• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 6] 6s Not Quickly Figuring Out Their Type

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I just don't think that I'm ESFJ though. If I was ESFJ, I would blow my brains out.

That is completely irrational, and it's also a fairly good indication that even if you were an ESFJ you wouldn't accept it.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I thought I was a four just because I didn't know about enneagram, same with thinking I was an NF. Actually I FINALLY READ ABOUT 6, I was like, OMGZ THIS IS ME!

A friend in vent suggested it, and I'd never even considered it, or read that much about enneagram, and I was surprised how much it fit me. SimulatedWorld also suggested that I was a 7w6 like him before that, and 7 didn't seem quite right (and JTG agreed) and 6w7 fit perfectly...especially after people on an enneagram site informed me that 6w7 and 4w3 is a very common mix up.

I also think a lot of Fi types may think they are 4s.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Just like the fact that you're really a mistyped ExFP, not an IxFP?

I am open to the possibility of being an ESFP (I'm typed as Performer on the Keirsey site) and I've actually typed myself on here as ENFP in the past. I don't take any issue with being any type, and I've never said I'd blow my brains out if I were such-and-such type.

You, on the other hand, are being irrational.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I thought I was a four just because I didn't know about enneagram, same with thinking I was an NF. Actually I FINALLY READ ABOUT 6, I was like, OMGZ THIS IS ME!

A friend in vent suggested it, and I'd never even considered it, or read that much about enneagram, and I was surprised how much it fit me. SimulatedWorld also suggested that I was a 7w6 like him before that, and 7 didn't seem quite right (and JTG agreed) and 6w7 fit perfectly...especially after people on an enneagram site informed me that 6w7 and 4w3 is a very common mix up.

I also think a lot of Fi types may think they are 4s.

Don't listen to simulated world. That guy had me convinced that I was ENFP for a long time, when I'm Fe as hell.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I am open to the possibility of being an ESFP (I'm typed as Performer on the Keirsey site) and I've actually typed myself on here as ENFP in the past. I don't take any issue with being any type, and I've never said I'd blow my brains out if I were such-and-such type.

You, on the other hand, are being irrational.

You're Te is ridiculously strong. You are ridiculously opinionated and are very aggressive about publicly stating your beliefs. You are Fi<Te as hell. ISFP's in general are not that aggressive about stating their beliefs.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You're Te is ridiculously strong. You are ridiculously opinionated and are very aggressive about publicly stating your beliefs. You are Fi<Te as hell. ISFP's in general are not that aggressive about stating their beliefs.

Well let's talk about your irrational aversion to being ESFJ. It's not healthy to say you'd kill yourself if you were ANY type. My ex is an ESFJ and he's incredibly smart, he's stored numerous facts since he was 7 years old about world cinema and underground horror, to the point that he could probably teach a class or two on the history of film - on his own, without formal education - and has a very highly developed sense of aesthetics.

Being an ESFJ isn't a death sentence, and you cannot help what type you are, you are what you are. There is no good or bad type, there's only what you are.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Don't listen to simulated world. That guy had me convinced that I was ENFP for a long time, when I'm Fe as hell.

Do you think there's a possibility that you're ExFJ then?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Well let's talk about your irrational aversion to being ESFJ. It's not healthy to say you'd kill yourself if you were ANY type. My ex is an ESFJ and he's incredibly smart, he's stored numerous facts since he was 7 years old about world cinema and underground horror, to the point that he could probably teach a class or two on the history of film - on his own, without formal education - and has a very highly developed sense of aesthetics.

Being an ESFJ isn't a death sentence, and you cannot help what type you are, you are what you are. There is no good or bad type, there's only what you are.

Really? I'm ESFJ? If I was ESFJ, then I'm pretty damn sure that I wouldn't have been banned from PerC for sexual harassment. I also have never seen an Fe dom, who openly posts sexual humor all the time either. I don't act like a standard ESFJ at all. Also, the fact that you keep picking up the logical inconsistencies of my statements just reinforces my theory that you are actually a mistyped ESFP or ENFP.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Really? I'm ESFJ? If I was ESFJ, then I'm pretty damn sure that I wouldn't have been banned from PerC for sexual harassment. I also have never seen an Fe dom, who openly posts sexual humor all the time either. I don't act like a standard ESFJ at all. Also, the fact that you keep picking up the logical inconsistencies of my statements just reinforces my theory that you are actually a mistyped ESFP or ENFP.

Okay, so I'm an ESFP. Big effing deal. I love Edie Sedgwick and Zelda Fitzgerald, I'd be proud to be one. So anyway...back to you...I never said you were ESFJ, I said it's unhealthy and irrational (mostly irrational) to say you'd kill yourself if you were any type.

Though I agree with you most Fe doms would find sexual harassment entirely inappropriate, including my ex as punk rock as he thinks he is, he'd probably say you were a scumbag.

I think you're some kind of ExxP type. I don't have any investment in typing you though.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Okay, so I'm an ESFP. Big effing deal. I love Edie Sedgwick and Zelda Fitzgerald, I'd be proud to be one. So anyway...back to you...I never said you were ESFJ, I said it's unhealthy and irrational (mostly irrational) to say you'd kill yourself if you were any type.

Though I agree with you most Fe doms would find sexual harassment entirely inappropriate, including my ex as punk rock as he thinks he is, he'd probably say you were a scumbag.

I think you're some kind of ExxP type. I don't have any investment in typing you though.

The only other type that I could possibly see myself as would be ESTP with a heavy Fe, and Ni. That is highly unlikely though.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The only other type that I could possibly see myself as would be ESTP with a heavy Fe, and Ni. That is highly unlikely though.

I could see you as ESTP. You're very proud of being vulgar and shocking people, which could be immature Se/Fe.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
I'm a 6w5, and it took me a long time to settle between 6w5 and 5w6. Looking back, I think it's a little silly that I thought I might've been a 5. But I also think there's a lot of bias in favor of the 5 type online. *shrug* Maybe.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm a 6w5, and it took me a long time to settle between 6w5 and 5w6. Looking back, I think it's a little silly that I thought I might've been a 5. But I also think there's a lot of bias in favor of the 5 type online. *shrug* Maybe.

I agree that there is bias toward 5 on line. And also 4 and 9.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Definitely took me a while to decide on six, and I would guess indecisiveness plays a role in that. I'm looking forward to seeing what others think as well.

I have a friend who tests as a 6, but at first just thought of it as indecisiveness. That could get in the way

I have always tested as a six and fit the profile. But I have doubted it a number of times as well. I think sixes often doubt their type, just as we doubt most everything.

Yeah, indecisiveness and doubting. But on external terms, I think 6 profiles can tend to revolve around the more STJ 6, or the hyper-phobic, 1-like "prussian" 6.

I'm a 6. I know that for sure though for a year or so, I thought I was an 8. I don't really understand all of this "indecisiveness" talk. I don't think that is the central characteristic of a 6 - to be indecisive.

The reason 6s have a hard time identifying their type is because there are so many conflicting aspects to their personality and because 6 is the most complex Enneagram personality type to comprehend. This statement from Don Riso sums it up.

"They are both strong and weak, fearful and courageous, trusting and distrusting, defenders and provokers, sweet and sour, aggressive and passive, bullies and weaklings, on the defensive and on the offensive, thinkers and doers, group people and soloists, believers and doubters, cooperative and obstructionistic, tender and mean, generous and petty—and on and on. It is the contradictory picture that is the characteristic “fingerprint” of Sixes, the fact that they are a bundle of opposites."

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I could see you as ESTP. You're very proud of being vulgar and shocking people, which could be immature Se/Fe.

The only thing I can't see with ESTP is that my Ne is hella strong, I have almost no awareness of my outer surroundings, and I am very future oriented. I once made a thread about this on PerC and [MENTION=15974]khys[/MENTION] amongst many other SP's told me point blank that I am not an SP.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I had the same typing problem as many of the non SJ posters here do. The commonly established e6 manifestations (are they even common?) are more often than not, not the ways it works for me. But the motivation and fear is there, with traces of e3 motivations and fears as well. I now have a whole new appreciation for the subtleties of fixation, and (for me) the 6's fixation was not very obvious because much like ones dominant cognitive function I kept looking for it through the filter, not realizing it IS the filter. Moving outside of that is incredibly difficult, requires tremendous self awareness and the ability to, with clarity, set some type of external reference to compare to. Anyhow, before I started to seriously entertain the 6 typing I did see patterns with it.. and some of those would be

-inability to test because I am not set in one behavior, moving from phobic to CP and the dependence on outside circumstance led me to be both sides of the test questions, often.
-loyalty, questioning, anxiety and inability to let relations end when they should became such a backdrop that I could not see how marked they were in my personality
-Issues with anxiety and over thinking as opposed to depression and emotional saturation.
-A strong fear of being alone or lacking support and guidance.
-A desire to balance my self-doubt and the doubt of others. Interestingly, I will always ask for input on life choices but never blindly take it. I seem to get the information from others, just to be sure that all bases (ones that I've possibly missed) are covered, then undergo a grueling assessment of mixed advice and self understanding. I'm sure it irritates the shit out of people ;P Decisions are never clear and obvious, each decision must capture endless possibilities and a full work through of these, a fine-tuned assessment of each. Ass-backwardly the truth usually presents itself through complexity, not simplicity for me.
-Issues with authority (despite having countless run-ins with authority) I did not perceive myself as having an issue. This is because I have operated CP for so long, confronting any issue and finding closure, that to me, it was my phobic, passive-aggressive friends that really lived with authoritative fear. I didn't realize that fear is fear regardless of how its responded to.

edit: for w7's that often go CP, that proverbial 6 scrip can *seem* to go right to hell. I am really beginning to hate descriptions, lol.

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm a 6. I know that for sure though for a year or so, I thought I was an 8. I don't really understand all of this "indecisiveness" talk. I don't think that is the central characteristic of a 6 - to be indecisive.

I don't know if it's a central characteristic, but I think the reason many 6s say they're indecisive is because of self-doubt. I wonder if there's a difference in seeing a lot of self-doubt between phobic and counterphobic 6s (I don't know whether most of the people in this thread are more phobic or counterphobic; that's just something I'm throwing out as a possibility)