• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 4] Intellectual 4w3s?

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Can anyone think of any intellectuals or thinkers who could be considered 4w3? I think there's an unfortunate stereotype that 4w3s are drama queens/airheads and that 4w5s are the genuine thinkers (emphasis on genuine).

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Anew Leaf

Can anyone think of any intellectuals or thinkers who could be considered 4w3? I think there's an unfortunate stereotype that 4w3s are drama queens/airheads and that 4w5s are the genuine thinkers (emphasis on genuine).

[MENTION=1456]Domino[/MENTION] is a great, amazing example of 4w3.

A

Anew Leaf

[MENTION=1456]Domino[/MENTION] is a great, amazing example of 4w3.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I used "blastocyte" in a sentence this weekend. Does that count?

redacted

My INFP friend is a 4w3 sx/so, and she's one of the only people that will talk about random metaphysical bullshit with me until I'm tired of it. Not famous, though...

A

Anew Leaf

I used "blastocyte" in a sentence this weekend. Does that count?

Every time you post, it's like angels exploding from my brain with the amazingness of your thoughts.

I think 4w3's offer the best of both worlds: beauty and brains.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I heard Albert Camus was one.

Richardsen

MBTI Type
IxFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I heard Albert Camus was one.
Yes he was

I had a friend who was a 4w3, ( Sp/So/So/Sp) and is much more intelectual than me... Well maybe the right word would be cerebral. I can remember when we where kids and he talked all the time about intelectual subjects, to me he was like a "wise kid", the most interesting kid i've known. He was 4w3 for sure, and very obvious... Now he is writing manga/anime-like novels and hangin out with pussies. Still apreciate him.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I thought 4w3s & 3w4s often personified "intellectual snob" ;). 4s are often described as having an intellectual bent, regardless of wing. I suppose we could discuss WHY 4s are often drawn to such things, but for the sake brevity, let's just accept it as typical of the type.

I can't see why a 3 wouldn't be drawn to interests which signify intelligence, "high brow" taste, being cultured & classy, etc.

People who think 4w3s are airheads must have a serious misunderstanding of 4w3s. I can't find that link to the long list of enneagram type (+ wing & instinctual stackings) videos, but the 4w3s seemed like exceptionally creative & smart people, not drama queen airheads.

EDIT: Here it is (right on the first page :blush: )
http://pastebin.com/gsAhzZqW

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Intellectual, meaning highly developed intellect...
and intellect, meaning

-the power of knowing as distinguished from the power to feel and to will

-the capacity for rational or intelligent thought especially when highly developed
and intelligence, which includes
-the abilities for abstract thought
-understanding
-communication
-reasoning
-learning
-planning
-problem solving.

I would say that both 3w4 and 4w3 engulfs many of these charactoristics, along with all of the other enneagram types.

No, enneagram does not influence the capacity for intellect.. just like mbti type doesn't directly affect IQ.

Genius and idiocy will be found in each of them (yes, even 5's) and I suppose that real intellect (imho) is a byproduct of understaing the different perspectives and the capacity of creation in each.

jixmixfix

Permabanned

My guess is probably "feeler" type intellectuals like Ghandi who are much more involved in ethics and morals as their modes of reasoning.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that fours come in many many different flavors. The idea is to assert yourself as a unique and creative individual in the world, how that manifests is going to be up to a lot of broad interpretation, (and thank you for the thread idea.)

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
No, enneagram does not influence the capacity for intellect.. just like mbti type doesn't directly affect IQ.

Genius and idiocy will be found in each of them (yes, even 5's) and I suppose that real intellect (imho) is a byproduct of understaing the different perspectives and the capacity of creation in each.

Hear, hear. I think 9w8s also get the short end of the stick in that area, even more so than 9w1s... I now remember this description:

9w8s can be very intelligent (I have a 9w8 friend with a 170 IQ) but usually we'd say they're the least 'cerebral' of all of the E-types. Both types of 9 have strong idealistic notions, but 9w8s are generally simpler and more practical people, where 9w1s can get powerfully "switched on" by purely abstract ideas.

It has a caveat and everything, but it kind of irks me, considering how "cerebral" is sometimes considered synonymous with "smart"... :huh:

/rant over

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Intellectual, meaning highly developed intellect...
and intellect, meaning

-the power of knowing as distinguished from the power to feel and to will

-the capacity for rational or intelligent thought especially when highly developed
and intelligence, which includes
-the abilities for abstract thought
-understanding
-communication
-reasoning
-learning
-planning
-problem solving.

I would say that both 3w4 and 4w3 engulfs many of these charactoristics, along with all of the other enneagram types.

I interpreted the OP's use of "intellectual" to mean something more along the lines of interests and tastes:

- a person who places a high value on or pursues things of interest to the intellect or the more complex forms and fields of knowledge, as aesthetic or philosophical matters, especially on an abstract and general level.
- a person who enjoys mental activity and has highly developed tastes in art, literature, etc

I thought it was a given that any type could be intelligent. The kind of interests one chooses to develop may be related to type though, as motivations would certainly influence those to a degree.

Caesar

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Gustav Mahler is a 4w3. If you know anything about the man, he's very intellectual. Incidentally, so is Leonard Bernstein. They're both well-read and philosophical.

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As a 4w3 who knows other 4w3s: We tend to be intellectual, but as we crave social acceptance we try to dumb ourselves down to make ourselves more widely accepted.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
:hi:

Or maybe that's just me being a 4 and having a sightly elitist attitude :p.

Honestly though, I'm almost finished my masters, I'm getting published by Cambridge, I think I qualify as an intellectual. The thing about the enneagram is that it tells you even less about one's skill level. I mean in MBTI there are at least types that are known for being logical, in the enneagram, you have the 5 I guess which is an academic type, but that's about it.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't understand this word "intellectual" anyway.. It seems like anyone with at least 3/4's of their facilities could learn this skill. Learning for the sake of learning is great, but learning for the sake of being intellectual? Do people actually enjoy this? It seems like there could be much better uses of your time. Finding out things that cause you excitement, wonder, inspiration, enlightenment, etc. Increasing the vocabulary to get your message across articulately and with impact (or whatever you want to achieve with your words)- all these things are wonderful. Though, just "intellectual." Just because. I find this to be a learned skill that could be an indicator of someone with higher intelligence in the classic sense, but at the same time, it seems like people with a lot of intelligence have a lot more to offer the world and even just for themselves. Just seems like a narrowing view of otherwise depthy and amazing people.

It actually sounds kind of like a 3 thing- image and popularity and such. If you are a three in some circles I imagine it would be very handy to carry that "intellectual" badge.

Intellectual should be like a side effect of all kinds of other things and not an end in itself.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think that it could become apart of the 4's identity in being different to be intellectual if they were in the right environment; but I don't think that it would be stereotypical. Their lives wouldn't really be lead by logic like a lot of typical intellectuals. It would be of a different motivation from a 5 who is your typical intellectual... (going from [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION]'s definition which is basically what I'm approaching this as) I think that an intellectual 4w3 would gain knowledge and have refined taste to feel different and perhaps to make other people desire them due to their seemingly mysterious nature and see them as a "worthy" person (w3).

I think that any type could become an intellectual in one way or another.

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Just to bump this thread, I think Tori Amos is a 4w3 and she seems very well-read. Weird, though...