• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Enneatypes] INTP Enneagram 5 vs. 6

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The two most common types Enneagram for INTP seem to be 5 and 6. How do you see them as being different?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ime:
6s are more SJ-ish, 5s are more NT-ish. :)huh:?)
INTPs 6s have a higher need to belong. More likely to adopt mainstream or specific group behavior in order to fit in. Usually have better social skills and are more stable.
INTPs 5s are more vulnerable to depression and melancholia. More picky with friendships, which can easily lead to solitude. More concerned about learning everything they can before contemplating taking action. :alttongue:

sculpting

Haha, I actually had this below quote still as in my clipboard and I saw this thread:

In the Thinking Center, Fives have anxiety about the outer world and about their capacity to cope with it. Thus, they cope with their fear by withdrawing from the world. Fives become secretive, isolated loners who use their minds to penetrate into the nature of the world. Fives hope that eventually, as they understand reality on their own terms, they will be able to rejoin the world and participate in it, but they never feel they know enough to participate with total confidence. Instead, they involve themselves with increasingly complex inner worlds.

Sixes are the most anxious type, and the most out of touch with their own sense of inner knowing and confidence. Unlike Fives, Sixes have trouble trusting their own minds, so they are constantly looking outside themselves for something to make them feel sure of themselves. They might turn to philosophies, beliefs, relationships, jobs, savings, authorities, or any combination of the above. But no matter how many security structures they create, Sixes still feel doubtful and anxious. They may even begin to doubt the very people and beliefs that they have turned to for reassurance. Sixes may also respond to their anxiety by impulsively confronting it— defying their fear in the effort to be free of it.

The INTPs kinda struck me as 5w4 (although I admit being ennea-ignorant) but I could see them perhaps become 6-like if they were very insecure and had huge Fe pressures placed upon them? the 6 description seems very classically to be an INFJ with the 6w5 being NiTi like and the 6w7 being NiFe like. NiTi INFJs and heavy Fe INTPs can be very similar in certain ways, so I could see how this cross over makes sense. Just my babbles though!

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In the correlation to the temperaments, 6 is very Supine, while 5 is Melancholy. The INP portion of the type can be Supine or Phlegmatic. I'm on the Supine side, so I identify well with 6. Phlegmatic INTP's, who are probably the most typcal of the type, will likely be less 6-ish and more 5-ish.
So INTP's technically aren't Melancholy, though the blend of INP with the critical, Choleric NT might "average out" to a kind of melancholic profile.
4 on the other hand, is sort of between Supine and Melancholy. And 9 is the most Phlegmatic.

Hence, INTP's being generally somewhere amongst 4, 5, 6, or 9; usually 5 with one or the other wing, or the adjacent type with the 5 wing.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
IMO it's more 5 and 9 than 5 and 6. I don't even know of an INTP 6 on this board. 6 just seems too reactive and socially oriented either phobic or counterphobic.

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
IMO it's more 5 and 9 than 5 and 6. I don't even know of an INTP 6 on this board. 6 just seems too reactive and socially oriented either phobic or counterphobic.

But on the other hand, 6s don't take anything at face value and are always questioning, which would not be inconsistent with a INTP.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There aren't as many, apparently (Though, again; I'm one); hence, the type usually being more typically Phlegmatic than Supine. I think in the Enneagram-by-MBTI type table I used to see (the one where blue filled cells represented high correlation), 6 was fairly represented by INTP.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The two most common types Enneagram for INTP seem to be 5 and 6. How do you see them as being different?

Where are you getting this data from?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In the correlation to the temperaments, 6 is very Supine, while 5 is Melancholy. The INP portion of the type can be Supine or Phlegmatic. I'm on the Supine side, so I identify well with 6. Phlegmatic INTP's, who are probably the most typcal of the type, will likely be less 6-ish and more 5-ish.
So INTP's technically aren't Melancholy, though the blend of INP with the critical, Choleric NT might "average out" to a kind of melancholic profile.
4 on the other hand, is sort of between Supine and Melancholy. And 9 is the most Phlegmatic.

Hence, INTP's being generally somewhere amongst 4, 5, 6, or 9; usually 5 with one or the other wing, or the adjacent type with the 5 wing.

You've just made a prediction of reality based on zero evidence and few facts. However, based on the evidence I have, it looks pretty good.

G

garbage

Does the 6's "look beyond the surface and see what's really going on" mentality play into the difference between the two? For some reason, discussions tend to leave out the potentially questioning nature of the 6. Why is that?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You've just made a prediction of reality based on zero evidence and few facts. However, based on the evidence I have, it looks pretty good.
It wasn't really "prediction"; The evidence was which E type INTP's generally come out as, which fairly matched a correlation of the E types to temperament through the Interaction Styles and Keirsey groups.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It wasn't really "prediction"; The evidence was which E type INTP's generally come out as, which fairly matched a correlation of the E types to temperament through the Interaction Styles and Keirsey groups.

Then how did you derive this? - "In the correlation to the temperaments, 6 is very Supine, while 5 is Melancholy."

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
By comparing type/temperament descriptions. Especially helpful were some Enneagram type videos on enneagramworldwide.com

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Where are you getting this data from?

This chart here.

enneagrammbticorrelation.jpg

http://webspace.webring.com/people/cl/lifexplore/typecorr.htm

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The two blue colors aren't distinct enough. Confusing.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not enough people of any MBTI type will admit to being 6, though it is probably the most common enneagram type.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not enough people of any MBTI type will admit to being 6, though it is probably the most common enneagram type.

But 6 is the only column completely filled in with confusing colors.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But 6 is the only column completely filled in with confusing colors.

Yes, quite. In this particular study that indicates that 6 is the most common type.