• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 6] e6 is the worst enneagram type

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I’ll take myself as an example. I have ideas – often strong ones – that I believe are correct. However, the challenge at times is when it comes down to acting. I can be afraid to act entirely on my own perceptions because I may be wrong. What I consciously or unconsciously do is to surround myself with others that I can bounce things off of. I’m not looking just for yes people people who will agree with me. If anything that makes me less confident because of the lack of critical thinking that’s applied. I’m looking for people who have an opinion or will challenge my thinking. It doesn’t mean I’m going to do what they say. I do however use this process to help validate my perceptions and thinking. Sometimes of course, I just decide and don’t listen much to anyone (maybe that’s the INTJishness). Sometimes that works out brilliantly and other times it’s a disaster. Getting the right balance between these two things is what’s tricky because you need to have confidence in your own perceptions and thought process but not so much that you are blind and arrogant. The other thing is that while involving others in decisions and gaining consensus can be important to get things implemented, you don't want to be paralyzed from acting for fear of losing your support.

Kind of a side tangent, but I’m going to go ahead and wonder aloud how much of this is more NiTe than it is e6, because it sounds *a lot* like what many INFJs say they do about conflict with other people (so with us- it’s more centered around the interpersonal, but it bears a resemblance to that process which INFJs go through regardless of being e6 or not). We (INFJs) need to surround ourselves with people we can bounce our experience off of to find out if we’re being reasonable- and not just anyone, it has to be an ‘other’ who has previously demonstrated sound judgment in such matters (Ni is touchy- it rejects everything questionable). It seems like more of a priority to us than most people, to make sure our judgment is reasonable before acting on anything. I’ve been wondering if it’s on account of being attached to the external environment through extraverted judging. When someone is Pi dominant (and least Pe), I think ‘reality checks’ from other people become more important (if only slightly) to feel secure that our perception reflects shared reality.

I imagine being e6 makes you more aware than most INTJs that you’re doing this (needing to bounce things off others to test their staying power), because you’ve put thought into who to consider an ‘authority’ on something and why? Or possibly the process is exacerbated by e6ness. :shrug: Maybe [MENTION=9310]uumlau[/MENTION] has a helpful opinion about this (because I think he has an amazing understanding of Ni, and seems to sneeze fantastic explanations for how it works).

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Kind of a side tangent, but I’m going to go ahead and wonder aloud how much of this is more NiTe than it is e6, because it sounds *a lot* like what many INFJs say they do about conflict with other people (so with us- it’s more centered around the interpersonal, but it bears a resemblance to that process which INFJs go through regardless of being e6 or not).

That's not necessarily true (that it is Ni/Te, rather than E-6). I do the same type of thing! E-6's often try to gather as much information as possible to get a sound judgment because we are always unsure, but we also try to figure out which sources are the most reliable and which judgments are the soundest, making us contradictory like that.

G

garbage

Kind of a side tangent,[...]

I will say that I've got some trouble differentiating between Enneagram 6 and Ni to some degree. At least, they seem to have some behavioral manifestations in common, such as 'wanting to know what's "really" going on,' continually asking the next question, and so on. Though I'm slapping the Ne label on myself at present, those tendencies are why I (and some others) have typed myself as Ni-dominant at times and why I still continue to identify with Ni to a great degree.

At least, I'll say that I identified pretty much completely with what [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] wrote. For reference, I'm a near-definite 6.

Nothing much to say on the subject at present--I'll think about it and post some thoughts if I gather any--but I'm interested to see how Ni/e6 can be reconciled or separated as well :popc1:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Kind of a side tangent, but I’m going to go ahead and wonder aloud how much of this is more NiTe than it is e6,

Really? I was wondering if it isn't just a person thing. Isn't everyone like that to some degree?

Did you mean a Ni-dom thing? INFJs aren't NiTe?

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I will say that I've got some trouble differentiating between Enneagram 6 and Ni to some degree. At least, they seem to have some behavioral manifestations in common, such as 'wanting to know what's "really" going on,' continually asking the next question, and so on. Though I'm slapping the Ne label on myself at present, those tendencies are why I (and some others) have typed myself as Ni-dominant at times and why I still continue to identify with Ni to a great degree.

Yeah, this was actually occurring to me after I posted, that I seem to remember reading the opinion that e6 actually is like Ni. (edit: There was a thread at some point, where the poster proposed a list of how enneagram types can make people seem [certain cognitive function]-ish, like the way e5s seem Ti-ish.)

Really? I was wondering if it isn't just a person thing. Isn't everyone like that to some degree?

Sure. But every point on the enneagram is a 'person thing' which everyone has to some degree. Are you trying to argue that you don't think it's Ni-ish, that it isn't e6-ish or that it's somehow pointless to say one 'type' exhibits this behavior more than others? (I don't understand the point behind this comment, I guess.)

Did you mean a Ni-dom thing? INFJs aren't NiTe?

I said NiTe instead of Ni dom because what he wrote, specifically, seemed like a NiTe version of what INFJs have repeatedly claimed in the past. I thought I explained this in my post, but maybe it wasn't clear.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sure. But every point on the enneagram is a 'person thing' which everyone has to some degree. Are you trying to argue that you don't think it's Ni-ish, that it isn't e6-ish or that it's somehow pointless to say one 'type' exhibits this behavior more than others? (I don't understand the point behind this comment, I guess.)

Well, I don't know that much about enneagram in general. Literally everyone I know does that kind of thing though, whether they're Ni-users or not. If there's any trend at all, it'd be for extroverted people to do it more (for obvious reasons), but even introverts do it constantly, just with a more select group of friends. Maybe I'm over-generalizing though, the quote is rather vague and maybe you're focusing on something in particular.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Actually, you are not a 6w5 Sp/So, and not a 7w6 Sp/So and not A 6w7 Sp/Sx or a 6w7 So/Sp either as you put it in you signature. You are at the middle of all this: a 6w7 Sp/So. It' time for you to stop staying moving around and have some guts to assertively recognize your real type, the truth will liberate yourself.

XD lol I love how you say I'm 6w7 sp/so so seriously :laugh:

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I don't know that much about enneagram in general. Literally everyone I know does that kind of thing though, whether they're Ni-users or not. If there's any trend at all, it'd be for extroverted people to do it more (for obvious reasons), but even introverts do it constantly, just with a more select group of friends. Maybe I'm over-generalizing though, the quote is rather vague and maybe you're focusing on something in particular.

Yeah, the bolded makes me think we’re on two separate tracks of thought. What I’m referring to is something I believe to be especially prevalent in Introverted Perceivers (Pi dominants), and it’s more Ni than Si because N can be more *out there* (and ergo, in more need of ‘reality checks’ to feel secure). INFJs have stated, time and time again in various threads, there’s a really strong urge to make sure the things that are occurring to us (why we’re having the reactions we’re having) are reasonable before acting on them or voicing complaints. Any introverted function wants freedom from the consensus, from the ‘object’- and Ni doms need to touch base with others via Je because our perception is inclined to roam (and initially, in reading highlander’s description, it seemed like this is what he was describing…..so I was wondering how much of that was being Ni dom vs. e6).

If I didn’t thoroughly suck at knowing how to search for threads, I’d find the thread I referred to earlier to shed some light on how e6ness can resemble Ni. I’m not even sure uumlau can help distinguish differences between the two because- while I consider him magically insightful when it comes to defining Ni- I have no idea how familiar he is with enneagram types.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Chuck Norris dislikes this thread

ChuckNorris-e1268280158767.jpg

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually, why wouldn't be near identical types? ;)

I don't think you are near identical either, you are very differents. I still associate you with 6w7 Sp/So (like Millhouse) and Elfboy with 7w8 Sp/Sx (like Gambit).