• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 5] Can 5s be badasses?

A

Anew Leaf

If you say the word "badass" enough, it begins to lose meaning. After reading this thread my mind has changed it to "bad ass" and now I have visions of wallmart asses dancing in my head.

As to the OP... No... Unless the 5 is an ISTP or something. He or she needs a cigarette hanging from their mouth, and a slow walk away from a giant explosion happening behind them.

KDude

Sinead O'Connor 5w4 Sx/Sp.

She's definitely badass, and non-fictional.

Not sure she's a 5 though. A lot of her hangups seem more cp 6w5 (err... maybe I'm biased. I type myself 6w5 too).

Kurt Cobain is not a badass. A self-absorbed junky who left a baby girl without a dad is what he is. No attempts of helping that guy ever worked. He just dwelled on problems. To make a direct comparison, Sinead has been abused as a child, and gloomy herself, is bi-polar, and still has kids, and still sticks around.

Just my 2c.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
She's definitely badass, and non-fictional.

Not sure she's a 5 though. A lot of her hangups seem more cp 6w5 (err... maybe I'm biased. I type myself 6w5 too).

She was shy and fought this, buy I don't see her as a 6 at all.

Kurt Cobain is not a badass. A self-absorbed junky who left a baby girl without a dad is what he is. No attempts of helping that guy ever worked. He just dwelled on problems. To make a direct comparison, Sinead has been abused as a child, and gloomy herself, is bi-polar, and still has kids, and still sticks around.

Just my 2c.

Hum, I think you're right on this.

Last edited:

Starry

I knew an INFJ 5w4 male...that while NOT a badass in his everyday life...when he got mad...holy shit...'something changed'.

It was rare he would ever actually say something verbally in these moments...like [MENTION=4806]violaine[/MENTION] 's INTJ 5. In fact, I feel that because he would not provide this anger with an outlet...because he was very attached to maintaining an relatively affable front...well...that is precisely what 'fed its force' (I'm not explaining this very well because it is a difficult thing to describe). Anyway...this wasn't a 'I'm going to hurt someone or cut someone down-to-size with my words' kind of anger - although I'm sure he could have easily done such a thing if he would have allowed himself. It was a 'I'm going to cause a natural disaster using only my mind' kind of anger (seriously...it would be as if lightening bolts and tornados were touching down all around him - his anger was like a tangible force. If someone could harness it...it could probably power Las Vegas for an evening). He was very much a badass when angry.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Leonardo Da Vinci was a 7. And Albert Einstien, badass? lol

I remember seeing someone present an argument on another forum explaining why Da Vinci was 5 as opposed to 7, I'll see if I can find it later.

And Albert Einstein is most certainly badass, not just in the conventional way that people interpret it; he revolutionaized the entire science of physics through sheer amounts of tenacity and studying, really the term badass bookworm might fit him better.

Starry

I'm kinda thinking of Thom Yorke right now. He can be sweet and charming in interviews...but I have also seen him 'flip a switch'...and present with that 'forceful and powerful e5 badassness'. Maybe e5s with a powerful connection to e8 are quite 'badass'.

KDude

I remember seeing someone present an argument on another forum explaining why Da Vinci was 5 as opposed to 7, I'll see if I can find it later.

And Albert Einstein is most certainly badass, not just in the conventional way that people interpret it; he revolutionaized the entire science of physics through sheer amounts of tenacity and studying, really the term badass bookworm might fit him better.

I think he's badass too for being somewhat of an underachiever and rebellious (educationally) early in life. But achieved what he did in his own time.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think he's badass too for being somewhat of an underachiever and rebellious (educationally) early in life. But achieved what he did in his own time.

Agreed.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

That's not badass.

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, Einstein isn't badass. Stephen Hawking is badass because he met an obstacle in life and thoroughly conquered it.

In that case, I think my idea of a badass is somebody who thoroughly conquers life.

KDude

Hawking hasn't actually provided nearly as much (solid ideas) to the world of science though. He's mostly popularized science - and is highly intelligent. Although, I agree his personal life is inspiring.

KDude

Oh, Einstein wasn't a bookworm. He formally failed at a lot of subjects. One of his teachers said he'd never amount to anything. And he dropped out once in his teens. Bookwormishness isn't what marked where his intelligence was per se. He was more of the contemplative, lost in "thought experiments" type. After school, he was turned down for every scientific and academic position he applied for (partly because he had cut so many classes that his professors badmouthed him everywhere), and his dad died thinking he was a failure. Einstein later achieved and altered everything we know about physics as a struggling assistant patent clerk, of all things. This guy started from that, to winning a Nobel prize, becoming an advisor to world leaders, and whose name - Einstein - has literally become synonymous with "genius". That's why he's badass.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I still can't quite grasp the distinction between "badass", "cool" and "awesome" in this context... I mean, last year we had all those "Most Awesome XXXXs" (one thread per type) threads, and several characters were featured that were very cool but might not be considered "badass" per se, I think. So, I think we're ealing with some vague nomenclature here, as Saturned hinted.

The term is even more confusing when we're talking about real people, since we often don't see their badassery (and since there are no monsters trying to kill them ;)).

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, Einstein isn't badass. Stephen Hawking is badass because he met an obstacle in life and thoroughly conquered it.

In that case, I think my idea of a badass is somebody who thoroughly conquers life.
'

I like that definition. You could argue that Einstein actually did conquer life though because he kind of beat the system.

Richardsen

MBTI Type
IxFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hannibal Lecter??? 5w4 Sx/So

And a real example would be Nietzche was quite a badass, i dont know much about his life, but i see toughness in him.

Patti Smith i wouldn't say that she is a badass but she is a tough... very tough woman 5w4 Sx/So

William Burroughs was quite a motherfucker too... but more reclusive

And John Lennon, despite of all his "imagine" "all you need is love" he was the badass of The Beatles

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you say the word "badass" enough, it begins to lose meaning. After reading this thread my mind has changed it to "bad ass" and now I have visions of wallmart asses dancing in my head.

As to the OP... No... Unless the 5 is an ISTP or something. He or she needs a cigarette hanging from their mouth, and a slow walk away from a giant explosion happening behind them.
Oh cool. Apart from the Istp part, I'm a little bit badass. Does starting a bonfire count?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hannibal Lecter??? 5w4 Sx/So
And a real example would be Nietzche was quite a badass, i dont know much about his life, but i see toughness in him.

Patti Smith i wouldn't say that she is a badass but she is a tough... very tough woman 5w4 Sx/So

William Burroughs was quite a motherfucker too... but more reclusive

And John Lennon, despite of all his "imagine" "all you need is love" he was the badass of The Beatles

no philosopher is a bad ass.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OMG, wouldn't that make an awesome character in a book though!

jixmixfix

Permabanned
no philosopher is a bad ass.

bruce-lee.jpg

Badass philosopher.