• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 6] 6s: easy-going but wound up?

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that my own laid-backness might come partly from being a reasonably (I say reasonably...I'm still fairly neurotic) integrated/well-adjusted 6 - thus bearing some resemblance to a 9. I actually wondered for a long time if I was actually a 9.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I have the belief that truly "wound-up" people have a tendency to invite or create their worst fears, or at the very least not properly prepare themselves for what could truly go wrong.

For me, feeling like I'm aware of the possibilities is enough to allay fear. It's sometimes kind of like taking a twisted sort of pleasure in cynical or dark ideations rather than the more superstitious "worry-wart" behavior (like when, if you fear spiders, you seek them out or watch videos of them in a kind of dark fascination.) If you imagine the worst, there's no need to feel wound up.

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Totally identify with the OP. I'm very laid back in most respects, but there are a few things that get me really anxious and totally inflexible.

That's funny. No, I'm not laid back at all. Pretty type A. Maybe I put on a good act.
I agree with Z -- you come across as very chill personally. Maybe it's just that you tend to handle disagreement calmly and with civility. I think many of us read that as laid back.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
When I met one of my friend's parents, they expressed amusement over my lack of a filter, and loosey-goosey (her words) behaviour.

But they don't get I am saying and doing everything INCREDIBLY self-consciously, and am constantly evaluating and weighing what I can and can't say. I present this facade of guileless verbosity IRL, so people don't realize how much I am hiding/twisting/omitting. I also put myself down and act silly/submissive/friendly so people let down their guard, all the while I never actually let mine down. I am spying on them, more or less. And my more controversial/outrageous statements are usually used to indirectly provoke people into tipping me off as to where they stand on something.

Writing this all out makes me realize how crazy I am. Honestly, I don't think I could stop being so calculating and self-conscious even if I tried. It's great in psychological warfare, but I can't enjoy life. I'm extremely self-conscious about appearing nonchalant.

tommyc

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Thats about right with me. I don't sweat the immediate stuff (money, people annoying me e.t.c). But I will worry intensely about deeper things, like mine and and others psychological well-being, on a daily basis.