• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 5] Emotional 5s

Richardsen

MBTI Type
IxFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hi people :)

I want to know how 5s deal with emotions, i want some personal experience of the 5s here... I used to think that i was a Sx4, but now i know that i am a Sx 5...

In my experience it was difficult, i dealed and showed my emotions through my thoughts and my mind. It's like a blind game with my feelings, i dont know what they mean, but i still get near to my emotions and touch/analyze them.
I dont want to sound elitist or wanabe unique, but im , like a counter 5 (reactive, emotional, temperamental, more artistic, still want engagment) at least the general description of the E5 dont describe me too much.
And im not as absent minded, ethereal or rational than some 5s that i knew in real life. But i see the external world as too... i dont know, dangerous isn't the word, is a more agoraphobic feeling.
I dont want to get involved with the world, but at the same time i cant stand long periods of lack of emotions or engagment... As a Sx first this statement makes a lot of sense.
I know that i am a 5, it was much more difficult to admit//make sure of this, and the basic fear of the 5s made me crash/crack myself a bit... and took me quiet a long time to admit it to myself.

I want some 5s here talking a little bit more about emotions, the fear of emptiness and some things like that.

Chao :D

VagrantFarce

It's less about avoiding a feeling of "emptiness" (I think that's more applicable to gregarious, overly-extroverted types), and more about avoiding a feeling of vulnerability. It's like you're opening a wound up and letting people play with your nerves like guitar strings. You just want to keep it all to yourself, because the assumption is that other people will take advantage of it.

It's also, on the other hand, a feeling of not being prepared enough - I need time to think this over, to play it through my mind, before I jump in the deep end. That way I can reassure myself that I won't be vulnerable - it's not how it seems in the moment, but it's a way of maintaining a detached and "separate" relation to the world. Spontaneity just feels too risky, but in my mind I know where everything fits - it's safer when I deal with things intellectually and unemotionally, but it also turns me into an asshole.

Of course, then I tell myself to stop worrying about everything so much, and to be spontaneous, and to throw myself into the world forcefully. I'm a part of this world, the same as everyone else, and I have just as much right to exert my presence and my feelings as anyone else, so I shouldn't feel ashamed of it - and I certainly shouldn't make excuses like "I'm not really interested in doing that", or "I don't know how to do it", or "it will be easier for everyone if I just don't get involved", or "I have better things to do than this". There's nothing to be ashamed of, and feelings (especially the bad ones) aren't something to be afraid of. So stop thinking about it so much and have fun with people! :laugh:

[youtube=9SBNCYkSceU]5[/youtube]

G

Glycerine

I think I am a 5. I am pretty relaxed with my emotions but am kinda oblivious to my emotions until something stirs a strong emotion within me. In real life, I am secretly VERY emotionally sensitive/kind of turbulent but I push forward a fairly flat affect to the world. The excess of emoticons and strong emotional language I use on the forum is typically not indicative of how I am in real life. I am most emotionally expressive through the written word.

hhp

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I think I belong to the "unemotional 5" group. Specially when it's about feeling happy or sad, these emotions come to me in a very dulled way; it's not that I'm not aware of these feelings, but sometimes I've wished I could be more happy or more sad, like other people. Life seems to be more intense for them.
I suppose it's because I tend to rationalize everything (specially bad things) and send them to the head, so I don't leave very much space for feelings.

However, I feel anger easily, and in that case it's a very strong feeling that I can't control or conceal. Others maybe don't know if I'm happy or sad, but they can tell when I'm angry; I'm so obvious then. Probably is due to a strong connection with 8.

I'm also detached from people, in part because I mistrust them and see information as power, but in part it's just that I'm sometimes very laconic and don't talk if I don't think it's necessary.
On one occasion, for example, when I met a friend after one month travelling around Europe, and he asked me how was my trip, I simply answered: "Fine". Of course he laughed at that answer, but I thought that this word was enough to explain it.

As for emptiness, I try to escape from it often, either by joining a heated conversation, or immersing myself in many absorptive tasks, or whatever (pretty much disintegrating to 7).

On the other hand, I'm not afraid of spontaneity and prefer to leave things alone, hoping they'll get solved by themselves; planning bores and tires me a lot.
Also, science and numbers are not a strong point of mine; quite on the contrary. So these would be the less-5vish characteristics I have.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't extravert my feelings, they are kept secret from others, stashed away for later when it's quiet and I can analyze my emotions without being vulnerable. The only time I will show emotion is when I can't control it, even the people closest to me wont know how I feel, as much as I might want to share them.

As for emptiness, I don't feel it too often. I go on bursts of Extraversion, gather heaps of experiences that conjure up feelings, bottle them, then isolate myself and savor them. Even now, I remember a hug that just tore me in half :blush: and darker moments where I realized how much I love my life and the people in it. These feelings hit me all the time in private, but sharing them is difficult, even in writing.

Richardsen

MBTI Type
IxFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I see a lot of Ts here. I relate in some parts in what you wrote...
But Im a F, my Fi is kick ass, maybe is my 4ness as wing and fix.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know how to deal with my emotions. :(

What have you been doing with them for the last... however many years you've been alive for? You should be well practiced in dealing with them by now if you're capable of typing out Schopenhauer, lol.

I see a lot of Ts here. I relate in some parts in what you wrote...
But Im a F, my Fi is kick ass, maybe is my 4ness as wing and fix.

Gotta keep in mind that Thinking/Feeling in MBTI terms is about morals and judgements rather than emotions.

What is your 4 wing like?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I don't relate to the OP. You sound like a 4w5 sx.

"I dont want to sound elitist or wanabe unique but i'm liek omg totes unique," is essentially what I read.

4s also tend to feel somewhat of a distance among others although the quality is more about protecting their unique self image than it is about protecting themselves from being influenced.

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
What have you been doing with them for the last... however many years you've been alive for? You should be well practiced in dealing with them by now if you're capable of typing out Schopenhauer, lol.

I'm 21-years-old.

Generally, most of my emotions, and especially the actions that result from feeling those emotions, remain suppressed and/or innately subdued, depending on which emotion I'm feeling; on the flip-side of this spectrum, those same emotions can feel like they're taking control of me, eating me away, and I become very emotionally volatile and uncontrolled while I simultaneously overcontrol how I react to these emotions. Anger, sadness, depression, regret, guilt and insecurity are a few of the emotions that fall into this category.

Personally, I believe that I lack true control over my emotions and I find them to be unfamiliar and frightening, so I generally either overreact to them or fail to react when it's appropriate.

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram

I'm 21-years-old.

Generally, most of my emotions, and especially the actions that result from feeling those emotions, remain suppressed and/or innately subdued, depending on which emotion I'm feeling; on the flip-side of this spectrum, those same emotions can feel like they're taking control of me, eating me away, and I become very emotionally volatile and uncontrolled while I simultaneously overcontrol how I react to these emotions. Anger, sadness, depression, regret, guilt and insecurity are a few of the emotions that fall into this category.

Personally, I believe that I lack true control over my emotions and I find them to be unfamiliar and frightening, so I generally either overreact to them or fail to react when it's appropriate.

Richardsen

MBTI Type
IxFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And I've never experience a 'fear of emptiness.'

The 5 fear of emptiness is different... They dont feel the need to fulfill it like a 7 or an extraverted way. They feel the need to keep the energy inside of them. It's hard to explain with words, and even more in english lenguage...

Vizzy

Enneagram
5w4
The 5 fear of emptiness is different... They dont feel the need to fulfill it like a 7 or an extraverted way. They feel the need to keep the energy inside of them. It's hard to explain with words, and even more in english lenguage...

I challenge you to try. :)

hhp

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6

Well, I've experienced many times that kind of emptiness, and is a 7-like fear. It's something which I feel inside of me (lack of orientation, or meaning in life), and I don't want to examine it closely because I know I won't like it, so I distract myself doing lots of things, surrounding myself with people, discussing or turning hyperactive.
Nonetheless, 5's are suppossed to resemble 7's when stressed.

Richardsen

MBTI Type
IxFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't relate to the OP. You sound like a 4w5 sx.

"I dont want to sound elitist or wanabe unique but i'm liek omg totes unique," is essentially what I read.

Meh... maybe
The line it's pretty thin... I relate a lot with 5s ( im SO last, and naturaly dont interest too much with people around me, except from intimates ).
I act like a 5 and specialy in my childhood, i think that i was very autistic in some ways, maybe im more openly emotional ( this doesn't mean that is too much emotional) mainly bcs im INFP.

Other 5 thing that i have is the struggle to keep my mind shut. Sometimes i have headaches, cuz it's too much.
... It's difficult to discern between 5 and 4 in me though.

Im working on it, right now i think that i am Sx5, maybe a week later i'll return to Sx4, or something else...

Richardsen

MBTI Type
IxFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To explain the fear of emptiness - the 5's version.

If you take glutony of 7s and turn it back, you will have 5s avaricity ( avaricia is in spanish but i dont know if im right)
It's like seeing the world as too big, too strong, too intimidating, and they consider so small. The difference between 6s is that they naturaly choose to recluse, they dont actually try to conect with the world ( with Sp last and Sx first this may be less visible, but they really feel it) it's an existensial fear to keep the little energy that they think to have to themselves.
This is true even for a Sx/So 5. Doesn't merely have to do wwith insctint is more than that.