• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 5] Do any other 5s do this?

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Whenever I try to lay down and go to bed, my mind just races because i'm just laying down in a dark room with my thoughts. I usually get up about 3 times before I fall asleep, write myself a note to remind myself to do something tomorrow, and then get back in bed. It takes me about 45 minutes before I finally fall asleep. I find the habit to be a mix of productive and annoying depending on how much sleep I need to catch up on.

Just wondering if anyone else does this and if anyone has any tips on how to fall asleep faster.

Silveresque

Whenever I try to lay down and go to bed, my mind just races because i'm just laying down in a dark room with my thoughts. I usually get up about 3 times before I fall asleep, write myself a note to remind myself to do something tomorrow, and then get back in bed. It takes me about 45 minutes before I finally fall asleep. I find the habit to be a mix of productive and annoying depending on how much sleep I need to catch up on.

Just wondering if anyone else does this and if anyone has any tips on how to fall asleep faster.

I'm not a 5, but I often take a long time to fall asleep as well. How long it takes for me varies (right now it's 20-40 minutes usually), but at one point in my life it was taking me over an hour every night to fall asleep, and some nights it would take up to 3 hours. There are lots of tips online but I assume you've already read those. Anyways, an interesting one I discovered on my own was popcorn. One night I ate a bowl of popcorn and it made me really sleepy, so I was able to get to sleep faster. I looked it up online and other people have said the same thing. It's odd but it works.

G

Glycerine

Yes. I just go to bed when i am too tired to focus on anything.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I take awhile to fall asleep.
I usually fall asleep to mundane cartoons with the volume turned way down, & a sleep timer set to shut the tv off. Anything more interesting would keep me up.
If i'm exhausted beyond belief, I'm likely stressed & prone to overthinking, so I'll attempt to stop myself, turn my mind off, like.. ''you're in no condition to be attempting to think right now, your fatigue is clouding your judgement..'' and I nod off.. chastising myself. :doh:

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have recordings of rain playing on loop. I had to experiment a little but this works well for me. I have used it long enough now that it's a conditioned signal for me to clear my mind and sleep. Having it play in the background just interrupts the thought process for me.

Nicodemus

Audiobooks, knocks me right out.
The same here. I have found that rethinking everything until I am too tired to continue is a waste of time. Listening to books is a wonderful alternative: either you listen and learn or you fall asleep, both of which is good.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Normally I can fall asleep very quickly, but if my head is racing it always helps to write down what's on my mind. Once all the words are out, I'm asleep.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I vary between the extremes between falling asleep immediately after my head hits the bed and getting up tons of times and taking sometimes up to 2 hours to fall asleep.

To fall asleep faster I recommend staying away from caffeine and sugary sweets. Also avoid heavy exercise, overly intense books, movies, etc. Reading something more light can help.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

If you have any stimulants in your system (such as caffeine) when you go to bed it will only make matters worse. And while they don't create the symptoms you describe, they definitely make matters worse and will only mess with your attempts to improve the situation.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7

Yes, I do this, and I'm not a 5 and don't even have a 5 fix.

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have recordings of rain playing on loop. I had to experiment a little but this works well for me. I have used it long enough now that it's a conditioned signal for me to clear my mind and sleep. Having it play in the background just interrupts the thought process for me.

interesting, i'll probably try something like this

Wolfie

MBTI Type
xNxx
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so
Yes. I just go to bed when i am too tired to focus on anything.

Yes! I haven't tried to follow a "bed time" since I was very little. I have had a lot of trouble whenever my responsibilities call on me to be somewhere consistently before 10 AM. I haven't even tried to go to bed at a set time before 1 AM in a VERY long time, (1 AM is often my "set time" because I know that's when I get tired), but I imagine I would react similarly if I did.

madhatter

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

I have this problem. I generally find that listening to music/audio books knocks me right out within 15 minutes.

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're a 6, right? Maybe it's a trait shared by all the head triad types.

Maybe. I thought it was just a type 5 thing because our disintigration point is 7 but I wouldn't be surprised if the whole head triad had sleep problems. If it is the whole head triad why did nobody bring this up before? LOL

W

WALMART

It takes me about 9 seconds to fall asleep. I can do it on command, almost.