• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 6] e6 is the worst enneagram type

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As for myself, I've observed people who have tons of posts who still don't know jackshit about the types and still stereotype, and it really appears that they don't know jackshit about anything else either. Mind-boggling to behold.

G

garbage

As for myself, I've listened and listened to Sixes, and all I can conclude is that their intellectual insecurity is mind-boggling to behold.

That's just fine; if you're pretty set on that assessment, then you've reached it through what you believe is a sound analysis and might not need to carry your analysis any further. Really, I mean no sarcasm there. There are probably some 'types' that encompass entire personas that some find bewildering and will never get along with.

It'd be wrong of me to not point out that a strong 6 might think of strong 5s bullheaded and closed-minded, though.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's just fine; if you're pretty set on that assessment, then you've reached it through what you believe is a sound analysis and might not need to carry your analysis any further. Really, I mean no sarcasm there. There are probably some 'types' that encompass entire personas that some find bewildering and will never get along with.

It'd be wrong of me to not point out that a strong 6 might think of strong 5s bullheaded and closed-minded, though.

I think some types are sensitive and can be put off by directive types. They don't seem to like 8's either. It seems to be more of a case for some people of being overly-sensitive, and possibly more of a case of disliking an overall type or at least a directive type, rather than six. Sx-dom also comes to mind.

Last edited:

frenchie

MBTI Type
ENFP
Eh, being a 6 has its perks and its fault.

The worst being the anxiety. Working through it is difficult and it only gets better with age.

However, I am very adept at spotting problems and solving them. Systems of thought are comforting to me and I learn them fairly fast. I can tinker with and break down how a car works mentally, see the flow of the money system, or fix a computer.

I also love playing the devil's advocate in debates. It's remarkably easy destroying most arguments doing this.

I'm also highly self sufficent and can ferret out problems like it is no ones business.

Just have to be careful because fear is the worst type of vice that can be projected onto others. I struggle with this one. Sometimes I wish I was a different enneagram type because of the anxiety.

The difference being though that I get a lot of comfort accepting it for what it is.

I'd say I'm a phobic 6w7, but I've learned to embrace my counter phobic ways. I see through most BS and I like how my view of the world isn't myopic.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Don't 6's cling on to each other and form groups and such? plus they must be also good at forming relationships with one another as well and working as a team. I think these are some positive traits to 6's. The flipside to anxiety is it's survival mechanism when someone is anxious they are usually thinking about the next step before they get caught with something. 6's have alot of survivability being phobic and dependent only comes with the bad side of being a 6.

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Don't 6's cling on to each other and form groups and such? plus they must be also good at forming relationships with one another as well and working as a team. I think these are some positive traits to 6's. The flipside to anxiety is it's survival mechanism when someone is anxious they are usually thinking about the next step before they get caught with something. 6's have alot of survivability being phobic and dependent only comes with the bad side of being a 6.

First: This would only apply to type 6's with a social instinctual subtype. A self preserving 6 like myself doesn't really care about other people's feelings and how the group feels. It is actually a huge flaw of mine! With my strong 7 wing, I seek out people, but I am almost hilariously inept at realizing how group dynamics work.

Second: The virtue of 6's is courage, when we know our anxiety but don't fall apart because of it. We are always anxious, though sometimes we do not realize it because it is the backdrop to all of our feelings. It's bubbling under the surface, always. It is like an existential worry that we try to fill with "real" fears, something solvable, anything to avoid confronting that central anxiety. But that is what courage is; confronting it.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
First: This would only apply to type 6's with a social instinctual subtype. A self preserving 6 like myself doesn't really care about other people's feelings and how the group feels. It is actually a huge flaw of mine! With my strong 7 wing, I seek out people, but I am almost hilariously inept at realizing how group dynamics work.

That doesn't sound very "6-like" my idea of a 6 are people who naturally cling on to each other to feel "safe" like a religious group, biker or street gang, musical band or any other kind of group. 6's want to seek people who are like them. A 6w7 is probably more outgoing and has more options as to who they want to "feel safe" with.

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That doesn't sound very "6-like" my idea of a 6 are people who naturally cling on to each other to feel "safe" like a religious group, biker or street gang, musical band or any other kind of group. 6's want to seek people who are like them. A 6w7 is probably more outgoing and has more options as to who they want to "feel safe" with.

That is what some 6's do. Others cling to work, or to ideas, or concepts, or beliefs. It is all in an attempt to avoid confronting our inner, most frightening, most dreaded, yet omnipresent, anxiety.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
That is what some 6's do. Others cling to work, or to ideas, or concepts, or beliefs. It is all in an attempt to avoid confronting our inner, most frightening, most dreaded, yet omnipresent, anxiety.

That sounds alot like a 7 to me, 7's are the ones who seek other ideas, hobbies, and people to avoid being alone and thus dealing with their thoughts or fears, maybe 6w7 would act this way more though I suppose.

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That sounds alot like a 7 to me, 7's are the ones who seek other ideas, hobbies, and people to avoid being alone and thus dealing with their thoughts or fears maybe 6w7 or 7w6 would act this way.

After reading that, I did just realize that my idea of being a type 6 is heavily influenced by my strong 7 wing. All 6s have that anxiety, but perhaps the wing makes them deal with it differently.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
After reading that, I did just realize that my idea of being a type 6 is heavily influenced by my strong 7 wing. All 6s have that anxiety, but perhaps the wing makes them deal with it differently.

I consider myself a 5w6 and I find it very comfortable being alone and dealing with my thoughts. However with a 6 wing I feel I need to attach myself to people and groups or else I would just be alone all the time. I notice that I am very selective towards who I chose to make friends with thus I prefer groups that carry positive energy.

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I consider myself a 5w6 and I find it very comfortable being alone and dealing with my thoughts. However with a 6 wing I feel I need to attach myself to people and groups or else I would just be alone all the time. I notice that I am very selective towards who I chose to make friends with thus I prefer groups that carry positive energy.

I also like to be part of a group, but I feel the need to do so because it is nice to have friends, people who like you and you like them back. I'm not sure what you mean by positive energy. I don't feel any "aura" of positive or negative feeling in a group.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I also like to be part of a group, but I feel the need to do so because it is nice to have friends, people who like you and you like them back. I'm not sure what you mean by positive energy. I don't feel any "aura" of positive or negative feeling in a group.

There are good groups to be apart of and bad groups, groups who steal and hurt others (or each other) or groups who are more healing and positive. Some people(probably 6's) cling onto the wrong groups to feel secure with themselves.

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There are good groups to be apart of and bad groups, groups who steal and hurt others (or each other) or groups who are more healing and positive. Some people(probably 6's) cling onto the wrong groups to feel secure with themselves.

Wow, that sounds fascinating. I wonder if it partly from Fi versus Fe instead of enneagram. Your signature says you don't get Fe, but the way you describe seeing groups seems like a lot of what I have read about Fe. Very cool.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Wow, that sounds fascinating. I wonder if it partly from Fi versus Fe instead of enneagram. Your signature says you don't get Fe, but the way you describe seeing groups seems like a lot of what I have read about Fe. Very cool.

My point is that I am quite detached (5's being detached and observant) and aware of what is going on outside me and of group dynamics so I don't step in if I don't feel comfortable. This does sound like relates to Fe as well I agree.

frenchie

MBTI Type
ENFP

Not not really. Being a six is just being a big ball of doubt and constantly questioning the strength of whatever it is he is questioning.

The strength of being a 6 is the anxiety. It gives a drive to help pull one out of a potentially bad or mediocre situation. The fear gives lets us see potential problems well before they rise.

Responsible yes, but even this ENFP type 6 is forgetful. I don't do well with details, but my strength is problem solving to the umpteenth degree. I do very well in IT and mechanics. But the 7 wing does an even better job with having something resembling confidence in social situations.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Not not really. Being a six is just being a big ball of doubt and constantly questioning the strength of whatever it is he is questioning.

The strength of being a 6 is the anxiety. It gives a drive to help pull one out of a potentially bad or mediocre situation. The fear gives lets us see potential problems well before they rise.

Responsible yes, but even this ENFP type 6 is forgetful. I don't do well with details, but my strength is problem solving to the umpteenth degree. I do very well in IT and mechanics. But the 7 wing does an even better job with having something resembling confidence in social situations.

Didn't I just say in my quote that the anxiety for a 6 is it's strong side as well?. Anxiety in itself can be both positive and negative when there is too much it turns against you and becomes overwhelming but when there is just enough you can work through problems and foresee the next step. 6's aren't always overwhelmed with anxiety but it seems to always be there which can be a plus in many ways. You make six's sound more incompetent then they really are, especially 6w5s could be the most competent type of all. You might not be good with details but a sensor type 6 might be.

G

garbage

I think frenchie just means that seeking out like-minded groups isn't a necessary trait of being a 6, then was extrapolating from that statement to explain what a 6 is.

I happen to agree.. seeking out like-minded groups has never been my thing. If anything, I always question (for good or for bad) the ideas that I have and tend to want an opposing perspective to balance or to keep things in check. I often define myself in opposition to what a group thinks so that we all, collectively, have a holistic perspective. If I'm personally tackling a problem, or if I'm in a group that's tackling a problem, I want every single possible perspective to go into it.

I want to move forward without bias, which means never anchoring myself to any given viewpoint.

I'm a team player for sure, though.. often to a fault.

typologywhore

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
-dances silently through this thread-

-showers love on all E6s-

G

garbage

Here's a thing that might be relevant for the 6.

From the Idiosyncratic style, Oldham's The New Personality Self-Portrait:

"I wish." sighed Idiosyncratic Benjamin W., "that I'd been able to accept the Orthodox Judaism I was brought up in. My dad never had a doubt in his life. He never had to make up his mind. His father, the Talmud, and the rabbis told him what to believe, what to do, what not to do, what to think, what to eat, who to marry."
[...]
Benjamin [...] is constantly reinventing the universe in his search for reality and truth. He could no more accept an orthodox explanation of the Real World than his father could have lived in an ashram. But in part he envies his father [for] his lifetime consistency of faith and his ability to accept conventional interpretations of things without wondering whether they're true for him personally.
I'm muddying the waters of the 6 a bit, this is how I experience the anxiety and doubt of the 6. I do wind up feeling as though life would be easier if there were a set of established guidelines for living as a way of making things actually make sense. This feeling might manifest in a 6 clinging to the first belief system they can find or rushing to find consensus before acting, but it's never manifested that way for me--still, even if I value my autonomy, that core feeling is there.