• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 6] Type 6w7 vs. 7w6 concrete differences.

What core type do you think I am?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 42.9%

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I can't tell if I'm 6w7 or 7w6. If 6 was blue and 7 was red, then I would be purple. How do you differentiate a 6w7 and 7w6?

SoraMayhem

defying your expectations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I can't tell if I'm 6w7 or 7w6. If 6 was blue and 7 was red, then I would be purple. How do you differentiate a 6w7 and 7w6?

Off the top of my head, I'd say that a 6w7 would be more likely to have this question than a 7w6.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Off the top of my head, I'd say that a 6w7 would be more likely to have this question than a 7w6.

I could see a 7 with a strong 6 wing very likely to ask this question as well.

EDIT: [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] what do you think?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I could see a 7 with a strong 6 wing very likely to ask this question as well.
EDIT: [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] what do you think?

I could see either honestly. have you read the 7 and 6 descriptions from that Enneagram Made Easy book at your house

Edit: one thing that might help
- 6 is the most conscientious type on the enneagram
- 7 is the least conscientious type on the enneagram

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'd say the most clean-cut difference is outlook. 6 is fundamentally pessimistic; 7 is fundamentally optimistic - even though both may be bubbly and future-oriented. 6 is the troubleshooter while 7 is the escapist.

Real life example - every Thursday at work, our manager posts our schedules for the coming week. Some people are excited to see the schedule - to learn when they will be making money and when they will have time free. I am invariably nervous about the schedule. Will I have the days off I was hoping for? Will I have enough hours? Will I be scheduled to work any nights, I told her I wouldn't work nights, but she seemed upset with me earlier and she could be punishing me? I have had to train myself to not freak out and get angry about the schedule before the schedule is even posted. That's how the 6 idea-path works. It highlights potential trouble-spots and begins working on how to address them.

enneagraminstitute said:
Sixes make their internal stability dependent on the stability of their external environment: in other words, as long as everything in their lives is running reasonably well, they feel secure and able to cope with things. As soon as problems or areas of uncertainty arise, however, they are quickly thrown into a storm of confusion and emotional reactions.

Whereas the 7's fear is not about external deprivation, but internal deprivation, and as such they see the external world as the place of possibilities and hope. A 7 may respond to a work schedule (oh no, 35 hours of being trapped) by thinking about all the ways they can fill their free time that don't involve the boredom of work, or how they can make each day a little different, or how they're going on a trip soon, and so on. 7 is more about grappling with the fear of being limited, of not being free to pursue whatever engages the mind next.

The problem is that the more Sevens fill up their minds anticipating the fun they will have in the future, the less they are in touch with whatever experience they are having in the present. Consequently, the experience they are currently having cannot really affect them, cannot really satisfy them. This is like the person who has always wanted to see the pyramids in Egypt, and after much anticipation, finally embarks on a trip to see them. However, on arriving at the pyramids, the person is anticipating an exciting dinner in Cairo that night, or perhaps thinking about showing friends back home their pictures of the trip, and so "misses" seeing the pyramids. The person’s attention is elsewhere, no on the experience that they are having. Naturally, this decreases the enjoyment of the experience, leaving the Seven hungry for more.

As enjoyment decreases, average Sevens feel anxious and insecure, leading them to overdo their activities all the more.

It's ironic because both the pessimism and optimism totally overshoot realism. Both of them - and this is the problem of the entire thinking triad - are spending more time in their heads than in actually feeling or being.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION]

Yeah I know, I could see myself as either as well

[MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION]

I related to both of those descriptions.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

I related to both of those descriptions.

Have you read this before?

enneagraminstitute.com said:
Misidentifying Sixes and Sevens

Sixes and Sevens can be mistyped when there is confusion between main type and wing: that is, between a Six with a Seven-wing and a Seven with a Six-wing. Both are Thinking types, and both are driven by anxiety, although they cope with their anxious feelings in strikingly different ways. Sixes tend to react to their anxiety by fretting and becoming more anxious. They may react counterphobically by reacting against their fears, but react they do. Further, anxiety tends to make Sixes more pessimistic and negative about themselves and their prospects. They can be full of self-doubt, while being suspicious of the motives of others.

Sevens, by contrast are extremely optimistic, and react to anxiety by looking for enjoyable distractions. Sevens suppress their self-doubt as much as possible, and try to keep everything upbeat. Sevens tend to deny the dark corners of their souls, sixes tend to get stuck in them. Sixes, however, have a heightened sense of responsibility and do not allow themselves to "goof off" until all of their obligations have been met. Sevens, for better or for worse, are far more spontaneous, and resist having too many expectations placed on them. They want to be free to come and go as they please, and find the Six's persistent sense of commitment potentially limiting and dull. Sixes tend to find the Seven's lifestyle flighty and irresponsible. In short, sixes seek out structure and guidelines: Sevens resist both. Compare David Letterman (a Six) with Jim Carey (a Seven).

Return to Top

I personally relate more to 6 because I:
- Do tend to ruminate on the "dark corners of my soul". I am very moody, and almost all of my negative moods include (or stem from) anxiety.
- Have a very strong sense of responsibility (with the caveat that my sense of responsibility, as an ExFP, rests mainly in terms of my understanding of what I must get done so I don't burden others. Past that, I will goof off.)
- I do constantly seek commitment, even though it also unnerves me.
- I do seek structure and guidelines - but (esp. as an ENFP) I am very adamant that structured hierarchies are structured to give people stability without limiting fairness or opportunity for fulfillment, and that they are always seeking better arrangements.

And then there's this:

7Board.jpg

vs.

6Board.jpg

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I can tell a big difference between myself and a true 7. I'm a lot more cautious and introverted, but I tend to take these big leaps of escape or can come across as being "rock star" if I feel like it.

Someone who really knows you would be able to tell the difference. With me, only OTHER PEOPLE WHO DIDN'T KNOW ME WELL would mistake me for a 7. Me or someone intimate with me would never mistake me for a 7.

A 6w7 may have big escapist optimistic moments or seem to other people to be carefree, but they would know to themselves and people who were familiar with their real anxiety and negativity would never make such an error.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As a 7 I just assume the schedule is going to be perfect and everything will be fantastic!
So much so that it's already truth in my head.

If its not after I look... Then I wonder this and that and get all ansty and stressed until I spin it into some amazing perfect thing that I had no idea was actually the better scenario!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I personally relate more to 6 because I:
- Do tend to ruminate on the "dark corners of my soul". I am very moody, and almost all of my negative moods include (or stem from) anxiety.
- Have a very strong sense of responsibility (with the caveat that my sense of responsibility, as an ExFP, rests mainly in terms of my understanding of what I must get done so I don't burden others. Past that, I will goof off.)
- I do constantly seek commitment, even though it also unnerves me.
- I do seek structure and guidelines - but (esp. as an ENFP) I am very adamant that structured hierarchies are structured to give people stability without limiting fairness or opportunity for fulfillment, and that they are always seeking better arrangements.

And then there's this:

7Board.jpg

vs.

6Board.jpg

Yeah as a P I don't really like structure at all...but there's this part of me that looooongs for other people to create it: a very J-ish boyfriend or even SJ friends, I look to others to have some structure for me to return to when I am frightened, I just can't be permanently "out there" with no structure, I must have "the other" to turn to for my "safety net." I am such a six it fits me to a T.

I also seek a kind of "relaxed commitment" as a 6w7. I want people who are dependable in my life, I even have had more than one group of friends that I called "family," but they also can't hem me in. I want you to know I am loyal, and to know that you are loyal, but that you aren't going to trap me or stop me from doing my thing. Hold on loosely, but don't let go, to quote Steely Dan .38 special :D

I also relate to to "Rebel with a Cause" and "Leap of Faith" in that collage up there.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think 7's are much more free spirited overall. When thinking about all the potentials, more like, "how can I make the most of this world with activity and fun and stimulation and be free of commitments", plain and simple. For me, it's like I want that too, but I first want that way of relating to the world or something. Just the feeling like everything is right and not my brain stemming off in all different directions first. Because that direction can be everywhere as a super-head type. I think 7's have a bit of that too, but aren't as concerned about it, or maybe just not a focus on that part of it. We can drown in good and bad potentials, sometimes the bad potentials holding us back. Outwardly? I think that 7w6's are nervous but more free, fun, maybe a little less responsible in their quests... 6's, just a little more skepticism from the confusion in our heads I suppose, a little more likely to think on the negative side of things. I'm just rambling but that's some of my guess.

I tend to just like some constants in my life, I stay at jobs, I don't like moving, I try to hold on to friends and support systems. It's like if there are certain constants in place in the background than I can feel like I can branch out a little bit in my day to day activities. I know a lot of people like the above things but I, (and I suspect some other sixes) just have an extreme fear of losing those things so there is like a huge section of our brains devoted to holding onto some constants.

7's are always looking for more so they'd be more outwardly changing things up a lot.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
yeah, it's like you really want an anchor, even though you like floating free for short periods of time. but too much freedom is scary... i need footing...

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7

Misidentifying Sixes and Sevens

Sixes and Sevens can be mistyped when there is confusion between main type and wing: that is, between a Six with a Seven-wing and a Seven with a Six-wing. Both are Thinking types, and both are driven by anxiety, although they cope with their anxious feelings in strikingly different ways. Sixes tend to react to their anxiety by fretting and becoming more anxious. They may react counterphobically by reacting against their fears, but react they do. Further, anxiety tends to make Sixes more pessimistic and negative about themselves and their prospects. They can be full of self-doubt, while being suspicious of the motives of others.

Sevens, by contrast are extremely optimistic, and react to anxiety by looking for enjoyable distractions. Sevens suppress their self-doubt as much as possible, and try to keep everything upbeat. Sevens tend to deny the dark corners of their souls, sixes tend to get stuck in them. Sixes, however, have a heightened sense of responsibility and do not allow themselves to "goof off" until all of their obligations have been met. Sevens, for better or for worse, are far more spontaneous, and resist having too many expectations placed on them. They want to be free to come and go as they please, and find the Six's persistent sense of commitment potentially limiting and dull. Sixes tend to find the Seven's lifestyle flighty and irresponsible. In short, sixes seek out structure and guidelines: Sevens resist both. Compare David Letterman (a Six) with Jim Carey (a Seven).

I relate to all of the bolded. When under pressure I do kind of think automatically that things are going to hell. I worry and worry until I'm blue in the face. However, at the same time, I also escape my problems with strong hedonism, and often times deny that I am having a problem at all. Many times I just want to pretend that life is great even when it sucks. That's why I'm on this site right now, because my life sucks and I need distractions. I also feel social obligations to my friends and family and would put those obligations above hedonism if need be. However, at the same time, I hate obligations in general and avoid them whenever possible. I want to keep things as open and as free as possible. The more open my options are the better. In addition, I hate a dull and boring life as well. Another thing that I should point out is that I am often suspicious of others motives as well, and am constantly making back up plans in case things go to hell.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

I relate to all of the bolded. When under pressure I do kind of think automatically that things are going to hell. I worry and worry until I'm blue in the face. However, at the same time, I also escape my problems with strong hedonism, and often times deny that I am having a problem at all. Many times I just want to pretend that life is great even when it sucks. That's why I'm on this site right now, because my life sucks and I need distractions. I also feel social obligations to my friends and family and would put those obligations above hedonism if need be. However, at the same time, I hate obligations in general and avoid them whenever possible. I want to keep things as open and as free as possible. The more open my options are the better. In addition, I hate a dull and boring life as well. Another thing that I should point out is that I am often suspicious of others motives as well, and am constantly making back up plans in case things go to hell.

Well, you are Ne dominant, after all, and you seem strongly Ne (which would be supported by your NeFe status, making you all the more E, making you all the more P). So it's unsurprising that you have a certain degree of hate for obligations. I can too, depending on what they are. What I hate is obligations when they take away time from potential opportunities (I used to feel it SUPER strongly when I had an intense crush and then scheduling would limit the amount of time i could potentially spend with said crush). And I hate dull and boring too!

You sound quite 6, really, though.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well, you are Ne dominant, after all, and you seem strongly Ne (which would be supported by your NeFe status, making you all the more E, making you all the more P). So it's unsurprising that you have a certain degree of hate for obligations. I can too, depending on what they are. What I hate is obligations when they take away time from potential opportunities (I used to feel it SUPER strongly when I had an intense crush and then scheduling would limit the amount of time i could potentially spend with said crush). And I hate dull and boring too!

I agree that he seems like a 6, because he's much much touchier than E7 ENTPs I've encountered, I've never known an ENTP who *I* could torment, who didn't torment me first or at least in return.

So maybe it's because he's a reactive, anxious 6. *shrug*

Note that I say this because he apparently has been offended by things I've said and done, which I would normally expect an ENTP to either take with a grain of salt, or fight back with playfully and perhaps scornfully.

I'm hard pressed to think of another ENTP who threatened to put me on ignore.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7

Yeah, I sound very 6 when I think about it.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm I wonder if I'm a 6...
I can't possibly be tho... Right? I mean... I feel very 7 but I'm super mega reactive... Like annoyingly so...or... It just annoys me so much that I'm hyper aware of myself doing it... Idk
Fuck the enneagram it keeps confusing me.

Last edited:

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Hmm I wonder if I'm a 6...
I can't possibly be tho... Right? I mean... I feel very 7 but I'm super mega reactive... Like annoyingly so...or... It just annoys me so much that I'm hyper aware if myself doing it... Idk
Fuck the enneagram it keeps confusing me.

Join the club sister

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
6w7s can be externally happy, but tend to sabote their success, acting more easily when circumstances seem clearly against them.
7w6s can be externally insecures and moody, but they rush after success which doesn't cost too much efforts.

Starry

Yeah, I sound very 6 when I think about it.

Have you created more than one of these threads? Because I feel like I've responded to you about this before but I'm not seeing my response here.
Ahhh...okay...so anyway fwiw Great One...I think you are an ENTP and an e7.

I've read bits and pieces all over the internet with regards to wings...and it appears that your wing can become 'exaggerated' after experiencing trauma or depression, etc. and I believe this may be what has happened to you. At least this is what happened to me. I had learned about enneagram after having experienced way too many back-to-back traumatic life experiences that I subsequently believed I was a CP 6w7 instead of a 7w6. And it took some time too... I needed to get some distance between me and the depression in order to see that e6 really wasn't who I was...who I truly was at my core (who I had been prior to my bad state). In other words my 6 wing was over-expressing itself during a period of major stress. Again...this is just my opinion of what I believe is going on with you. It is my opinion that you operate more like an e7. You seem more like an e7...at least on the internet...at your core.