• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 5] Tackling 5s fixation

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I realized lately just how scared I am of feeling in front of other people. That delayed response feels like a huge curse.

I filled the fridge (to a level that transcends the haphazard or immediately required) and updated my medicine cabinet today...it takes energy to look after myself, it really does. The small comforts in life aren't my strong suit.

The couple of 8s that I know put so much effort into comfort, that they practically don't relax at all, gathering wood for the fireplace, preparing this huge fancy meal, making sure everything is complete before they even sit still. There's a lot of stuff I should probably do like this right now...

I spend more time in the world these days, but I treat myself as more of guinea pig still...looking what I can learn from experiences, how I react, how people react, what experiences might generate interesting stuff.

That reminds me of this:
"Letting the wolf get close to the door, then opening it and seeing how they react".

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What exactly do 5s look like under stress? Yeah, we all know they disintegrate towards 7, but how does this manifest in you?

VagrantFarce

What exactly do 5s look like under stress? Yeah, we all know they disintegrate towards 7, but how does this manifest in you?

When stressed, I find it hard to get up and take action - my mind just races, pondering the same choices over and over, looking for an easy way out of this whole mess.

Those rare moments when it gets really bad? It's like I've collapsed inwardly on myself. I've crushed every need under a feeling of dismissive resignation. All I've got left are my thoughts and my self hatred, which are projected onto everyone else - god forbid anyone tries to connect with me, because I'm never going to let you in. I convince myself that I can't do anything, because I'm too afraid to do anything, because I can't do anything, because I'm too afraid to do anything, because I can't do anything, because I'm utterly useless.

Of course, then you actually take action to improve things and you wonder what the fuck you were even worried about in the first place. :laugh:

[youtube=6e2Pj8nKwwM]5[/youtube]

[youtube=JHqm7iVhtEI]5[/youtube]

G

Glycerine

Regarding stress: Do you guys seem to distract yourself and avoid the problems? I don't know if it's my extroversion but when I get stressed, I can't stop talking, engage in self-destructive behavior (like get wasted), entertain myself with other people, become a chaotic ball of energy... basically looking for the next thrill. If I don't, I spiral downward with my thinking and become lethargic and feel like I am going to combust.

G

Glycerine

[MENTION=6894]Asterion[/MENTION]: From http://www.amazon.com/Personality-Types-Using-Enneagram-Self-Discovery/dp/0395798671 I mostly relate to level 5. :)
page1-1.jpg

page2-1.jpg

page3-1.jpg

page4-1.jpg

Last edited:

Bamboozle

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know I'm advertising myself as a core 3 at the moment but every time I think of my stress responses, they look more like 5 responses. I could be wrong, though.

Weekly-level stresses:

1) I avoid what I should be doing by seeking out a quick fix in the form of connections/interaction—people, ideas, etc. And then I obsess over them. E.g. I do a slew of forum posts because I want to connect with someone; or I pick up an idea (like Enneagram) and think of nothing else for a while.

2) Become closed and perceive almost everyone as an intrusion.

These two result in my sitting in my room, in the dark, on the computer surfing the internet and getting irritable if anyone opens my door before I’m ready to come out. After a few hours of this, though, I seem to settle and I come out to eat and talk in a much better mood. It’s like I rebalance myself. If I’m extra-stressed, though, I just stay in my room the entire day and I don’t re-balance at all.

Increased stress / long-term stress:

3) Noisy head. I dwell on what I perceive to be past mistakes and they loop around in my mind. Sometimes, I re-imagine interactions so that they worked out better. This isn't deliberate. The mistakes can be to do with social interactions that I feel I messed up. Or it might just be a sense that I'm messing up and people know/will know.

4) Feel restless / fixate on the idea of something physically intense. I once became obsessed with getting a motorbike though I've never so much as touched one. I spent a lot of time imagining what it must be like—but knew myself well enough to know that I didn’t really want one. Otherwise, I might fixate on what I perceive to be a tangible problem like my room being messy, or my desk being in the wrong position. The environment feels wrong; too cramped; another form of intrusion. I have to fix it or I will be angry/feel helpless.

I have often been surprised by the strength of my fixations. It is as though all the noise gets channeled into the one fixation and so my mind becomes a different kind of noisy—in a way, more pleasant because I am thinking of things that are more fun. But my mind is not really under my own control by that point either. It is inflexible and runs in circles. So…there are trade-offs.

Silveresque

Average Fives tend to retreat from connection with others and from activities in the world in which they fear they will be unable to accomplish. Thus they become increasingly narrow in their focus and concerns.

Based on this, I could almost see myself as a 5...

*reads level descriptions*

Nope, never mind. :laugh:

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I relate to 4 and 5, I don't remember ever being jaded, antagonistic or callous. I especially relate to the collection of interests. I have so much music that I listen to, not to much escapes my reach. I used to try to master as many video games as I can, now that I know that's what I do under stress, I've been trying to prevent that, and just playing for fun and leisure, and I cut back on the sheer amount of them I was trying to master, some of them would have taken years.

The main problem I'm overlooking is being hooked on thinking, I now waste my time on forums contemplating everything instead of doing useful things... like cleaning my room! Maybe getting aggressive about it will help get it done. do it now! /logs off.

Do you have the higher levels anywhere? If they exist, I could find that book in the library and post it here later if need be (not during exam week though!)

Silveresque

I relate to 4 and 5, I don't remember ever being jaded, antagonistic or callous. I especially relate to the collection of interests. I have so much music that I listen to, not to much escapes my reach. I used to try to master as many video games as I can, now that I know that's what I do under stress, I've been trying to prevent that, and just playing for fun and leisure, and I cut back on the sheer amount of them I was trying to master, some of them would have taken years.

The main problem I'm overlooking is being hooked on thinking, I now waste my time on forums contemplating everything instead of doing useful things... like cleaning my room! Maybe getting aggressive about it will help get it done. do it now! /logs off.

Do you have the higher levels anywhere? If they exist, I could find that book in the library and post it here later if need be (not during exam week though!)

This book has all the level descriptions:
http://books.google.com/books?id=pmdARxbC1SUC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

G

Glycerine

There are no higher level descriptions for the disintegration because the higher levels are the healthy levels (if one is disintegrating, they are automatically going to be at average or unhealthy levels) but revliszero's link is the book (the book has very detailed descriptions of each level though), :) I just took a whole bunch of screenshots from my Kindle.
Here's about integration into 8 not in the google book.
health1.jpg
health2.jpg

Silveresque

I wonder...is it possible for an unhealthy 5 to give up completely on the "quest for mastery"?

Bamboozle

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, I think so. The bottom levels of the Riso-Hudson health levels say that the worst fears of the types come true as they get unhealthier. The worst fears of the 5s is that they are incapable of knowing everything and incapable of ever gaining mastery of anything—and so their world begins to implode. All types lose sight of their main goals and drives. That's my understanding anyway.