• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 5] Type 5's: Do you turn into a hibernating bear under stress?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I do the same thing and I'm not a 5.

What's your mbti type?

I tend to retreat more into my head, and spend a lot of time alone, when I can, under a lot of stress. I attribute this to just introverson moreso than being 5[w6]. I just need to recharge and reflect. I can be slightly more emotionally reactive when I'm that drained, it's easy to lose perspective, but I don't really lash out at people. Because I am aware of this propensity, I try to maintain distance for this reason, as well.

Sometimes I do this 'hibernation' just when I'm drained and not stressed, it's just a matter of recharging overall, just part of my natural rhythm.

I've made it a habit of informing close friends that if I'm distant at certain times, I'm not mad at them, everything's fine, I'm just low-energy/need some time to myself. Most of the time, that clarification clears up any confusion/prevents a lot of uninvited prodding into my life.

I wonder if it's an Ni thing?

give him space. If you realllllllllly want to let him know you care about him being stressed out, you can say something like, ''I don't wanna pry a ton or anything but it seems like there's something bothering you- I'm around if you wanna talk at any point, but if not, that's cool, too.''

and leave it at that. I know ENTPs are always dying to collect more data, but sometimes people need space, and maybe afterwards, they'll talk to you. And maybe sometimes they won't. But it's what they need to deal with their problems, that counts, right?

Yes, perhaps my Ne curiosity gets the best of me.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes and I try my best to do that except with issues with time-constraints like pooling out money to pay bills. That's when problems arise.

Ah, I see.

That is different issue, though.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So what would you recommend doing in that case?

I'm not sure. I've never had a problem taking care of business so I can understand the frustration in dealing with someone who won't. I would sit down with that person, draw up a schedule/calendar of bills, due dates, and expected amounts. That way, it's no longer your responsibility--it's his. He can either do things in a timely manner (barring exceptional circumstances) or find another place to live. This may sound a little harsh but why should you have to stress yourself?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I'm not sure. I've never had a problem taking care of business so I can understand the frustration in dealing with someone who won't. I would sit down with that person, draw up a schedule/calendar of bills, due dates, and expected amounts. That way, it's no longer your responsibility--it's his. He can either do things in a timely manner (barring exceptional circumstances) or find another place to live. This may sound a little harsh but why should you have to stress yourself?

The reason is that I can't survive without him and he can't survive without me right now. We are dependent upon each other's income. It really sucks.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Pretty much, although I think it is perhaps more congruent with introverted thinking in general. 5 and sp as primary instinct can make us really withdrawn though, especially if 5w4.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I just don't know how to deal with him. He's the worst person with communication that I've ever met.

You don't "deal" with them. You leave them alone.

I'm also an SP dom and this shutdown is VERY strong.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Can do. I can also go to the other extreme looking for distraction. I'm not sp primary though.

Iván Elías

I would say: "a time of abstraction to develop a new universe". Depends with the level of stress, and the family core.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sure I guess since lots of times I don't interact much with my friends or for that matter anybody in my life though this is both under stress and in states of pleasure so I would say that this is a universal 5 trait in all natural states of behavior though I don't know what to say about the rare extraverted 5.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sure I guess since lots of times I don't interact much with my friends or for that matter anybody in my life though this is both under stress and in states of pleasure so I would say that this is a universal 5 trait in all natural states of behavior though I don't know what to say about the rare extraverted 5.

Fives draw on the negative energies of 8.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No; but maybe I'm not a 5. When I'm super stressed I get super busy and focused, and then when I'm done I rest and decompress. I welcome people distracting me with their presence and letting me tell them my worries if I feel like it. So kind of opposite I guess. I don't know which number this is. I really just get stressed if I'm in perfectionist mode, so getting busy makes sense.

Grublet

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
AVC
I like to keep to myself and when people barge in or otherwise interrupt my 'me time' I get agitated. I don't mind talking to people if I'm expecting it, but if the phone just randomly rings I usually don't answer it.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I like to keep to myself and when people barge in or otherwise interrupt my 'me time' I get agitated. I don't mind talking to people if I'm expecting it, but if the phone just randomly rings I usually don't answer it.

I doubt you're a 5 though. You seem like a core 6 or a core two. Although I could see you as 6w5 though.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I definitely retreat under stress, but it tends to make me more sleepy and sad than angry.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd say affirmative. I only lash out, if I'm not left alone.