• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 6] Type 6 - Have You Been In Serious Denial?

Have You Been In Serious Denial About Being A 6?

• No - I'm a 6w7 and an NF

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • No - I'm a 6w7 and an NT

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - I'm a 6w7 and an SP

• No - I'm a 6w7 and an SJ

• Yes - I'm a 6w7 and an NF

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Yes - I'm a 6w7 and an NT

• Yes - I'm a 6w7 and an SP

• Yes - I'm a 6w7 and an SJ

• No - I'm a 6w5 and an NF

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • No - I'm a 6w5 and an NT

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • No - I'm a 6w5 and an SP

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • No - I'm a 6w5 and an SJ

• Yes - I'm a 6w5 and an NF

• Yes - I'm a 6w5 and an NT

• Yes - I'm a 6w5 and an SP

• Yes - I'm a 6w5 and an SJ

• Total voters

Sneaky Bastard

MBTI Type
ARGH
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My assumption is that 6w7s who're not SJs usually go through a long stage of serious denial of their true type because they just can't relate to the descriptions ect.

6w5s and 6w7s who're SJs on the other hand are much more likely to be able to relate to type 6 descriptions and accept 6 as their type - which doesn't mean they cannot question being a 6 after finding out. But they usually don't go through that stage of serious denial.

I'd like to find out if I'm correct in my assumption.

Last edited by a moderator:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My assumption is that 6w7s who're not SJs usually go through a long stage of serious denial of their true type because they just can't relate to the descriptions ect.

6w5s and 6w7s who're SJs on the other hand are much more likely to be able to relate to type 6 descriptions and accept 6 as their type - which doesn't mean they cannot question being a 6 after finding out. But they usually don't go through that stage of serious denial.

I'd like to find out if I'm correct in my assumption.

No denial, but it did take me a long time to figure it out. I kept coming up with 8s when I took the tests.

Sneaky Bastard

MBTI Type
ARGH
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No denial, but it did take me a long time to figure it out. I kept coming up with 8s when I tool the tests.
\

Haha... yeah... no wonder looking at your tritype. :popc1:

I still keep coming out as a strong 4 on tests even though I know perfectly well that I'm not and I answer all questions in all honesty. I had a hard time finding out and accepting I'm not a 4 and that I don't even have it in my tritype. Ooooh... did I feel misunderstood by people who tried to type me! :laugh:

SoraMayhem

defying your expectations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I was convinced I was a 4w5 for about a year, but after learning about the true motivations in the enneagram, I realized that 6 far more accurately explains who I am and have always been. I also have a theory that counter-phobic type 6s tend not to recognize themselves as such.

Sneaky Bastard

MBTI Type
ARGH
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I also have a theory that counter-phobic type 6s tend not to recognize themselves as such.

Yeah, true. They often seem to think they're 8s.

When I read what you said I thought that I should have included it. But maybe this while thing would have become to complex...

But somehow I think that phobia/counterphobia as such is already influenced by other things like tritype and instinct...though considering my full Etype I should be 100% phobic. But then again, I tend to vaccilate quite a lot between being phobic and being counter-phobic. So I personally haven't been able to observe a reliable pattern yet that would make it possible for me to make a poll about it. :mellow:

SoraMayhem

defying your expectations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yeah, true. They often seem to think they're 8s.

When I read what you said I thought that I should have included it. But maybe this while thing would have become to complex...

But somehow I think that phobia/counterphobia as such is already influenced by other things like tritype and instinct...though considering my full Etype I should be 100% phobic. But then again, I tend to vaccilate quite a lot between being phobic and being counter-phobic. So I personally haven't been able to observe a reliable pattern yet that would make it possible for me to make a poll about it. :mellow:

Honestly, it's my experience that phobic/counter-phobic relies on whether or not your primary judging function is introverted or extraverted. Fi and Ti tend to be counter-phobic, and the opposite goes for Fe and Te. :shrug: Just speaking in generalities.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ni would seem to prohibit 100% phobia.

I wouldn't say I was in denial, because I don't think I was (sub)consciously trying to avoid being a 6, but I do think I genuinely didn't relate to 6 descriptions for a long time. I was stuck between 4w3 and 3w4 for a long time, having always tested as 7w6 but recognizing that I was not a 7. I just passed over 6 because it really didn't sound like me.

I would say that I am a fairly balanced phobic-counterphobic split. I was quite phobic as a child (with bouts of counterphobia, of course) and quite counterphobic during my teenage years, and I seem to have settled a bit since then. :laugh:

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Not really. I'm not into Enneagram very much. I just took the test, read a description and agreed for the most part. I'm man enough to own up to my shortcomings.

Phoenix

MBTI Type
XNTX
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For me it was the other way round. I was so sure and arrogant I was a Type 6 that I over-looked the fact that I could be another type because I was too busy deceiving myself and others that I was a Type 6 :D

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think there was some denial but not SERIOUS denial. It was something like "uhhh...I'm not a 4? And I'm an INFJ? Really? Uh oh. It's sounding more and more like I'm a 6, and that seems to have negative connotations." Then, on looking into it further, I gradually came round to it because...it just fit. The way INFJ and type 6 dovetail just fits me really, really well.

Some of the 6 descriptions, and the general view of 6s, can be quite negative, and that doesn't help. But I'm pretty much settled on it now and it has helped. It explains quite a lot and points to some things I need to work on.

I did waffle between 6 and 9 quite a bit - or, well, most of that time I thought I was probably 6, but seriously considered 9 as well. But increasingly it seems that 6 fits well. So I'm not sure I'd call it denial.

Btw, I doubt that any human being would be completely phobic or completely counter-phobic. It just seems so unbalanced as to be impossible. I would identify mainly as phobic, but I can definitely see the counterphobic, as well. I also find that although 6w5 probably fits me better, I identify a good deal with 6w7, too.

The problem with enneagram, as has been mentioned before, is that the type descriptions can vary so enormously. They vary a bit with MBTI but not so much. But you could get a completely different picture of one type from reading different descriptions. Not sure if that's down to instinctual variants, etc or if it's down to flakiness..

Jonathan

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Honestly, it's my experience that phobic/counter-phobic relies on whether or not your primary judging function is introverted or extraverted. Fi and Ti tend to be counter-phobic, and the opposite goes for Fe and Te. :shrug: Just speaking in generalities.

From what I've seen, a lot of 6s ETJs(especially ENTJs) are counter-phobic, so I don't know how much a correlation there is.:shrug:

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wasn't really in denial, it just took me a while to understand Enneagram enough to figure it out. I had the same issue with the MBTI as well.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I may still be in denial. I've gone from thinking I was 5w4 to 5w6 and then finally to 8w9, yet there are problems with all of those and I feel like I'm not being honest with myself. I think perhaps I'm a cp 6w5 confusing my cp-ness for being an 8 (and rationalizing that 5 away as being a sign that I'm moving towards the 8's unhealthy 5 disintegration point.) Oh well.

Mia.

From what I've seen, a lot of 6s ETJs(especially ENTJs) are counter-phobic, so I don't know how much a correlation there is.:shrug:

I don't know the data, but that makes sense. My ESTJ is cp 6. I mistook him for an 8 when I was first learning about enneagram, and I think most people who know him doing a skimming of enneagram would type him as 8. His aggression is reactionary, though, and comes from a nervous energy.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
In my case, dear me no.

I loved the first time someone suggested 6w7 for me. It actually fits!! Something that actually fits!!. For once there was something I could actually look at and go: Hey that sounds right and makes sense.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, definite denial. Very anxious six, and a self preservationer, wing 7, and phobic to boot. So not a very adventurous NF, and probably the worst type enneagram-wise. Because of this combination I walk around worrying about the weirdest things... "the trees going to fall on my house! The house is going to flood! I'm going to lose my job! What was that look they gave me? What did I do wrong? It's an electrical fire in the walls! Now I'm having a seizure!" It's so embarrassing, actually, I was in complete denial for the longest time and that made the situation 10X worse. And my perception of myself changes constantly. I was totally clueless that I could be a six.. Not just denial, just clueless all together. Didn't get it, didn't relate... Now it's just funny and I can make fun of myself about it.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Maybe not in denial about the type per se, but certainly in denial about the core fear and constant anxiety that influenced my personality.