• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 4] INTJ 4s?

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is INTJ a common type for Enneagram 4? If you are one, do you feel like talking about it a little? (For example, say something about your stack, if you think that affects it, or talk about how you experience it.)

This is for a friend who's searching.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for that!

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They do exist. INTJ 4w3s will be more likely to show off their unique talents and show confidence in them, whereas the INTJ 4w5 will be comfortable being in the background. Very strong Fi though, and most likely to be mistyped as INFJs. Whatever line of work they do, it's all about carving their own original mark into it.

Here's a description I wrote about INTJ 4s:

INTJ type 4's are very rare. They are emotional, but the emotions run under the surface... it's not obvious. You might notice that they wear a unique style of clothing that is them, but very functional. When it comes to their work, they will go out of their way to make sure it is original to their style, and keep themselves from being in a specific niche. They are very creative in solving problems, and want to make sure it is done their way, with their own flair. They will tend to romanticize intellectual pursuits and ideas, and if they have artistic abilities, will produce work that is reflective of romanticism, yearning, but the romanticism goes through a brain filter. You will notice that an INTJ 4 will have an air of refinement and elegance to them, very sophisticated, yet they are soft-spoken. While they are confident on what they know, don't know, and their abilities, they might be hard on themselves, especially when they don't achieve the desired outcome of their goals. INTJ 4's will never, or rarely, compromise who they are and what they create just to make it more popular. They want to adhere to their inner values. INTJ 4's are very unassuming and may have a difficult time promoting their vision. They feel much more comfortable being in the background. You might notice an INTJ 4 will have a wannabe rebellious streak, and their form of rebellion will be an intellectual/artistic adventure. They might read literature that contains individualistic themes, presents a cynical view of authority, and will tend to like art that varies from the traditional to things that have an almost dark quality to it. They might like listening to music that is a bit intense, but also like music that is slow and heavy, and the delicate and beautiful. They are difficult to please when it comes to artistic and musical tastes, and may not like what is trendy, they avoid trends at all costs. INTJ 4's are also in their own worlds... they may find books, music, and art better than the chaotic/noisy world around them.

Never argue with an INTJ 4 though... be prepared for them to get a bit defensive, and temperamental.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok, that's scary true.

Cold Roses

Thanks for this, Tilty. It all makes sense now. I should have known my INTJ result on a formal test as a teenager was accurate...there was just something missing. My enneagram explains that. No wonder INFJ makes sense, yet is not me.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey, girl! Good to see you. Glad this helped.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think Roger Waters in an INTJ 4w5 sp/sx. The 4-5-8 tritype description sounds just like him.

Cold Roses

Alright, in fairness I am starting to feel like I might be an INTP. Though I feel 100% about the Enneagram result. *bangs head off desk*

(edit: I take that back. I am just fighting INTJ like I did a decade ago. I just want an excuse to keep procrastinating because if I were an INTP it would be in my nature, right?)

Last edited:
B

brainheart

[MENTION=8888]CuriousFeeling[/MENTION], your description sounds like me but I'm an infp. I think it just sounds like a 4w5 description, the intj aspect seems potentially irrelevant. (minus the traditional art aspect and maybe functional clothes? Although I think I am
Kind of boring clothes-wise, but unique at the same time.)
No offense or anything. I appreciate the effort-

Cold Roses

So, alright-I think I am just working myself into a lather over here. I tested in the past few days as INTJ and INFJ. I got on some weird jaunt today thinking about INTP, but I have not had any results conclusive to that. Looking at this 4w5 enneagram, I guess I am back to being uncertain if I am just an oddball INTJ or actually an INFJ mistyping as an INTJ. Tricky business.

Burger King

[MENTION=15549]Cold Roses[/MENTION]

Why don't you make a "type me" thread? I wouldn't put too much stock into the tests, especially the free ones you see floating around online. I never test as my type on the tests. I discovered my type by reading the Jungian description of the functions and reading a bunch of stuff online. I can see the reason for INTP though, indecisiveness and self-doubt (in other words, being open to possibilities) tend towards INTP rather than INTJ, if I had to compare the two.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=15549]Cold Roses[/MENTION]

Why don't you make a "type me" thread? I wouldn't put too much stock into the tests, especially the free ones you see floating around online. I never test as my type on the tests. I discovered my type by reading the Jungian description of the functions and reading a bunch of stuff online. I can see the reason for INTP though, indecisiveness and self-doubt (in other words, being open to possibilities) tend towards INTP rather than INTJ, if I had to compare the two.

Anybody can be indecisive. The difference is preferring to gather evidence versus jumping to a conclusion. There is also an internal/external distinction. Thinking is a judging process but with the INTP it is internalized judgment that focuses on the thought-process itself (orderly logic). Whereas the MBTI only considers external features of personality. With the INTP, Ne shuns orderly, decisive behavior as limiting creative potential. So the external world of the INTP does not reflect the internal ordering process precisely because it is limited to the internal, it is all focused on the interior world, the mind. The external world of the INTP reveals that this world is of merely secondary importance to internalized judgment. Thus Ne and Ti work well together to produce the "creative genius at work" type.

Cold Roses

I posted a type me under INTJ or INFJ?. I feel for certain that INTP is off the table. I don't even have much cause to think that was right other than a friend who is an INTP saying she sees some similarities between us. I've only tested as an INTJ or INFJ. Appreciate the help. I know that enneagram is right, at least. Sits perfectly well with me.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I posted a type me under INTJ or INFJ?. I feel for certain that INTP is off the table. I don't even have much cause to think that was right other than a friend who is an INTP saying she sees some similarities between us. I've only tested as an INTJ or INFJ. Appreciate the help. I know that enneagram is right, at least. Sits perfectly well with me.

You're probably an INFJ giving off an INTP vibe. I've seen this quite often.

Cold Roses

*relief* I'm done. I am an INFJ, I guess. I like logic, but who am I kidding? When it comes down to it, I make my decisions based off of ethics, morals and values and not logic. Maybe I'd like to be a P because it seems more easy going, but I like to know what to expect and I feel better after I have made a decision, even if I question it. A few days ago I got an INFJ result, looked into it, and related to all of it. Woke up the next day and got very doubtful. I don't know why I have to fight off my gut instincts like I do, because they are usually on point. I can talk myself out of something I feel to be true, but I always end up back where I started because going against my intuition is painful.

Cold Roses

Alright, I don't buy what I am selling. The introverted Ni is correct. I think that I am, as was the purpose of this thread, the odd enneagram 4 INTJ. I think being a woman and societal norms combined with a fairly well developed Fi is making things out to be what they really aren't, and maybe I am sick to death with the reality of living with the wiring I have and want to trade it in for a new model. Ain't happening. I need to get over this and get on with it.

It might also be worthwhile to note that at 18, a very long and formal psychological report done in a professional environment suggested that I was strongly androgynous due to having a pattern of thinking most associated with males while having traditional feminine values on the flip side.

Edit: I took the enneagram again, trying to be as brutally honest with myself as possible and got a 5w4 with 4w5 being second closest. I am just going to declare myself the INTJ that I am and leave it alone. I'm done mentally jerking off.

Last edited:

Burger King

Maybe I should chime in. I was in a similar predicament, except I mistyped as an INTP and E5. Eventually I came to the conclusion that I am an INFP, E4.

Part of the problem may have been me deluding myself, as I did not view myself as overly emotional and I felt the terms "idealist" and "romantic" did not really reflect who I am. The terms used to describe E4s were romantic, creative, artistic, dark, moody, etc. Sure I felt some connection to those words, but it seemed too dramatic for me, too diva-ish. Eventually I went pass the surfacy/flowery stuff and looked at the more detailed descriptions, the fixations, in particular the more negative descriptions. It dawned on me finally, and there was this weird feeling in my gut. I guess it was sort of a eureka moment.

So basically, my situation is like yours, except I'm a guy, and I suppose the E4 descriptions felt too emotional and feminine for me, more than I'd like to admit of myself. But with this information, I can relate it to so many of my somewhat neurotic tendencies, such as the avoidant personality association with the type and the fact that despite my obsessive researching/reading of this stuff on this site, I only have a few post count. I believe a lot of it has to do with the identity issues of the type. Fear of exposing too much of myself. It would explain why I have this fear of opening a thread after replying to it with a long response.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a INFP 5w4. It's not impossible. I have a heavy wing too. I always thought I was a four, but I read some descriptions here and looked a little deeper, and I'm definitely a 5. I wouldn't follow established patterns, just because that's how it's supposed be.
Cold roses, It kinda seems like you picked out a type for yourself and like a dress that's too tight, you trying to pull it on, but it chafes because it doesn't fit. You honestly don't read like an INTJ.