• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 7] 7's crying due to boredom?

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Is it possible for a 7 to cry out of boredom? Is this usual/unusual?

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
I would think anyone could cry due to to boredom, if the boredom was intense and prolonged enough.

KDude

What if you were put in solitary confinement?

I'd start reading or doing pushups. But then, there's a lot more to cause misery if you were in that position than just solitary confinement (guilt, for example). I'd be equally miserable just for being in prison, period. Solitary might be preferable if the prison culture sucked. There are a lot sick or at least annoying dudes in there whose rants or stories you'd rather not listen to.

I'm not in prison, and I haven't hung out with anyone but family for at least two years now. I'm more bored with my social options than I am alone.

That all said, I can get bored and restless - but crying about it is pretty funny.

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
I'd start reading or doing pushups.

No books allowed. No computer or phone. Also no music to listen to while you do push ups.

You know your family are ok, and you get to see them once a year, and they are financially looked after, so that's not why you're crying. Also the cell is comfortable and you have food/shower.

You'd still go mad.:D

KDude

No books allowed. No computer or phone. Also no music to listen to while you do push ups.

You know your family are ok, and you get to see them once a year, and they are financially looked after, so that's not why you're crying. Also the cell is comfortable and you have food/shower.

You'd still go mad.:D

I might go mad, but I'm just saying it won't be out of boredom. That's the least of your problems, if you wind up in the worst section of prison. I've been in rehab, with some really sick people, and I'd guess prison is much worse. I'm serious when I say I'd prefer spending that time alone. Your own bullshit is enough to deal with.

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
I might go mad, but I'm just saying it won't be out of boredom. That's the least of your problems, if you wind up in the worst section of prison. I've been in rehab, with some really sick people, and I'd guess prison is much worse. I'm serious when I say I'd prefer spending that time alone. Your own bullshit is enough to deal with.

I'm not talking about prison so much, forget that side of it, just some situation like I described.

Imagine it's some super civilized country like Norway where your prison cell is comfortable, your family is ok, etc.

Yes you would go mad out of boredom. Imagine being in the exact same place, but you have internet, books, music, and get some weekly visits from friends/family, or some activity of your choice. you would go mad less soon.

KDude

I'm not talking about prison so much, just some situation like I described. Imagine it's some super civilized coutnry like Norway where your prison cell is comfortable, your family is ok, etc.

Yes you would go mad out of boredom. Imagine being in the exact same place, but you have internet, books, music, and get some weekly visits from friends/family, or some activity of your choice. you would go mad less soon.

Well, I'm not inclined to test it out. My point though is that there are too many extenuating circumstances with the "prison" example to illustrate anything useful. If you're put in solitary, then the crime was pretty damn serious. So you have a lot to think about your guilt or from where you've fallen. Either that, or some of those guys are in there because they've been violent with the rest of the prisoners. So they're already miserable for that reason. Some are the target of violence, so they're protected for their own good. Again, already miserable. Some are just on suicide watch - so they're already miserable as well.

Basically, the whole experience sucks balls. Boredom is only a part of it. If I was put in solitary, and started crying, how would you know I was crying from boredom? It could be a ton of things.

Anyways, this probably way off the scope of the topic. We're talking about day-to-day boredom, right? That's what I find funny about the crying. It can't be that bad (I'm not a 7 myself btw, so maybe I don't know how bad it is...).

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
We're talking about day-to-day boredom, right?

IDK, maybe extreme boredom? Like literally you don't know anyone, all your friends and family are in another country, got no money to do anything.

The confinement thing, I still think I was right, I'm saying just imagine a hypothetical situation and forget the whole prison side of it and but to stop derailing I will shut up.

Maybe the point is that some people will experience depression as boredom, and other people will emphasize other sides of the situation like you did? IDK

KDude

Maybe the point is that some people will experience depression as boredom, and other people will emphasize other sides of the situation like you did? IDK

Well.. I'm not here to give advice, but considering that most 7s are Se and Ne dom, I might be able to comment on differences. And what I think is different is that IXXPs don't use Ne/Se in this sort of "buffet" approach to experience. Se doms especially tend to keep adding on to their adventures or activities. They live off of new experiences. I guess if that stops, it's like the floor is pulled out from under them.

ISPs don't need new experiences per se. They can keep approaching the same experience with new eyes. They might spend hours playing an instrument, finding something new or fun each time. I think as long as they can get in touch with the sensory parameters of the activity (whether sports, or art, or even passive media), it'll hold their attention. Dominant Se needs action in a different way. Some might have the same level of interests in some skillset (there are a lot artisans and athletes who are ESP after all), but those who don't.. those who depend more on environment and people to get their action will probably go nutty if they lose a connection with it.

TLDR: Find a hobby.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think you might. You might cry over anything in your life that is not where you want it to be. That goes for the feeling of fulfillment or excitement or whatever you fear not having (and consequently becoming bored) for sure.

:hug: Change is sometimes hard.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I'd start reading or doing pushups. But then, there's a lot more to cause misery if you were in that position than just solitary confinement (guilt, for example). I'd be equally miserable just for being in prison, period. Solitary might be preferable if the prison culture sucked. There are a lot sick or at least annoying dudes in there whose rants or stories you'd rather not listen to.

I'm not in prison, and I haven't hung out with anyone but family for at least two years now. I'm more bored with my social options than I am alone.

That all said, I can get bored and restless - but crying about it is pretty funny.

introverts don't count. Sorry

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I've cried out of boredom before. Although maybe it wasn't so much, boredom, so much as it was that I was forced into a church summer camp surrounded by people I didn't like doing things I didn't find interesting while watching boring movies I didn't like.

So it might have been more than boredom.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Is it possible for a 7 to cry out of boredom? Is this usual/unusual?

Sure it is. The question might seem silly to people who don't have the 7's fixation, but staying occupied/focused on the external is a very real defense mechanism to avoid inner pain or confusion. If someone has not spent much time in reflection and is suddenly forced to do so, I would imagine that it could easily erupt into emotional displays or mania (common for the 7). I'm not even a core 7 but I know that when I moved away from a large city to work from home in a suburban cesspool, it was very difficult.. and I realized that for the first time in my life (at age 28) I was bored, confronted with an inability to be content with simple things and had endless time to consider my life and actions. It was a wonderful growing experience though, in which I emerged with better sense of self, purpose and priorities.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
no. 7s rarely cry in general. not because we would view it as weak, but because we are (unconsciously) experts at avoiding our negative emotions (even at times when we want to experience them).
more likely, boredom for a 7 will cause fear. 7s are the perpetual procrastinators of the enneagram and, as long as we can continue to avoid our problems via new and exciting distractions, we feel like we're okay, but when forced to stop, all those problems can no longer be avoided and come to consciousness. at this point, 7s fall off the treadmill of procrastination and can either become
1) neurotic, frantically searching for an alternate means of escape, like a rat trying to get out of a burning maze
2) resentful and bitter, almost in a spoiled child sort of way. less mature 7s are often extremely entitled and throw an (internal or external) hissy fit when things don't go their way. "why did this have to happen to me?! I deserve better than this!"
3) exceedingly withdrawn, retreating to their minds as the last frontier of escape and exhibiting a pseudo 5-ish or 9-ish quality. 7s under stress of this nature are like 9s and disintegrated 3s in that sleeping their problems away becomes more and more appealing.

however
- these are examples of extreme stress and burn out, not common boredom. bored 7s can get a bit annoying, fussy or anxious, but it's not a terribly emotional experience.
- even in their most disintegrated states, 7s still manage to avoid most of their negative emotions to the point where the wouldn't surface enough to result in crying. when a 7 cries, it's usually out of
1) anger (usually at an external force trying to restrict them)
or
2) a reality bitch slap that forced them to realize/face a negative emotion or desperation within themselves of which they had been unaware. I had one several months ago when I realized a severely repressed need for intimacy and sexuality. it as actually kind funny cuz I went back and forth from crying due to extreme loneliness and enjoying the drama, periodically laughing and being entertained in a "hmm, I actually feel something, this is interesting" sort of way.

PS: the example you listed later in the thread was more likely an issue of control than boredom. while boredom won't make a 7 cry, restricting their freedom and forcing them to do something against their will could definitely make them cry in certain situations (it sure has with me in the past. 95% of the time when I do cry it's out of rage)

Edit: [MENTION=12991]Huxley3112[/MENTION]
I'm going to have to disagree with you on a few points
- manic eruptions or emotion are not common for type 7. we have feelings(preferences, impulses, desires, egocentricity etc) but little in the way of emotions like intense joy, sadness or guilt (that's another reason we resort to hedonism. it allows us to superficially feel something). manic eruptions can occur, but they're general brief and have little to do with emotion.
- 7s crying out of "boredom" (which, in my opinion, is more of a short term restlessness cease in activity) is really crying out feeling trapped and hopeless (which was likely the case in your scenario moving to a boring suburb)