• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 4] Whats your stance to melodrama? (esp. To those with 4w3 in triad)

Asterism

MBTI Type
IxxJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sometimes, I'll reach a point where I'm just so emotionally overwhelmed that I'll flagrantly exaggerate my own woes for the sake of amusing myself and those unfortunate enough to have to deal with me and my wallowing. It's usually a last-ditch effort to lighten my own mood by inviting people to (gently) poke fun at my drama; it helps me to get out of my head and not take myself quite so seriously. It works, because people know me as being very reserved and I never, ever whine-- the other side of this is that I don't have to outright ask anyone to help me cheer up. I don't like appearing vulnerable and I hate pressuring others/holding them emotionally captive even more, so in this, it serves a purpose as a subtle way of seeking attention when I need it most.

Melodrama in others is interesting to watch; I have a heavy 5 wing and tend to observe human behavior with a certain degree of detachment if I'm in the mood for mental note-taking, but I'm also very conflict-averse, so my level of comfort with it fluctuates. I prefer it when it takes the form of creative expression, especially in verse.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I love being near drama but uninvolved. fictional, friends complaining to me, some strangers yelling at each other in the street, whatever. as far as myself, I have my dramatic moments but I typically keep it to myself and try to avoid making scenes. or like orangeappled said, I use it to be humorous sometimes by exaggerating a small problem.

I think a lot if why I restrain my dramatic instincts is that it feels do cliche, like its all been in a movie or I've seen a thousand other girls say the same thing.

I actually get agitated by witnessing real conflict between people, and even on TV I can't take watching people fight/argue constantly. It seems that's what 99% of reality TV ends up being, and no wonder as it has increasingly taken over TV, I have increasingly kept mine turned off.

I have to be very detached to get anything out of drama between others, and then I tend to be fascinated by the dynamics of the people involved. I'm not entertained or amused though.

However, I totally agree with avoiding the cliche aspect... I actually used to take pride in NOT being the stereotypically dramatic, attention-whoring girl you see on TV, in movies, and in, well, High School. I still don't fit that cliche, even though I'm less contained & withdrawn than when I was younger. I'm not gossipy and I rarely have interpersonal drama in my life. All my exes said I was a lot more patient and less emotional than any woman they were involved with before, and that was included in the break-up comments. However, I like dramatic expression that is creative. The kind of drama I like on TV & in movies is an over all theme of tragedy and an emotional atmosphere, often presented in a wistful way.

Sometimes, I'll reach a point where I'm just so emotionally overwhelmed that I'll flagrantly exaggerate my own woes for the sake of amusing myself and those unfortunate enough to have to deal with me and my wallowing. It's usually a last-ditch effort to lighten my own mood by inviting people to (gently) poke fun at my drama; it helps me to get out of my head and not take myself quite so seriously. It works, because people know me as being very reserved and I never, ever whine-- the other side of this is that I don't have to outright ask anyone to help me cheer up. I don't like appearing vulnerable and I hate pressuring others/holding them emotionally captive even more, so in this, it serves a purpose as a subtle way of seeking attention when I need it most.

Melodrama in others is interesting to watch; I have a heavy 5 wing and tend to observe human behavior with a certain degree of detachment if I'm in the mood for mental note-taking, but I'm also very conflict-averse, so my level of comfort with it fluctuates. I prefer it when it takes the form of creative expression, especially in verse.

YES. This articulates it perfectly for me.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
@ OP Save the drama for yo mama.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I actually get agitated by witnessing real conflict between people, and even on TV I can't take watching people fight/argue constantly. It seems that's what 99% of reality TV ends up being, and no wonder as it has increasingly taken over TV, I have increasingly kept mine turned off.

I have to be very detached to get anything out of drama between others, and then I tend to be fascinated by the dynamics of the people involved. I'm not entertained or amused though.

However, I totally agree with avoiding the cliche aspect... I actually used to take pride in NOT being the stereotypically dramatic, attention-whoring girl you see on TV, in movies, and in, well, High School. I still don't fit that cliche, even though I'm less contained & withdrawn than when I was younger. I'm not gossipy and I rarely have interpersonal drama in my life. All my exes said I was a lot more patient and less emotional than any woman they were involved with before, and that was included in the break-up comments. However, I like dramatic expression that is creative. The kind of drama I like on TV & in movies is an over all theme of tragedy and an emotional atmosphere, often presented in a wistful way.

YES. This articulates it perfectly for me.

Interesting. As a child I remember feeling very indifferent to people dying on TV and I even asked people why they care or why the world cares, lol. I mean, people dying on the news.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram

Melodrama in others doesn't bother me much, as long as it's an honest expression of emotion. I'll hear them out, and even empathize or want to help. If nothing else, if they just want to complain and don't want to be helped, it is sort of like watching a movie - and I don't mean that crudely because I am very emotionally affected by movies. But what I mean is, it can make me think, or examine some of the more tender emotions in myself, or if nothing else, it's interesting.

However, if people are causing drama by being obnoxious to others, or to me, that's a problem. It's one thing to wallow in emotions - that is the stuff of art, music, and fantasy. It's another thing to take your crap out on someone else and ruin their life. I do my best to take responsibility for my own actions. When someone tries to blame me - or someone I care about - for their problems, they have another thing coming.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As a 4-dom, I am a fan of drama :coffee:

G

Ginkgo

Depends on why it's happening. I like drama when a character or person strives to achieve a goal aside from handling the drama of others. Inner-conflict, man vs. nature, and even man vs. man when there's a clear solution. Otherwise, it drowns me.

Nicki

Retired
I engage in melodrama when I can also achieve something. When I create art, I use my own very intense feelings and I don't hold anything back. I'm also melodramatic when I'm trying to entertain others or get a reaction. I look down on messy emotional displays though.

madhatter

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
this is a very 3w4 answer. I've noticed 3w4s (and, to an extent, 3w4 fixers) tend to like "controlled melodrama". they enjoy indulging their more intense, emotionally volatile side, but only if they can do so while maintaining control and competence. they can do so through various methods such as
- observing
- performing
- artistic pursuits
- reading
or
- listening to more intense music

as for being in the heat of things....it's usually a position they'd rather avoid

I think this is very true. I also have a tendency to use a lot of hyperbole, which I can see as "controlled melodrama" as well.

Asterism

MBTI Type
IxxJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Melodrama in others doesn't bother me much, as long as it's an honest expression of emotion. I'll hear them out, and even empathize or want to help. If nothing else, if they just want to complain and don't want to be helped, it is sort of like watching a movie - and I don't mean that crudely because I am very emotionally affected by movies. But what I mean is, it can make me think, or examine some of the more tender emotions in myself, or if nothing else, it's interesting.

However, if people are causing drama by being obnoxious to others, or to me, that's a problem. It's one thing to wallow in emotions - that is the stuff of art, music, and fantasy. It's another thing to take your crap out on someone else and ruin their life. I do my best to take responsibility for my own actions. When someone tries to blame me - or someone I care about - for their problems, they have another thing coming.

I can agree with this. An honest expression of emotion is one thing, but I find drama for drama's sake or with the intent to manipulate fairly distasteful.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My stance on melodrama is a pretty droopy one, almost falling over.