• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 1] A Question for Ones

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I don't really care for many of the descriptions of the 1w9. They make the 1w9 sound like some emotionless robot who expresses little or nothing. Yet the 1w2 seems more dynamic.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Last edited by a moderator:

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yes, because it is true. 1w9 has the detachment of 9s, while 1w2 has the engagement of 2s.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
The 1's vice is wrath, paradoxically concealed by hir concern with stability and self-control. ("I'm not angry, I'm just trying to do it right!")

Owlesque

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Enneagram descriptions usually aren't very flattering. I identify most with 1w9 and find the descriptions pretty accurate regarding emotion (or lack thereof).

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I think in terms of affect or outward appearance, they're more or less accurate. But in terms of inward feelings, they're almost completely silent. I wager that many 1w9's struggle with roughly the same emotions that other types do, but they prevent themselves from expressing them for fear of seeming out of control. I know that's the case for me.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
As a 1w2 I really can't say how good or accurate the 1w9 descriptions are.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't really care for many of the descriptions of the 1w9. They make the 1w9 sound like some emotionless robot who expresses little or nothing. Yet the 1w2 seems more dynamic.

Does anyone else feel this way?
They're only emotionless compared to the significantly more volatile 1w2s. My roommate all of last year was an INTJ 1w9 and she was MUCH better at holding in anger than I was (as an ESTJ 1w2). It helps that 1w9s are generally introverts, while 1w2s can go either way.

And from my experience with my roommate last year, I can say that when we each let out our anger, it took very different forms -- though I'm sure the emotion behind it was equally strong with each of us. With me, it would be an extremely harsh self-imposed guilt trip, often out loud, and sometimes with tears: "There were all these things I could have done to make everything work out, but I had to be a stupid, irrational idiot and choose the worst possible option. Someone needs to lock me in a room and keep me from making any important decision ever again." The repressed anger was tinted with 2 guilt, and was aimed at myself.

Whereas, with my roommate, her anger outbursts would be cold, almost lecture-like rants at the system as a whole: "This person is against me. Everyone is against me. The entire system is designed to make this happen every single time. It's all hopeless. Fuck the world, fuck the system, I'm moving to the wilderness and becoming a hermit." The repressed anger was tinted with the 9 urge to be as neutral and detached as possible.

I don't know how much this reflects other 1w9s. :shrug:

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
They're only emotionless compared to the significantly more volatile 1w2s. My roommate all of last year was an INTJ 1w9 and she was MUCH better at holding in anger than I was (as an ESTJ 1w2). It helps that 1w9s are generally introverts, while 1w2s can go either way.

And from my experience with my roommate last year, I can say that when we each let out our anger, it took very different forms -- though I'm sure the emotion behind it was equally strong with each of us. With me, it would be an extremely harsh self-imposed guilt trip, often out loud, and sometimes with tears: "There were all these things I could have done to make everything work out, but I had to be a stupid, irrational idiot and choose the worst possible option. Someone needs to lock me in a room and keep me from making any important decision ever again." The repressed anger was tinted with 2 guilt, and was aimed at myself.

Whereas, with my roommate, her anger outbursts would be cold, almost lecture-like rants at the system as a whole: "This person is against me. Everyone is against me. The entire system is designed to make this happen every single time. It's all hopeless. Fuck the world, fuck the system, I'm moving to the wilderness and becoming a hermit." The repressed anger was tinted with the 9 urge to be as neutral and detached as possible.

I've had outbursts of both varieties. :smile:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've had outbursts of both varieties. :smile:
Oh. :doh: That makes sense, in retrospect. I've seen INFJs of all Enneagram types react to things like my 1w9 description. Maybe it's the Ni?

Savitri

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

I've had outbursts of both types though for different reasons. The former is my response to a project gone awfully wrong, the latter is failure to understand I've been emotionally wounded.

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
After thinking about it, 1w9 definitely fits better than 1w2. Most people never know how emotional I really am.

Working On It

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
I was raised with the understanding that "When you get angry or over the top intense, others tune you out and you lose." We all choose how to manifest our emotions. With age, anger was replaced by determination, frustration was replaced with self-control, outrage yielded to justice, fear/fighting yielded to love of learning and appreciation of the process.

I am hardly emotionless. But I consistently place my feelings under reason, which on rare occasions give others the faulty impression of emotionless.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was raised with the understanding that "When you get angry or over the top intense, others tune you out and you lose."
:yes: Me too. I relate to this a lot, as well as the rest of your post -- although you sound more self-controlled than me, which seems to be a pretty common One extrovert/introvert difference.

I was also raised around the idea that if you vent your frustration about things all the time, no one trusts you or your feelings, i.e. you start to seem dramatic and no one feels like they can trust you to deliver the objective facts of the situation. As a result, when I do vent about things, it's either for humor, or I try to vent in as detailed a manner as possible, and in the form of a question ("what do I do??").

Working On It

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
I am also fortunate that my work speaks volumes about how I feel. There is a physical intensity that is needed to complete each task. Others can easily see the passion and care I have for them throughout the process. I don't have to find the right words. I don't have to rant, cry, or emotionally emote. I just have to work. The work says it all.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

As a 1w9 I do find myself to repressing them, of course some wing 2 descriptions make 1's to look somewhat tyrannical. It is just a switch in locus of control.

Hyacinth

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think 1w9s are more introverted (not really in the MBTI sense) and so they have very rich inner worlds. :D