• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 8] Type 8's and unhealthy conditioning tests/exercises

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
So I've noticed that a lot of type 8's tend to put their siblings/friends/family members through unnecessary "conditioning exercises" because they feel that they will make them stronger. For instance, in Tekken, the character "Heihachi Mishima" threw his son Kazuya off of a ledge because he figured if his son could survive that, then he could survive anything. Also, I have a friend who had an 8 father, and he would be much tougher on his daughter than most fathers would and would literally beat her senseless if she didn't get good grades. So 8's, do you put your loved ones though "conditioning training" to make them stronger/what do you do?

Last edited by a moderator:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
So I've noticed that a lot of type 8's tend to put their siblings/friends/family members through unnecessary "conditioning exercises" because they feel that they will make them stronger. For instance, in Tekken, the character "Heihachi Mishima" threw his son Kazuya off of a ledge because he figured if his son could survive that, then he could survive anything. Also, I have a friend who had an 8 father, and he would be much tougher on his daughter than most fathers would and would literally beat her senseless if she didn't get good grades. So 8's, do you put your loved ones though "conditioning training" to make them stronger/what do you do?

No and what you are describing is abuse. Those people don't get the luxury of being called "unhealthy". I don't generally feel most people are strong so the thought never crosses my mind to try to condition them otherwise.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No and what you are describing is abuse. Those people don't get the luxury of being called "unhealthy". I don't generally feel most people are strong so the thought never crosses my mind to try to condition them otherwise.

true dat

Artemistry

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As a sister to 7 siblings and a mother to one boy, I can say that this is not true for me, even when I was an unhealthy 8. I have a strong connection with my 2 point, probably influenced by a strict religious evangelical upbringing (dad was Calvinist preacher and we attended a rural Mennonite school). However, I am very much the kind of mother who does feel that allowing a child to roam the local neighborhood freely and occasionally hurt himself is good for developing a bit of a tougher skin - in other words, I am not overly protective of my son, because I see his becoming dependent on me as a weakness (which I think most 8's would agree that we see dependence as a weakness) and since it is my job to prepare my son for his own independent foray into the world, I would be doing him a disfavor by being too protective (this is not to say that my own Mama Bear doesn't come out sometimes, often more when his emotional vulnerability is at risk). I have enacted a counting routine when he cries and whines to get his way - for every number I count, he loses a day of screen time - in an effort to weed out that behavior as manipulation vs. true expression of feelings or needs that have gone unmet. It is very effective. Many of my siblings are, in my estimation, overprotective of my parents (all of us having in our own ways to grow up fast as children because our parents are emotionally immature) and we have many disagreements on how to care for them in their old age. That said, I think it would be a sociopathic 8 who would do as you suggest, and is probably not the norm for most 8s, even moderately unhealthy ones.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=15698]Artemistry[/MENTION]
you're also an NFP. NFPs regardless of E type are almost always gentle with children and take a live let live approach to life (not to say that I agree with the OP, but you're probably gonna be a softer person overall than, say an ESTP or ENTJ 8)

Artemistry

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't speak for other types, but I can say that I strive to be gentle with children (although I have not always been so, even I have had points in time where I was stressed and punished my son with more than was necessary).

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
At the least, this thread should be title"Unhealthy Type 8's and conditioning tests/exercises" not "Type 8's and unhealthy conditioning tests/exercises".
these are clearly behaviors of a psychologically ill person

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
At the least, this thread should be title"Unhealthy Type 8's and conditioning tests/exercises" not "Type 8's and unhealthy conditioning tests/exercises".
these are clearly behaviors of a psychologically ill person

I can't exactly go out and change the title now can I? Maybe one of the mods could change it for me?

F

figsfiggyfigs

Certainly not. I am fiercely protective of my family and friends and would not hurt them like that.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I was raised by an insane E8 who toughened me up like this. There are bad parts about it, but I actually thank her, I'm pretty strong even compared to my own mother because of it.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I was trying to think of if I do this or not..

I don't generally think people as a whole are very strong anyways. It doesn't really cross my mind to 'condition' them for strength.. I think if I started setting goals like that I'd drive myself insane.

But I do want to see friends and family succeed. I frequently give out strong advice, and I sincerely hope they take it. I am MORE than willing to go out of my way for people I am responsible for if it means they'll get stronger as a result. I don't find either of those things unhealthy though.

I think if I were a parent I would be a lot stricter than most parents.. I'd be very military about it. But I don't really find that unhealthy either. I don't think I'd throw my son off of a cliff. :laugh:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I can't exactly go out and change the title now can I? Maybe one of the mods could change it for me?

You can usually change it by going to Edit -> Advanced.

As to the title, my 8w9 coworker absolutely CODDLES her daughter.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
You can usually change it by going to Edit -> Advanced.

As to the title, my 8w9 coworker absolutely CODDLES her daughter.

Where's that under in the thread I've searched for 5 minutes and can't find it anywhere.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Where's that under in the thread I've searched for 5 minutes and can't find it anywhere.

Oh, your post is probably too old to change. For maybe a few days or a week after you post, you're able to edit it. Sorry, I didn't take note of the date when I replied. If it's within date, you just do Edit Post -> Go Advanced.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Oh, your post is probably too old to change. For maybe a few days or a week after you post, you're able to edit it. Sorry, I didn't take note of the date when I replied. If it's within date, you just do Edit Post -> Go Advanced.

Yeah, I posted this shit back in May.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7

lmao... Heihachi is a beast... and that HAIR!

My ex complained that I constantly ruined her self esteem, while I felt like I was dragging a dead body with me everywhere. She'd say something like, "You're too good for me" and I'd say, "If you start thinking that, it'll become true." My intention was to make her stand on her own two feet instead of borrow lean against me for support all the time, but the effect was actually counterproductive. It often felt like I was picking up a ragdoll and dropping it limp as it fell to the ground. My current girlfriend owns her own house, has her own job, makes significantly more money than I do, and refuses my help when I offer it. I think I love her.

rav3n

So 8's, do you put your loved ones though "conditioning training" to make them stronger/what do you do?
No. I'm highly protective of loved ones and close friends, quite often, can be too tolerant.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My sister is an 8 and she's never been abusive to others by conditioning them in ways that can cause harm. She can be very tough on people, has high expectations, and wants results but she tends to be extremely indulgent toward loved ones. In a romantic relationship, she can be amazingly tolerant and forgiving of all kinds of things.