• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 7] Myths about 7w6s

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1) Myth: 7w6s are incompetent
Reality: most 7w6s are assertive, adaptable and resilient to hardships that would leave some other types in emotional turmoil or severe anxiety. we can have a tendency to get in over our heads sometimes, but in familiar territory, many 7w6s are fast paced, productive workers.

2) Myth: 7w6s are dumb party animals
Reality: 7w6 is firmly rooted in the thinking triad. they have brilliant, quick minds and are often highly intellectual, inventive and great conversationalists.

3) Myth: 7w6s are there to entertain everyone
Reality: don't flatter yourself, 7w6s are primarily there to entertain themselves and view the attention as a means of mental stimulation and something to bounce their zany thoughts off of. If you're entertained, cool, but 7w6s are not your personal court jester and will certainly resent such an expectation.

4) Myth: 7w6s fear commitment
Reality: most 7w6s don't have problems with commitment if they're with the right person. many of us just have high standards and don't want to be tied down unless we know our emotional and physical needs are going to be met (with the divorce rate at 50% and domestic abuse present in around 30% of households, can you really blame us?)

5) Myth: 7w6s are people loving social butterflies
Reality: 7 is among the most self interested types on the enneagram (if not the most). they tend to like some people who are fun to be around, share their interests and accept them, but they also view many others as restrictive, boring or disrespectful (most 7w6s probably wouldn't use the word "disrespectful" as it has somewhat of a superego/J-ish connotation, but when people make condescending remarks and imply that you are immature simply because you have an energetic personality and a sense of humor, disrespectful is really the only word to describe it). in fact, 7 along with 8 is the type furthest removed from the heart center and in the unhealthy range can begin to view people simply as tools for self gratification.

6) Myth: 7w6s are always happy
Reality: 7 is in the frustration triad. feelings of dissatisfaction, anger, desperation and burn out are not uncommon, but most 7w6s would rather you not see this side of them.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
3) Myth: 7w6s are there to entertain everyone
Reality: don't flatter yourself, 7w6s are primarily there to entertain themselves and view the attention as a means of mental stimulation and something to bounce their zany thoughts off of. If you're entertained, cool, but 7w6s are not your personal court jester and will certainly resent such an expectation.

6) Myth: 7w6s are always happy
Reality: 7 is in the frustration triad. feelings of dissatisfaction, anger, desperation and burn out are not uncommon, but most 7w6s would rather you not see this side of them.

I agree with these two the most. O: Although my friends are unaware of the Enneagram, they still assume I'm always gonna be there for shits and giggles and I'm never really down. So when I'm having an off-day, they kind of minimalize my problems because I always have a happy exterior. This isn't all the time obviously, but it's something that annoys me a lot. ~__~

The high standards one can be true, too. Whenever my friends try to set me up with someone I always turn him down hahaha..

And I'd also like to know where these myths came from. O: I've never heard any of these before!

Derpravity

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been trying to type my partner, who tested 7w6, but he isn't sure it fits.

These descriptions are definitely painting a picture of him, especially some of the social stuff that seems confusing at first glance (like being bouncy and social, but also being frustrated with people a lot and resenting "entertainer" expectations). Your first point was him to a tee -- he's someone who's had a lot of setbacks, but he matured at a young age and just plows through his work when he knows what he's doing. He seems lazy or laidback at first glance, but he's very resilient and has a solid work ethic.

Myth 4 makes sense too. I know my partner fears settling down, or getting complacent, and even worse fears that on some level he can't get over his urge to change things around and move on, meaning he'll never be able to be satisfied in a stable lifestyle. When I read the type 7 profiles there were some similar issues that came up -- needing options open, the fear of being trapped, etc. Would you say what I've just described sounds particularly like a 7w6 to you?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Elfboy, are e76s more or less likely to believe aliens impregnated our ancestors against their will 100,000 years ago?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Let's face it though, many of us 7s actually like to appear in a way that makes us look slightly incompetent, dumb and socially butterfly-ish.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
things i've noticed.

inner e1 perfectionist (which is the source of personal anxiety too and the challenge for chakra 4 acceptance, self-compassion, and slowing down fears).

w6 testing of others and the rules of others realities and how to relate to those without feeling trapped by them as if they get to define the 7w6s reality rather than the 7w6 ALWAYS MAINTAINING PERSONAL CHOICE.

caught between stubborn insistence to resist rules and the way not focusing on the rules (as generic social expectations) and just moving as freely as possible makes them seem unaware and unprofessional to others even when they often do work very hard (like has been said) and think through problems from a variety of perspectives. can be more pragmatic and have more focus than others think when it's time to get the work done.