• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Enneatypes] Tell me about your anger.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
When i'm extremely angry I get really sad to the point of crying or shut down emotionally unleashing an uncensored brutally honest rant.

Hmm, I cry when I'm frustrated because anger would get me in even more trouble.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hmm, I cry when I'm frustrated because anger would get me in even more trouble.

I can relate to that. If I get really mad I've got the tendency to to want to throw things....or punch things. :blush: If I'm mad at someone I will want to yell at them, and then later on I'll feel guilty for the things I said. :cry: So most of the time I just opt to bottle up the anger and go listen to music, read, or paint to calm down...alone.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wonder if it's weird to not experience anger. I don't repress it, I just sort of.. I dunno. I let a lot of stupid shit go, because in the end it doesn't matter. That emotional response is very rarely triggered, as a result.

Either something hurts me emotionally, which doesn't piss me off, just makes me eh.. sad [feel annoyed with myself for letting anyone under my skin].

I guess I feel brief flashes of anger when those I care for are being hurt. I don't say anything I don't mean, I don't physicalize it (I did physically attack people when I saw them assaulting someone else [/defenseless person] before, when I was a lot younger, though). But I don't break stuff or kick things, or do the "angry dishes" or slam doors, etc. Rarely do I raise my voice, & that's usually when I've just been pushed and pushed into a corner. That's rare, since in most circumstances, I can just walk away and allow it to be their problem/not make it mine.

Sometimes if I'm startled, I'll display verbal aggression for a second, but I dunno if that counts. I don't actually 'feel' mad. It's a kneejerk momentary fear-reaction. Like if someone almost hits me with their car or walks in on me changing my clothes, I have the tendency to sternly say, "What the fuck is your problem?" - which, obviously other drivers don't even hear, so it hardly matters, & as for anyone who makes the mistake of walking in on me at a vulnerable moment.. welp, we both end up apologizing profusely, hah.

So, I guess that's the extent of it. Maybe I'm weird/have a relatively high tolerance for anger triggers. :thinking:

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
I don't really have any to point to. Emotion is transient and relates to your perception in the moment; generally any negative long-term emotion ties to unresolved psychological tension creating a perceptual barrier (for whatever personal reason) that prevents you from moving on from the experience.

Anger is an anchor. Find out why and you can move forward.

The_Observer

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9w1
I don't really have any to point to. Emotion is transient and relates to your perception in the moment; generally any negative long-term emotion ties to unresolved psychological tension creating a perceptual barrier (for whatever personal reason) that prevents you from moving on from the experience.

Anger is an anchor. Find out why and you can move forward.

^ what you said. :)

I acknowledge my anger and that's the first step. Then I try to figure out what is making me angry which can be difficult sometimes because sometimes it just creeps up on you. Then step three is to resolve the conflict in an appropriate way. I can feel murderous but knowing the limited perception of that emotional state I keep it together. I stay assertive with my position and direct without getting aggressive or intimidating. For a serious issue, I will keep sentences short and make sure that the person I'm dealing with understands that I will not be trifled with.
This can all happen pretty quickly though. I'll feel angry and if I figure out what is making me angry without too much thought then I usually feel mostly relieved. Then once I plan to actually deal with the anger almost all of the anger subsides. Finally once I deal with the issue, I can go from livid to just happy go lucky in about 1 minute.
One thing that absolutely interests me every time it happens is when I have a delayed anger. In response to a stimulus I might not get angry right away but then maybe five minutes later I'll be in a kind of full alert state. It catches me off guard sometimes but it's always kind of funny. I tend to catch it pretty quickly because I'll notice that I've started to clinch my teeth together in a kind of rythmic way.

As a child, I tended to forget real anger. I think I had moments of white hot incandescent rage because nothing else really explains the physical evidence left behind ... but I don't actually remember feeling that way or doing any of the things that left said evidence. It's like a hole in my memory that I just can't explain. Kinda scary. I think that may have happened prior to complete enneagram development, or perhaps even led to my 9ness.

In general though, my "anger" is more or less a collection of minor irritations that I can shrug off pretty easily for the most part, but they build up sometimes and make me feel very resentful, at which point I get short and snappy with people. I've realized that I'm not good at holding things in indefinitely, if there's something that really bugs me, it will eventually come up and I will feel better for it.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wonder if it's weird to not experience anger. I don't repress it, I just sort of.. I dunno. I let a lot of stupid shit go, because in the end it doesn't matter. That emotional response is very rarely triggered, as a result.

Either something hurts me emotionally, which doesn't piss me off, just makes me eh.. sad [feel annoyed with myself for letting anyone under my skin].

I guess I feel brief flashes of anger when those I care for are being hurt. I don't say anything I don't mean, I don't physicalize it (I did physically attack people when I saw them assaulting someone else [/defenseless person] before, when I was a lot younger, though). But I don't break stuff or kick things, or do the "angry dishes" or slam doors, etc. Rarely do I raise my voice, & that's usually when I've just been pushed and pushed into a corner. That's rare, since in most circumstances, I can just walk away and allow it to be their problem/not make it mine.

Sometimes if I'm startled, I'll display verbal aggression for a second, but I dunno if that counts. I don't actually 'feel' mad. It's a kneejerk momentary fear-reaction. Like if someone almost hits me with their car or walks in on me changing my clothes, I have the tendency to sternly say, "What the fuck is your problem?" - which, obviously other drivers don't even hear, so it hardly matters, & as for anyone who makes the mistake of walking in on me at a vulnerable moment.. welp, we both end up apologizing profusely, hah.

So, I guess that's the extent of it. Maybe I'm weird/have a relatively high tolerance for anger triggers. :thinking:
Are you also 9-fixed? I think there are two emotions I feel stronger than the others and they're sadness and anger. Makes sense given my strong 4 influence and 8 fix plus connection to 8 that is very strong. I think I feel emotions more strongly than maybe some other 5s do, but then I also realized the other day that maybe I don't feel things as strongly as I thought I do either.

But anger, to me, it's a source of strength and sadness can be a source of inspiration.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
People who interact with me irl can feel that I'm not a contentious person, but I am learning more and more that it doesn't mean that I don't have to address anger issues. It is possible that deep anger from childhood abuse has resulted in my chronic, generalized anxiety. I've read that anger too deep to process can express in that manner. I also have trouble feeling anger because I can often understand why a person hurt me and I realize it wasn't personal, but just the natural result of their life experiences and manner of processing information. Because of this I tend to suppress whatever anger I do have. I don't want to conjure up an idea of anger that isn't there, but I do want to clean house and address anger and get it out of me.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are you also 9-fixed? I think there are two emotions I feel stronger than the others and they're sadness and anger. Makes sense given my strong 4 influence and 8 fix plus connection to 8 that is very strong. I think I feel emotions more strongly than maybe some other 5s do, but then I also realized the other day that maybe I don't feel things as strongly as I thought I do either.

But anger, to me, it's a source of strength and sadness can be a source of inspiration.

9 fixed? I'm not familiar with that.. or I'm going senile. :thinking:

I know 9's are peacemakers, & that I can often be viewed as a mediator, but I rarely care to directly engage in mediation for the sake of keeping the peace.. there always has to be a reason beyond that. If there isn't, I just let the chips fall where they may; it's not my problem. And if something actually matters, I'll forego diplomacy if I've exhausted that resource.

Either way- be it that I'm INFJ or just simply human, any emotional state experienced, I am highly sensitive to, and my decisions are heavily influenced by them. I rationalize to balance out that intensity, and over the course of my life have learned not to allow many things to impact me emotionally in negative ways, needlessly. It's freeing, and also gives me a sense of understanding of situations/people beyond my own kneejerk internal responses to them, beyond any emotional conditioning I may have experienced. I'm not speaking in absolutes, of course.

My highs are as equally intense as any low feelings, though ironically, I'm more apt to be wary of the high feelings. Take the rationalization overboard.. take it apart to make sure it's structurally sound, that it's "ok" to feel happy about it. That's likely a control sort of thing, to some extent. I need to understand systems, so I don't get the carpet pulled out from under me. Anger, like I said, doesn't really benefit or motivate me in any way, most of the time.. and probably growing up around very angry people sort of taught me how not to respond to that emotion. Not repress it, but to just deal with it, and work through it in the moment- not allow it to control me. With most intense feelings, I hit this internal brake before fully reacting, to gauge intellectually if the feeling is appropriate for the situation. Collect data to help with this. It's simply being careful, I guess. I realize intense reactions are connected to many different experiences/influences/associations/biases that we may not recognize consciously.. I try to make room for those blind spots.

Eh, this probably didn't answer your question, but it's all I got.

W

WALMART

Paraphrased, from someone greater than I: "Constantly humming beneath the surface."

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
9 fixed? I'm not familiar with that.. or I'm going senile. :thinking:

I know 9's are peacemakers, & that I can often be viewed as a mediator, but I rarely care to directly engage in mediation for the sake of keeping the peace.. there always has to be a reason beyond that. If there isn't, I just let the chips fall where they may; it's not my problem. And if something actually matters, I'll forego diplomacy if I've exhausted that resource.

Either way- be it that I'm INFJ or just simply human, any emotional state experienced, I am highly sensitive to, and my decisions are heavily influenced by them. I rationalize to balance out that intensity, and over the course of my life have learned not to allow many things to impact me emotionally in negative ways, needlessly. It's freeing, and also gives me a sense of understanding of situations/people beyond my own kneejerk internal responses to them, beyond any emotional conditioning I may have experienced. I'm not speaking in absolutes, of course.

My highs are as equally intense as any low feelings, though ironically, I'm more apt to be wary of the high feelings. Take the rationalization overboard.. take it apart to make sure it's structurally sound, that it's "ok" to feel happy about it. That's likely a control sort of thing, to some extent. I need to understand systems, so I don't get the carpet pulled out from under me. Anger, like I said, doesn't really benefit or motivate me in any way, most of the time.. and probably growing up around very angry people sort of taught me how not to respond to that emotion. Not repress it, but to just deal with it, and work through it in the moment- not allow it to control me. With most intense feelings, I hit this internal brake before fully reacting, to gauge intellectually if the feeling is appropriate for the situation. Collect data to help with this. It's simply being careful, I guess. I realize intense reactions are connected to many different experiences/influences/associations/biases that we may not recognize consciously.. I try to make room for those blind spots.

Eh, this probably didn't answer your question, but it's all I got.

In tritype theory it's proposed that we all have a fixation point in each of the three centers. I am thus asking what your gut fixation would be.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In tritype theory it's proposed that we all have a fixation point in each of the three centers. I am thus asking what your gut fixation would be.

Ginkgo was kind enough to pass this quiz on to me.

Results:

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
s
Your trifix is 3w2, 7w6, 8w7.

In enneagram theory, you have one type for how you relate to the world (either 8, 9, or 1), one type for how you think (5, 6, 7) and one type for how you see yourself (2, 3, 4.) Your tri-fix contains one number from each of these triads. They are listed in the order of how strongly they present in your personality.

Your core type (your strongest type) is Type 3 with a 2 wing: Type Three individuals are self-assured, confident, and driven for success. Type Threes have a great deal of energy that propels them to excel at their chosen field, and this is why the type is often called The Achiever. Although Threes may not always like it, they’re often looked up to. Type Threes, more than any other type, are the most likely to be a workaholic. When in a state of growth, Threes become more cooperative and trusting of others, like a Type Six. When stressed, Threes become withdrawn like a Type Nine. You are a Type Three with a Two wing, which means that your driven nature combines with a desire to help people. You often come off as charming and outgoing as a result.

Your second type (your next strongest type) is Type 7 with a 6 wing: Type Seven individuals are energetic, engaging, and playful. They have a love for life and can easily jump from one exciting topic to the next. The Type Seven thought process is a bit scattered, but that’s because they are easily interested in many different things. This is why Type Seven is often called The Enthusiast. When in a growth state, Type Sevens become focused like Type Fives. When they’re stressed, they become a perfectionist like a Type One. The enthusiastic nature of the Type Seven combines with the cooperative nature of the Type Six, making the 7w6 a very outgoing type.

Your third type (the least-used of the three) is Type 8 with a 7 wing: Eights are assertive, dominant individuals who naturally take control of situations. Eights are aggressive in satisfying their needs, and indeed, Type Eight is the most aggressive personality type in the Enneagram. When in a state of growth, Eights become like Type Twos - caring and protective of other people. When Eights are stressed, they become withdrawn and secretive like Type Fives. You're an Eight with a Seven wing, which means that the outgoing nature of Seven combines with the assertive nature of Type Eight to create one of the most dynamic types in the Enneagram. Type 8w7s are a force to be reckoned with.

Some words that describe you: decisive, authoritative, natural leader, assertive, ambitious, driven, adaptable, energetic, enthusiastic, energetic, spontaneous, fun.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ginkgo was kind enough to pass this quiz on to me.

Results:

Hah. those tests are usually bad since they can't really discern the true motivations why people are the way they are. The best to figure out your tritype is to introspect.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hah. those tests are usually bad since they can't really discern the true motivations why people are the way they are. The best to figure out your tritype is to introspect.

Of course online tests don't cover everything. They're an aid in introspection.. I guess perhaps some people just let the internet do their thinking for them, entirely, though.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Of course online tests don't cover everything. They're an aid in introspection.. I guess perhaps some people just let the internet do their thinking for them, entirely, though.

Hopefully if they get it somewhat right :)

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
I started working on controlling my anger when I was about 11 years old.

Prior to that, my father and I would get into intense screaming matches throughout my life. I tortured my younger brother, and was very stubborn and independent, and did things my own way. In my mother's words, describing me to a friend a couple weeks ago, "Nobody could ever get <Maybe> to do anything she didn't want to do." It's not that I was disobedient and reckless, it's just that I made my own rules. I did amazingly in school, but I did all my homework for the last period during the next period. By the end of the day I just had one assignment left, and did it on the bus. Then, I spent the afternoons wandering the streets (even in elementary school), practicing piano, writing songs, writing books (around middle school), reading, climbing trees, wandering through the forest by myself. Nobody could stop me. I had so much energy and hardly ever slept. My parents would tell me, "You shouldn't do your homework during class" and I'd say, "My average is 102%. If you start telling me how I ought to do my work, I won't do it, and my grades will be worse." Or, if they told me to go to sleep on time, I'd tell them, "I'll wake myself up every day for school. The day I'm late you can start yelling at me again." Then I'd get the perfect attendance award. I would clearly lay out my terms. However, if they continued trying to control me, I'd yell, insult them, lash out, or run away. I always kept a bag packed just in case, and as a warning to them so they knew I meant business. I would not be controlled.

But my parents are both very high-IQ psychiatrists, so I was raised in an analytical environment, and picked up on this to a large degree. Around age 11 I realized I could win a fight with my dad through emotional stonewalling. He had a very strong temper (7w8) and would yell at me, and I'd go into robot mode, and say, calmly, "When you are prepared to have a rational discussion, I am too. For now, I hope you enjoy yelling." Or snarky sarcastic things like that. He would get so frustrated that he couldn't obtain a reaction that he would become more and more angry, slam the door, and leave. Then he would apologize and I would see that I'd won. Techniques like this gave me power, and I started seeing that showing my anger so much would make me vulnerable to "losing" or shooting myself in the foot. I can't control it all the time, and I'm still reactive, but I did some very serious emotional training, starting at a young age. I'd chalk it up to my parents' mindset and my 5-fix.

Savitri

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My anger makes me feel greedy. I've come a long way to be able to control that, but it peaks in moments of weakness.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My anger is explosive and aggressive, consuming. I seek to humilitate, destroy, control, feel powerful, to dominate. Anger makes me feel strong and it's probably one of few emotions that I actively allow myself to experience because again, anger makes me feel strong and powerful, like I am in control.

Nicki

Retired
I can have serious anger problems. When I was younger, I threw/broke things around the house and was very violent. I used to listen to things that I knew would make me angry because I found the intense feeling thrilling. My anger tends to be explosive though. I seem like I'm completely apathetic towards everything for a week or so and then I lose control. I decided to detach myself from situations and ignore people so I haven't lost my temper in a while which I'm very proud of.