User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    My brother is a type 5 and he seems to retreat, talk to no one, and go into his own little world when he is under stress. It's almost like a bear that goes into hibernation. In addition, if I disturb him when he's in his own little world, then he lashes out at me very angrily? So is this a common 5 reaction? Do the rest of you type 5's do this as well?
    I would say it is an introvert thing. Being under stress means burning energy. Being an introvert means recharging in solitude. The lashing out part probably stems from the fact that you, who should know better than to disturb him, do not know better: a failure on your part but at his expense.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I would say it is an introvert thing. Being under stress means burning energy. Being an introvert means recharging in solitude. The lashing out part probably stems from the fact that you, who should know better than to disturb him, do not know better: a failure on your part but at his expense.
    I just don't know how to deal with him. He's the worst person with communication that I've ever met.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I just don't know how to deal with him. He's the worst person with communication that I've ever met.
    Just let him be.

I definitely do this. People trying to help or approach me before I'm under control or ready are making a mistake. I will eventually talk to someone I trust but until I'm ready (which may be never depending on the issue), it is best to leave me alone.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

To the OP, yes, I absolutely do the hibernation thing and don't want to interact with anyone.

Re. lashing out in anger, I can't say I've done that; however, I've 1) For most of the past 14 years lived alone so it's kind of a moot point, and 2) I think those who do know me well would know to let me be, so I'd never be pestered endlessly in the first place, thus would never reach a point of anger and having to push back.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

WhoCares

Solitude is my default recovery mode. No I don't want well meaning individuals trying to cheer me up either. I just want my recovery time. Someone intruding into that no matter how well intentioned is preventing me from my own recovery process and that's a direct threat and a large annoyance as well.

My brother is a type 5 and he seems to retreat, talk to no one, and go into his own little world when he is under stress. It's almost like a bear that goes into hibernation. In addition, if I disturb him when he's in his own little world, then he lashes out at me very angrily? So is this a common 5 reaction? Do the rest of you type 5's do this as well?
    I do the same thing and I'm not a 5.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I tend to retreat more into my head, and spend a lot of time alone, when I can, under a lot of stress. I attribute this to just introverson moreso than being 5[w6]. I just need to recharge and reflect. I can be slightly more emotionally reactive when I'm that drained, it's easy to lose perspective, but I don't really lash out at people. Because I am aware of this propensity, I try to maintain distance for this reason, as well.

Sometimes I do this 'hibernation' just when I'm drained and not stressed, it's just a matter of recharging overall, just part of my natural rhythm.

I've made it a habit of informing close friends that if I'm distant at certain times, I'm not mad at them, everything's fine, I'm just low-energy/need some time to myself. Most of the time, that clarification clears up any confusion/prevents a lot of uninvited prodding into my life.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

give him space. If you realllllllllly want to let him know you care about him being stressed out, you can say something like, ''I don't wanna pry a ton or anything but it seems like there's something bothering you- I'm around if you wanna talk at any point, but if not, that's cool, too.''

and leave it at that. I know ENTPs are always dying to collect more data, but sometimes people need space, and maybe afterwards, they'll talk to you. And maybe sometimes they won't. But it's what they need to deal with their problems, that counts, right?
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Err. I do this as well. More like a cat cornered, but yes. Do not come into my personal space bubble unless you are my SO and he knows to tread *very* carefully. Im a 4w5 though, but when I do that, it means basically that my emotions at that point are not reigned in. They are raw. That also means that you are an idiot to think you won't get smacked around by them if you deliberately prod me in some way. I isolate myself for your own f*cking benefit so you won't have to deal with this shit. You coming in where you are not invited means Im no longer able nor willing to keep you safe.

Yea this explains it exactly for me...I am an extravert....but my FEELINGS are mostly introverted...and I need to reflect on them and figure them out alone...and don't want to be interrupted...because they are "raw"

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    Just let him be.

I definitely do this. People trying to help or approach me before I'm under control or ready are making a mistake. I will eventually talk to someone I trust but until I'm ready (which may be never depending on the issue), it is best to leave me alone.
    Yes and I try my best to do that except with issues with time-constraints like pooling out money to pay bills. That's when problems arise.