• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 9] A word for fellow 9s

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I haven't posted in this forum in a long time (and I probably won't for just as long), but I felt compelled to come and greet my fellow 9s and tell them to get off their butts and do something! Anything.

I've tested as 8 and 7 in terms of enneagram, and ENTP and INFP in MBTI, but I finally made some sense of these apparent contradictions by finnding out I'm truly an ENFP 9w8.

9s tend to be lazy whether they admit it or not. I've spent a good deal of my life dealing with 6 traits (direction of disintegration) and with lack of direction. I've tested as a 7 because I felt as an ENFP that (adventuring) was my answer to my apparent lack of grand personal agenda in life. I've tested as an 8 more than a w8 (even though my 8 wing is still strong) because the sense of aggressiveness often was the only thing that made me feel I had energy for anything at all most of the time :p

Being a 9 can be tough. Narcotics and chillin' can only take one so far. Get off your arse! I'd also advise meditation to any 9 that is confused about a constant sense of apathy. It's worked wonders on me. It's seemingly paradoxical, but sitting on your arse in a certain way can be just what you need. Sports might also be a necessity.

The 9s distaste for conflict (and if you are w8 you're even more conflicted about this) requires, in my opinion, one to delve deeper into what it means to live in harmony and peace in this world AND MORE IMPORTANTLY to discipline yourself in some way that gets you in contact with your body. I'll wager there are a lot of 9s who are as clumsy as me. Off course some ISFPs probably don't know what I'm talking about, but as a Ne-dominant, Se is kind of out of reach.

This post might sound ridiculous. But I'm very glad I found out I'm a 9 since as an ENFP it has stirred much internal conflict between a fixation with sloth and Ne grandiose goals. Motivation is a very important thing in life, and I think MBTI is really poor because it only tells you what tools you use...not what makes you WANT to use those tools.

Anyways fair thee well my slothful friends. Lay down the "peace pipe" (and I doesn't have to be the narcotics as others 9s probably know) and go forth into the world!

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I laid some pipe in yo momma.

Seriously: I am lazy, yet I work hard. Discipline is pretty important for a 9 to actually accomplish anything in this world. Discipline runs counter to my instincts so badly, yet I recognize its uses.

G

Glycerine

Having 9 as my second type in my tri-type combined with 5 makes me really lazy. Thank goodness the 3 kicks my ass to actually accomplish things. lol.

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Thank you for this topic. It might inspire more 9s to get out and do something instead of clogging Enneagram forums all over the Net with topics about how awesome being a 9 is.

Snoopy22

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I work hard when I’m being paid, otherwise please don’t ruffle my cloud.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
Thank you for this topic. It might inspire more 9s to get out and do something instead of clogging Enneagram forums all over the Net with topics about how awesome being a 9 is.

There are topics all over the net about how awesome it is to be 9?? Cool, I had no idea.

Now I'm wondering how many of us have type 2 ADD, or inattentive ADHD, and need either fear, intense pressure, or intense interest to get motivated to get shit finished.... Maybe just some of the Ne's among us, possibly including the OP ([MENTION=4731]Moiety[/MENTION])? I've been reading about it lately. Looks like we may be short of adrenaline and dopamine, which affect motivation, attention, and focus.

Silveresque

I'm very good at wasting time (euphemism for "I'm very lazy" :laugh:). Lately it feels like I have to have a ridiculously large chunk of time available before I'll feel comfortable starting a simple task. I'll put something off all day long until the evening when I have several hours of free time, and then it ends up only taking 10 minutes to do. This even applies to recreation. It seems like I can't start an activity that requires time (such as reading, drawing, or watching a movie) unless I have way more time than I actually need, so I'll end up spending most of my time doing simple and easy things like foruming and listening to music. I blame the 9 in my tritype. :doh: Though the 9 does make me less anxious compared to other 5's. I tend not to worry about things that are beyond my control (and I prefer not to worry in general).

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'll add some advice that a very close 9 to me needs to listen to. It's for 9's that move into unhealthy ranges (like this one). Disassociating and shutting down to avoid conflict, pain, and anxiety is the worst thing a 9 can do. You are disintegrating when you do this. I have known 9's break down so bad that they go from being couch potheads to meth addicts in one last attempt to not have to feel or deal with the stress and anxiety of their life. The worst thing about it, is that once a 9 shuts down to this degree.. its like NO ONE can break through. No amount of talk or rationalizing sways them. They snapped a medal door shut to their inner self, and guess what? Now you've only got yourself to figure it out. I also think that much of the 9's conflict comes from unexpressed anger, I don't understand the psychology behind this (I'm a 4 and my emotions come out when they need to, and then some =P) but my advice is that 9s start really looking at this if they are becoming unheatlhy, because seeing a 9 disintegrate has been one of the worst ones I've observed. Oh ya, btw, 9's are fucking awesome when healthy.

gromit

likes this
I call it being a wad, like a little wadded up sock in the corner or something. Last year (two years ago?) was a little rough with this friend of mine. Spending time with her was super stressful and I couldn't get away, because she was staying in the living room. I would want want to be like that so bad, get away, curl up in bed somewhere safe.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I'll add some advice that a very close 9 to me needs to listen to. It's for 9's that move into unhealthy ranges (like this one). Disassociating and shutting down to avoid conflict, pain, and anxiety is the worst thing a 9 can do. You are disintegrating when you do this. I have known 9's break down so bad that they go from being couch potheads to meth addicts in one last attempt to not have to feel or deal with the stress and anxiety of their life. The worst thing about it, is that once a 9 shuts down to this degree.. its like NO ONE can break through. No amount of talk or rationalizing sways them. They snapped a medal door shut to their inner self, and guess what? Now you've only got yourself to figure it out. I also think that much of the 9's conflict comes from unexpressed anger, I don't understand the psychology behind this (I'm a 4 and my emotions come out when they need to, and then some =P) but my advice is that 9s start really looking at this if they are becoming unheatlhy, because seeing a 9 disintegrate has been one of the worst ones I've observed. Oh ya, btw, 9's are fucking awesome when healthy.

Very true. All of it. I no longer believe it was a coincidence that I started smoking and drinking more alcohol (not that I ever became an alcoholic but I started drinking more frequently) when I traversed the most depressing period in my life. I also remember watching the movie Trainspotting at the time and it making a big impact on me. Not that I wanted to become a heroin addict, but....there was something in that movie that spoke to my darker self. There was a certain undeniable glamour to be a fuckup.

It's also not a coincidence that I've always idolized homeless people, beggars, junkies, vagabonds etc......I saw myself in them. Not consciously at the time, but I understand that now. I've known a lot of bad traits in me. But only lately did I understand stubbornness was at the heart of it. Herein lies the 9's greatest strength and weakness. Or maybe that's something that happens more with 9w8s.

But yes, I believe 9s really are fucking awesome when healthy. This is true of any type of course, but this is a thread for and about 9s and this needs to be said. Our stubbornness can be very unconscious to us so that's why constant little reminders are always important. And by awesome I don't mean in POTENTIAL. I mean in ACTUALITY. What separates the two is of course ACTION.

If a 9 but commits himself to go about agreeing to doing little stuff in their everyday life. Like when it's time to take out the trash and you do agree to taking it out instead of lying on the couch. THEY KEY IS TO BE PRESENT THOUGH. Don't just take out the trash on auto pilot! CHOOSE to take out the trash. This is how a 9 can internalize a lot of anger. In the little things. That's why it never even feels like anger. It's just the whole negativity involved in doing things. If this sounds an awful lot like Zen crap, it's because it kind of is. I will hold no reservations in saying that Zen philosophy might be a great aid for a 9. Of course if you are a stubborn 9 you won't want to take this advice because you might not even consider yourself spiritual. Or because philosophy is not practical. Or because who am I to give you any sound advice when I don't even know you right?

It doesn't matter WHAT you do. What's important for a 9 is just to do. To willingly do something. Trivial things. But do them willingly. Suddenly engaging in life just starts being easier and a lot more enjoyable than one thought possible. 9s need to stop kidding themselves and telling stories to themselves about how they don't want to grow. Only by experiencing a certain degree of internal and external conflict in your life, will you be able to ever experience true inner and outer peace.

And I'll shut up now before I bore people to tears.

On a personal sidenote, now it makes sense why I've always found ISFPs awesome and didn't know why. And a lot of INFJs and even ISTJs.....9 love and peace to you all. You know you want it, you stubborn ass! :)

That's how I see 9s. Stubborn donkeys. They can be tremendously powerful if they but will themselves to MOVE! Oh, and SHUT UP and walk the walk, if you're anything like me :p

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Zen is fairly interesting and (I believe) useful for 9s as well.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYEC4TZsy-Y"]A 9 song[/YOUTUBE]

Let the lyrics sink in.

B

brainheart

reading this OP yesterday combined with my nine year old son yelling at me to stop being so lazy and my husband begging me to do anything- I mean, just SOMETHING- with my life... Apparently all the forces are trying to wake me up, scream in my face, "Time flies, loser. Get off your ass! (and by the way, youre a nine...).

B

brainheart

There are topics all over the net about how awesome it is to be 9?? Cool, I had no idea.

Now I'm wondering how many of us have type 2 ADD, or inattentive ADHD, and need either fear, intense pressure, or intense interest to get motivated to get shit finished.... Maybe just some of the Ne's among us, possibly including the OP ([MENTION=4731]Moiety[/MENTION])? I've been reading about it lately. Looks like we may be short of adrenaline and dopamine, which affect motivation, attention, and focus.

I was diagnosed with that, but the meds just made me even more lazy... (adderall first then I think strattera.) Exercise and action work way better. Avoiding sitting in front of a computer.)

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Exactly! Exercise .... better sleep .... better diet....maybe stop smoking if you are a smoker.....

The key to getting out of a rut for a 9 is to pay attention to your body! You are governed by the gut....and the reason why that statement sounds strange is because we tend to completely lose touch with it along the way! It even affects our decision making.

So take care of your body first of all! And make peace with your laziness when you feel lazy, don't beat yourself for it.

[MENTION=13844]redcheerio[/MENTION] : I never went to the doctor but I raised hell when I was a kid. "Diseases" are just labels doctors use to name some extreme cases of a particular extremely NORMAL human trait. A lone ENFP in an island with 30 ISTJs is bond to be burned at the stake. The key is to understand medication only deals with symptoms and is bad for you on the long term. Enter psychology! Once you start understanding yourself you start dealing with the causes, which are a lot more important in the long term. So I guess maybe I COULD be ADHD by today's standards. Or have been anyway.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
Exactly! Exercise .... better sleep .... better diet....maybe stop smoking if you are a smoker.....

The key to getting out of a rut for a 9 is to pay attention to your body! You are governed by the gut....and the reason why that statement sounds strange is because we tend to completely lose touch with it along the way! It even affects our decision making.

So take care of your body first of all! And make peace with your laziness when you feel lazy, don't beat yourself for it.

This is so true! I think this is partly why it takes some 9s awhile to figure out our enneagram type. If I recall correctly, I think some of the less insightful E9 descriptions talk about being in touch with your body as if we all are, and when I read that I think "nope, not me, next?" But then, compared to a lot of people I am, so maybe it's just a matter of lacking self-perception.

And it's true that for me, exercise and diet make a HUGE difference in my well-being. I thought that was true for everyone, but may be even more so for us. When I was depressed about something, I made sure to go to the gym for an intense workout at least 3 times a week. It completely kept me out of the dumps on the days I worked out, and helped me get over the depression almost completely within a couple of weeks.

[MENTION=13844]redcheerio[/MENTION] : I never went to the doctor but I raised hell when I was a kid. "Diseases" are just labels doctors use to name some extreme cases of a particular extremely NORMAL human trait. A lone ENFP in an island with 30 ISTJs is bond to be burned at the stake. The key is to understand medication only deals with symptoms and is bad for you on the long term. Enter psychology! Once you start understanding yourself you start dealing with the causes, which are a lot more important in the long term. So I guess maybe I COULD be ADHD by today's standards. Or have been anyway.

That's true, I agree. I think we have some awesome advantages, like being creative, learning quickly, working super efficiently under pressure, and being forced to find work we enjoy rather than settling for mind-numbing, soul-destroying work.