxious while 7w8's tend to be more forceful and overwhelming when it comes to asserting their personal needs.

sort of. "ingratiating" isn't quite the right word (that's more 2, 3w2, 6 and phobic 6w7). 7w6 will generally take a little more time to understand your point of view and ask themselves "did I do something wrong" (the 6-ish tendencies of double checking and second guessing are apparent) but they're generally more than willing to be pushy with an unreasonable person (type 7 is all about "how do I nourish myself?" "how do I get what I want?" "how do I feel good?" and anything in opposition to that is going to be addressed by any means possible) ; 7w8s are more likely to simply bulldoze through you. 8s and 7w8s have a tendency to view their opposition as simply an obstacle and are less likely to take their perspective into consideration. even the 8w9, who will generally go about it in a more gentle fashion, will likely ignore you and continue on with carrying out what they were doing. of course, more mature 8s and 7w8s have less of this tendency as they tend to resort less to "dehumanizing" and place more inherent value in people.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hmm, I can't see a wing in you honestly, you don't seem swayed by anxiety or need for control (strongly) though I can see aspects of both slightly. Take a cerebral approach of the 7w6 without being nervous or overly thoughtful, but also have a specific way that you would *like* to see the world and things around you in a way as well. I honestly think you may be a wingless.

for the record, I see you as a 7w6 Sp/Sx. your energy is much more vibrant and carefree than a 6.

Edited: foot in mouth moment XD

Last edited:
R

Riva

At least IMO, you do seem 7w8ish on the internet because you don't seem to mind stirring up shit, perhaps even do it for entertainment. That's not to say you are in real life, just that I understand why people would say that.I see 7w6 as more FUN and 7w8 as more FREEDOM.
From what I have noticed - I notice great many things - 7w6s stir more shit up than 7w8s. It probably is for the reason you gave 'fun'.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
for the record, I see you as a 7w6 Sp/Sx. your energy is much more vibrant and carefree than a 6.

to respond to your post though, the 6 is there, it's just buried below the surface and I hide it well. I seek a fair amount of external confirmation because, contrary to what you said, I do have a tendency to over think things sometimes and often don't trust my own decision making power (not trusting one's self is really the core issue of 6). that said, this is a good example of why I believe subwings are important. being a 7w6sw8w7, the influence of the 6 wing is less prominent and accompanied by a side dish of 8w7. (I described the subwings of 7w6 a bit more in my second to last post)

edit: I'll expand cuz I'm an attention whore XD

6 traits
- seeking external confirmation, as if to say "has anyone else noticed this or am I crazy?"
- a heightened sense of danger
- stuck in my head and poor at taking action (7w6) as opposed to action oriented and impulsive (7w8)
- a lack of focused, realistic goals (7w6) as opposed to lack of future oriented thinking, an inability to delay gratification and reckless behavior (7w8)
- cowardice when confronted with a genuine threat. I ran away when prompted to do anything dangerous or scary as a child
- preparation for future threats. one of the reasons I'm generally good in conflict situations is because I plan out how I will respond to various types of threats (physical, verbal etc)
- clear personal boundaries that I've set up to protect myself
- when I was younger, I knew I was insecure, so I analyzed powerful, secure people who I believed were good representations of how strong, virtuous, high class men behaved and thought. eventually, I began to grasp their state of mind and it became much more internal (this is probably why the 6 is less obvious. NFPs are good at internalizing things that resonate with them)
- instances of elaborately premeditated violence. revenge is often attributed to 8, but, in my opinion, it's much more prevalent among 6s. for 8s, revenge is an in the moment thing and something that few situations would be a big enough deal to warrant; for a 6 a wrong, perceived wrong or anticipated wrong can spark a frenzy of creative sadistic thought. 6s are more aware of their weaknesses than 8s and realize that they need to be more unpredictable and sudden to win also, 8s take a much more direct approach to revenge. generally, they'll simply kick your ass and leave. nothing fancy, not much thought to it. 6s on the other hand can spend hours scheming up elaborate scenarios of how they're going to torture you, humiliate you or kill you in the most inhumane, painful way possible.
- a desire for predictability and security. I'm an ENFP 7, so obviously the SJ routine-centric lifestyle is not going to be my cup of tea, but I do want a job where I can go into work and say "I know how to do this" and "I work from this time to this time" as opposed to a job with more unpredictable hours, more sporadic problems and a less clear sense of when you're actually done. when the latter occurs, I over think, dread going to work and do a bit of a hamster wheel in my mind thinking "did I do that?" "did I miss something?" "what if there was something else?" switching from a vocal performance major to an accounting major has eased my mind drastically
- learning to quiet my mind is something that took a very long time for me to get a grip on. while I've gotten a lot better about it, there's still a buzz of mental activity that I don't even realize until I'm about to go to bed. going to sleep feels like a computer being shut down that has to close 50 programs before it can shut off properly

8 traits
- a general feeling of invincibility (ironic when you consider the second 6-ish tendency I mentioned)
- "sucking the air out of the room" when I walk in
- territorial of possessions and what I believe is my decision to make
- a tendency to deny "weaker" emotions in myself (less so recently, the last few months have been a HUGE emotional transformation)
- a genuine enjoyment of conflict. it's the difference between "I'm not afraid of you! I can take you!" (cp6) and "hahaha! let's see what you got!" (8). 8s test and size up their opponent to see if they've found a worthy sparring partner while 6s want to test themselves to prove to themselves that they can actually do it. (I share a little bit of both qualities
- controlling under stress. I start to dehumanize people.
- I view very little as a threat. in fact, it borders on arrogant sometimes (8 is probably the most genuinely arrogant type; 6-ish arrogance is more contrived). I view most people as pathetic little mice that do nothing but squeak while I am a cat who either chooses to play with them before eating or ignores them.
- both 6s and 8s are disobedient, but 6s to do so more reactively, rebelliously or passive aggressively. 8s simply tell you what they're going to do and then do it. "rebelling" would only give the impression that you actually had any authority over them in the first place.
- more grounded, self assured energy.
- easily enforce boundaries: if my 6 influence forms boundaries for self preservation, my 8 influence makes them clear to people. this is nonverbal 98% and easily dealt with another 1% of the time (usually something as easy as "hey, could you stop that? thanks" is enough). it's only about 1% of the time I actually have to check people, though I wish it were more. conflict to me is like an action movie. you enjoy the fight scenes and get bored in between (though, with 6 as the wing of my core type, I don't like confrontation that poses a serious threat. if there is any threat of permanent injury or death, I'm not sticking around).
- my speech is choleric, unapologetic and generally a lot more forceful than I realize, to the point where it makes people uneasy when I don't even feel angry or critical.

the 8 traits are more prevalent, but they also affect me less than the 6 traits and the 8 traits overlap more with other aspects of my type (which can make the 8 influence appear heavier than it actually is)

:huh:?

are you talking about mane? I was talking about mane...

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
maybe we're talking about the difference between 7w6sw8w7 and 7w6sw6w5
7w6sw6w5~The Entertainer/The Comedian
- jittery
- anxious
- endearing
- entertaining
- high energy

think Conan O'Brien, Robin Williams, Martin Short, Jim Carey or Michael J. Fox

song representation
[...]

7w6sw8w7~The Trickster/The Adventurer
- spunky
- adventurous
- vivacious
- fox-like trickster
- grandiose

think Antonio Banderas, Captain Jack Sparrow, Michelle Rodriguez, Peter Pan or

song representation
[...]

:thinking: Perhaps so. Subwings make my head spin.

From what I have noticed - I notice great many things - 7w6s stir more shit up than 7w8s. It probably is for the reason you gave 'fun'.

Hm. I don't know. I was under the impression that 7w8s were more confrontational, a la core 8, which makes them less hesitant to openly challenge others. I meant "stir shit up" in the sense of provoking aggression. In terms of just amping energy up, then sure, the traditional 7w6 entertainer probably more often gets groups energized. But the 7w8 realist seems more willing to throw things out in the open regardless of the consequences.

My point being, the reason I said 7w8 was in remembering a thread (maybe that crazy INFJ-INFP death spiral one not too long ago) where Mane sort of just came in during the middle of the conversation and really shook things up and was pretty direct about it. It was refreshing, but blunt. There didn't seem to be much padding or editing of language or ideas for the sake of positive reception, which I would expect from a 6-winger in the interest of ingratiation.

That was a single strong memory, though. His consistent overall style may be different.

S

Society

one thing that might be worthy to note is that i certainly have 8 in my tritype, in the sense that between 8/9/1, 8 represents the way i deal with anger. i don't have 6 in my tritype because 7 & 6 both represents way of dealing with fear, and 7 takes the crown for me on that one, so that doesn't contradict my main enneagram being a 7w6.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
one thing that might be worthy to note is that i certainly have 8 in my tritype, in the sense that between 8/9/1, 8 represents the way i deal with anger. i don't have 6 in my tritype because 7 & 6 both represents way of dealing with fear, and 7 takes the crown for me on that one, so that doesn't contradict my main enneagram being a 7w6.

a 7w8 with an 8 fix would not mistype as 7w6; a 7w6 with an 8 fix could easily mistype as 7w8. if you think you are core 7, I see you as 7w6>4w5>8w9 Sx/Sp

S

Society

a 7w8 with an 8 fix would not mistype as 7w6; a 7w6 with an 8 fix could easily mistype as 7w8. if you think you are core 7, I see you as 7w6>4w5>8w9 Sx/Sp

in the words of the all mighty [MENTION=7254]Wind-Up Rex[/MENTION] :
"from everything i've gotten about your life so far, I can't see you as anything but sp-last"

her logic is consistent with most of my life:
sp's don't go skating highschool trusting that they'd always figure out a way to get out of trouble.
sp's in the military requested for officer training don't easily throw away the most stable career route.
sp's don't quit jobs and travel on their last cents again & again to deal with it when they come back.
sp's don't invest their own money into their own startup companies when they have nothing but debt.
sp's sexual tendencies aren't likely to tie in with exhibitionism, being caught, or dancing around sharing/cuckold.
sp's don't climb out of debt by going to a new country to learn a new skill they have no idea if they are good at.
sp's don't fight with their apartment-providing job's bosses when they know it means being homeless for awhile.
sp's don't propose after 4 months of knowing someone thinking "i want to be with her forever anyway, why not?"
sp's don't immigrate without a work visa knowing they'll be dependent economically on someone completely.
sp's don't develop loving parental relationships with a child that can be taken from them on someone else's whim.

its only in the last year since my divorce that I've become traumatic regarding my own vulnerabilities & the potential consequences of empowering others in my life, the consequences of coming into situations unprepared economically or situations in which i have to trust the wrong sort of people, compensating for the utter lack of self-preservation voice in my head.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
in the words of the all mighty [MENTION=7254]Wind-Up Rex[/MENTION] :
"from everything i've gotten about your life so far, I can't see you as anything but sp-last"

her logic is consistent with most of my life:
sp's don't go skating highschool trusting that they'd always figure out a way to get out of trouble.
sp's in the military requested for officer training don't easily throw away the most stable career route.
sp's don't quit jobs and travel on their last cents again & again to deal with it when they come back.
sp's don't invest their own money into their own startup companies when they have nothing but debt.
sp's sexual tendencies aren't likely to tie in with exhibitionism, being caught, or dancing around sharing/cuckold.
sp's don't climb out of debt by going to a new country to learn a new skill they have no idea if they are good at.
sp's don't fight with their apartment-providing job's bosses when they know it means being homeless for awhile.
sp's don't propose after 4 months of knowing someone thinking "i want to be with her forever anyway, why not?"
sp's don't immigrate without a work visa knowing they'll be dependent economically on someone completely.
sp's don't develop loving parental relationships with a child that can be taken from them on someone else's whim.

its only in the last year since my divorce that I've become traumatic regarding my own vulnerabilities & the potential consequences of empowering others in my life, the consequences of coming into situations unprepared economically or situations in which i have to trust the wrong sort of people, compensating for the utter lack of self-preservation voice in my head.

o_O
...point taken