• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 5] Do any other 5s do this?

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm a 5 and I have zero trouble sleeping. If anything, I have trouble staying awake :D

Maybe you have too much stress or don't have enough physical activity.

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a 5 and I have zero trouble sleeping. If anything, I have trouble staying awake :D

Maybe you have too much stress or don't have enough physical activity.

lol :p physical activity isn't a problem I don't think, I try to stay active and I think I do a good job of it. It's just when i'm laying awake with just my thoughts,

Its like "dude, i never thought about this before, i should try it. ugh, look at the time, ill just make a note for myself tomorrow then lay awake and imagine what it'll be like once I start this" *creates entire virtual world in head instead of sleeping*

Musicallogic

MBTI Type
INTP
I distract myself with something like an online forum until I am too tired to think. :newwink: Then I fall asleep right away. It helps that I love mornings (I'm cranky if I don't wake up before 7am) With my various horrible, part-time jobs, I've had a chance to study how I sleep. If for some reason I end up in a "wake late fall asleep late" schedule I just have to reset. I find that setting a new schedule really sucks for a week, but then if I am up early my brain is to tired to keep racing at night

A

Anew Leaf

Whenever I try to lay down and go to bed, my mind just races because i'm just laying down in a dark room with my thoughts. I usually get up about 3 times before I fall asleep, write myself a note to remind myself to do something tomorrow, and then get back in bed. It takes me about 45 minutes before I finally fall asleep. I find the habit to be a mix of productive and annoying depending on how much sleep I need to catch up on.

Just wondering if anyone else does this and if anyone has any tips on how to fall asleep faster.

I don't get much sleep period because of this.

Not a pure five, but I definitely relate to these.

I have to distract myself into falling asleep. I have to be 100% physically exhausted before that trumps my brain. I can be so tired I can't get out of bed but I still won't be able to sleep because my mind doesn't seem to "Wake up" until everything is silent and I can completely ignore my physical surroundings.

The best I have managed to do is have sleep meds as a back up, and I listen to some kind of music or white noise.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have a terrible time getting to sleep. I'd like to be able to soothe and rock my brain to sleep.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Whenever I try to lay down and go to bed....
Personally, what I've done is stopped "trying," and let sleep take my brain down while on the run. :D Like what [MENTION=16164]Wolfie[/MENTION] said, the thinking-about-it makes it difficult. Almost every night, I fall asleep at this computer instead of in my bed. :ninja: And half of the time, I wake up on the bed anyway. Actually, half of the time, it's because when I'm starting to feel heavily tired, I go over to my bed "just to rest for a few minutes," not fully conscious, which ends up turning into half a night long. (I forgot about that until now, because it's usually not something I plan.) This does present a problem with alarm clocks and wake-up times, however. That part takes a while/ requires certain circumstances to balance well.

Background noise helps a little, too.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Whenever I try to lay down and go to bed, my mind just races because i'm just laying down in a dark room with my thoughts. I usually get up about 3 times before I fall asleep, write myself a note to remind myself to do something tomorrow, and then get back in bed. It takes me about 45 minutes before I finally fall asleep. I find the habit to be a mix of productive and annoying depending on how much sleep I need to catch up on.

Just wondering if anyone else does this and if anyone has any tips on how to fall asleep faster.

I have the same problem. I believe it's either 2 reasons for me: 1) Because I don't lay down without any distractions at all throughout the day. So I have so much to think about and need to write it all down, and don't want to forget it so I let my mind keep going. or 2) because I'm anxious...anyways...either way to get you to sleep whether you want to or not if you juice a green apple, 2 celery sticks, and 10 lettuce leaves you will probably fall asleep within 15-30 mins. It works everytime for me :) the celery calms your mind and body lol :D

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, when I am in bed, I come up with a ton of ideas for stories and art. Or may just reflect upon my day. The good and the bad that happens. The thoughts may be at a quick, rapid pace. It may take me a little while to get to sleep and I wake up at least once in the middle of the night. I am also an early riser. It is one time when I cope with things. I also try to come up with ideas for dreams. They may not always translate into my dreams as far as I am conscious but doing it helps me get to sleep. I also think about potential plans for the next day and the new things I have learned. A good portion of the thoughts at this time lie in the fantasy realm.

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I too have difficulties sleeping. It takes me long to fall asleep and I often find myself awake in the middle of the night. I tend to rehash previous experiences during these hours or think about the future.

When my job forces me to wake up earlier than usual it really screws up my rhythm for days.

I guess its a problem for a lot of overthinkers, fives included.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I too have difficulties sleeping. It takes me long to fall asleep and I often find myself awake in the middle of the night. I tend to rehash previous experiences during these hours or think about the future.

When my job forces me to wake up earlier than usual it really screws up my rhythm for days.

I guess its a problem for a lot of overthinkers, fives included.
I don't usually have trouble, but when I do it is at the worst possible time. These are occasions when I am up too late taking care of last minute things as before an overseas trip, and I have to get up very early. The already limited sleeping hours are further depleted by this lying awake with my mind racing. I am sure it is related to stress.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have trained myself to fall asleep (as long as there is no one snoring or making noise) when my brain is like this. The key is to trick your body into sleeping, even if your mind doesn't want to sleep. It will actually make you fall asleep without realizing it. Just lay down with your eyes closed, and do NOT move as much as possible and take slow and deep breaths. I like to daydream when I am doing this, and before I know it I already lost consciousness in the middle of a daydream. Side effects may includes astral projection, remote viewing, and hypnagogic hallucinations.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Not a five but yes, I have trouble sleeping for various reasons and this is one of them.

My husband IS a 5 and sometimes will keep me up and 3-4 am just ...talking about really stupid shit.

What is sleep?

Seriously, I have a horrible time with getting quality sleep. I never feel truly rested.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have trouble sleeping from time to time, and sometimes I don't sleep at all.
I already can't fall asleep quickly / immediately to begin with.

It's like, sometimes my brain won't shut up, so I have to exhaust it- with anything. Lying and trying to be still is torture, my mind just gets louder.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I'm not a 5 but I definitely have a 5-ish quality mentally. This isn't as big of a problem as it used to be, but now I tend to wake up at some point and have difficulty falling back asleep (as opposed to not falling asleep upon lying down). I'm usually bothered with material thoughts and how I'm not dealing with them properly (like bills or health or relationship problems or bleak future, etc). It can be a hassle because I don't want to strategize or internally berate myself in the middle of the fucking night.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Correct. I find it really hard to sleep because my mind is always racing. Lying still is torture so I have to drown it with stimulus relaxing or otherwise, usually a balance of both. Entertaining, relaxing, or information ramblings to listen to. Youtube, watch streams, asmr, podcasts, ambience, or whatever. Idk how anyone can stand being in silence doing nothing but drifting to sleep.