• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 9] 9s what are your physical vices?

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Smoking, crack cocaine, meth, heroine, sex, masturbation, overeating, cutting....

I'm pretty confident the key for a better life when it comes to 9s is to start entertaining the idea....that some of your physical vices might be bad for you.

I tried quitting smoking 3 times before. I haven't smoked for 4 months or so now (my personal record). Now, I personally could never stand people that shoved physical activity down one's throat. I hate it, and have always hated it.

But after a while you start seeing a pattern. Sloth is nothing more than a failure to recognize that our body, our gut plays a HUGE part in one's life, specially if you are a 9, at the center of the gut triad.

When I stopped smoking, I'd get excited. My energy levels would rise and I'd feel pretty good about myself...but then I'd get drunk (and I'm not a regular drinker)....lose my sight for one night where I was with friends and everything was going well and I'd ask someone for a smoke....and BAM! Next day, hey I'm a smoker again. Friends would say something like good ole Moiety's back :D and like the stupid fuckface that I can sometimes paradoxically be I'd laugh with them and congratulate myself for being such the beatnik.

Thing is the cycle got old. Now, the lesson I learned is that for me cold turkey was the answer. I haven't stopped drinking, but I regulated my drinking so as whenever I drink I never get to the point where I can lose my nerve and fall back on an old bad habit.

This is true for anything. I remember how I felt why I tried psychoactive drugs for the first time "I knew there was more to life than this stupid background turpor". Guess what...when uninhibited the big pattern is that my love for other people just overflows. It's pretty pathetic and I'm sure as an ENFP I might be more attuned to that than other 9s....but it fits wonderfully with the 9's idea of Holy Love. Which as you probably know has nothing to do with what people often call love at all. More like the greek agape.

Anyways the point is that when a 9 DOESN'T numb or stimulate his body with substances or with obsessive physical activities of any kind ..... as funny as it sounds....he gets smarter! He gets wise. He gets everything he always knew he was. All the qualities of the other enneagram bozos (but don't tell them that lest they feel inferior).

What I wanted to know is if any other 9 as noticed this pattern in him/herself? When you're in tune with your body's needs everything goes smoothly ...and when you don't you also tend to "narcotize" yourself almost unconsciously.

In my case, I've had a series of illnesses and little body pointers all along during my life, but it's only when I fell ill that I knew my body was trying to wake up with the most basic form of suffering....pure demonic PAIN.

I might be one of the lucky ones, with a sensitive body....because I can imagine a 9 with a very healthy body....could be narcotizing himself to his doom without even knowing!

Please share your thoughts.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Smoking, crack cocaine, meth, heroine, sex, masturbation, overeating, cutting....

I don't identify with this, despite being a 9. (Well, I do like sex, but I don't use it to numb myself with ...) But as far as using substances for numbing, I can't identify at all.

EDIT: maybe chocolate? maybe online forums?

I've been following your threads, and am happy for your sense of taking control, of being alive.

I can identify with sloth, with the laziness, with the distractions to keep myself from really doing what I should be doing.

Will continue to follow along with what you are sharing, however. :)

What I wanted to know is if any other 9 as noticed this pattern in him/herself? When you're in tune with your body's needs everything goes smoothly ...and when you don't you also tend to "narcotize" yourself almost unconsciously.

Am going to think on this for a bit.

gromit

likes this
I guess to me it's more of a apathy about taking care of myself. For example, eating food that is easily available (usually more junky) rather than preparing meals for myself that are nutritious and balanced. Not taking myself exercising enough is difficult too sometimes when I'm feeling overwhelmed. Other times though I just avoid everything and exercise soooooo hard because it feels so good. :D

B

brainheart

My vices don't tend to be physical. My main one is the enneagram. Being inert. Reading too much, sitting around. Coffee and alcohol maybe kinda sorta, but not really. I wonder if because I'm an isfp the physical is actually usually a healthy thing for me. As you say, it gets me in touch with my gut.

But before I went on mood stabilizers I used to binge eat and then starve myself and over exercise, so I suppose... But I don't feel those urges at all anymore.

Oh, and yes, I've very much noticed the pattern. I quit coffee I have more energy. I quit the internet my priorities fall into place.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hmm, for me, caffeine addiction, overeating sweets and fried foods, maybe spending a lot of time in my daydreams counts... Bingewatching shows may fall into that category. I get very involved in shows/fandoms I'm in and I consider it a hobby of sorts but I tend to over-obsess. In some ways, I like having hobbies, I think I keep it in moderation enough. I am passionate about my interests but I am aware of too much of it being unhealthy and it borders on that... Eating can help with the stress in the moment but then it has negative affects, so I have been trying to eat better recently. Or when I compare myself to other people, that's another thing.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
giphy.gif

:doh:

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sex. Sugar. Sitting on my butt. Sleeping. Rinse, repeat.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Over and under eating. Over and under sleeping. Drinking too much. Promiscuous behavior. On and off smoking habits. Frivolous spending habits. Ex-self harmer. General laziness.
I don't know if I'm a 9 but yeah, I guess I can relate to having so much physical vices.

.. Nah, maybe I'm borderline or something. I am always, always considering this possibility like every month since I was seventeen.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I drink too much wine

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Overeating, laziness, staying up late at night on my iPhone because I can’t sleep, showering only a few days a week because I wake up late in the morning and get too depressed to shower sometimes (I take at least 15 minutes to drag myself out of bed because I don’t wanna face the day)...

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Former self-injurer; former smoker turned vaper; caffeine addict (though, I don't really know. Depending on the cosmos, I can take a caffeine pill then fall promptly asleep despite getting proper sleep the night before).
I live on fast food and junk food. If I was any more of a sloth, I'd be dead. I'm a complete entertainment addict (games, binge watching shows, games).
I don't know what physical activity is any more (I'm lucky to cover 3000 steps in the course of 24 hours).

I'm just now at the borderline of perfect weight and fat. Thankfully, eating bores me. I only consume to fill a craving or pain or to be social. What's making me fat are all the soda's I drink- coupled with no exercise.
I shower every day to every other day though... but it's been a year (at least) since I last swept my plywood floor.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Sleeping, watching shows on Netflix, reading, ironically I also do the 9 tune out by keeping myself busy like working out and cleaning up and all that jazz.

Lark

I noticed this was from 2008, which was a different time for the forum, I think, although I dont think I'd have thought the internet was a stranger to surveillance capitalism even back then.

It is something that I'm not sure is a good idea, this sort of self-disclosure, it makes me think of that TV show which is in many ways a good cautionary tale "You", in which the guy is a kind of stalker, obsessive type who does use social media to check everyone else out but never posts anything at all about himself, ever.

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I remember those days, [MENTION=7280]Lark[/MENTION]. Back when I was new to the internet, I didn't even use my real name for Facebook lol. It had been drilled into my head to NEVER share something as private as your name.
Now, I don't care. My kids are all grown up and I'm not interesting enough or pretty enough to worry for myself :rofl1:

For people with any sort of life, though, it probably is a good idea to err on the side of caution because of college and jobs.

Heh, I really liked "You". I didn't think I would, but it was really good.

Mask Off

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wow now that I think about it I should be less of a slacker. I still care a bit about my image

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Caffeine, laying around on the couch, going to bed at 8 pm like an old lady, ice cream, Oreos, pretzel thins, eating things like cheese and cereal straight from the container, soaking things in hot sauce and/or ranch

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Starbucks, Ice cream - nightly snack feeding, Lazy, ignoring bodily needs cuz i'm focused on stuff or depressed and just don't see a point (unless I'm going out, then I care about image), tuning out life, staying up late every night cuz borderline insomnia anxiety and attention deficit hyperactive mind, asmr obsession ?

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
giphy.gif

Oh look, he's still going...get comfortable, I think we're gonna be here a while...:dry:

A Lost Boy

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Not sure if this counts as a "physical" vice (I am way too lazy), but I do have a tendency to keep listening to the same song on repeat for long periods of time as I find it to be a pretty efficient way of numbing myself from getting irritated. I've also been playing some puzzle games lately, but I am still unsure about whether I'd consider it a vice yet.